Not eating after a workout?

Options
Sometimes I just don't feel hungry after going for a run or after weightlifting is there any drawbacks from this?

Replies

• ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Nope, just eat when you're hungry bro!
  • kdka54
    kdka54 Posts: 12
    Options
    Personally I think there is relatively small window (30 - 90 minutes) of opportunity to refuel after my workouts. When I lift, or do HITT, I prefer to drink a protein drink within 60 minutes of finishing. Generally a good whey protein drink will have some dextrose or maltodextrin to help increase insulin and increase refueling efficiency.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Personally I think there is relatively small window (30 - 90 minutes) of opportunity to refuel after my workouts. When I lift, or do HITT, I prefer to drink a protein drink within 60 minutes of finishing. Generally a good whey protein drink will have some dextrose or maltodextrin to help increase insulin and increase refueling efficiency.

::Sigh::
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

So then at 91 mins. post workout, all muscle cell's receptor sites shut down and won't allow for nutrient absorption?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The anabolic window lasts 24 hours. Eat when you want. You don't have to eat directly after your training, and there isn't a "small window of opportunity" regarding post-workout nutrition.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

So then at 91 mins. post workout, all muscle cell's receptor sites shut down and won't allow for nutrient absorption?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEprrGbA07Ck_VoK7lmYY1GNc8aAFibUhAs_bp8dgwpKS2u8d0rsKGxuMf2Q
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEprrGbA07Ck_VoK7lmYY1GNc8aAFibUhAs_bp8dgwpKS2u8d0rsKGxuMf2Q

It's even worse if you have the shake before bed, past 7pm, it'll turn into fat!
  • willkirton
    willkirton Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you all for the replys I usually tend to to work out later in the evening around 10-11
  • kdka54
    Options
    Wow dude, didn't know it was going to be taken so literally. Seriously, just saying I "personally" subscribe to refueling when glycogen stores are low and you just burned a bunch of calories, it makes sense to try and refuel with nutrients and macro nutrients with easily absorbed foods like whey protein and simple carbs within a few hours. To think you can workout hard, not refuel and think you don't go catabolic at some point in the day is naive.
  • kdka54
    Options
    Sorry if I misled you, I missed your workout time in your first thread, and also did not state that I am completely opposite. I workout at 4:30 am. I use a PWO supplement to give myself some energy and fuel. Since you workout late at night, I agree your body will be well fueled and less susceptible to going catabolic.
  • kdka54
    Options
    @wilkerton - my reply was in response to ACG67's comment about 91 minutes as a "missed opportunity". It was not a direct reply to your original or second post. Good luck