650 LB Virgin Regains His Weight Back!!!

Options

Replies

• parkermegan
    parkermegan Posts: 167
    Options
    So sad :(
  • robinskv
    robinskv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    While it wasn't that rapid, I lost 140 lbs using weight watchers and a gym membership about 7 years ago. Gained 115 of it back in around 5 years so I know how hard it was. The problem with weight watchers is that you don't learn how to live differently. It controls things for you but not in any normal healthy way. And it certainly doesn't teach you what to do AFTER you hit you goal weight.

I believe you really do have to fix the inside first like he says on the video. I only lost the weight thinking I had to do it to meet someone... surprise that all I met were horrible men because I had no idea how to draw appropriate boundaries, etc...

This time the choice to lose weight and be healthy was for me. I still have 40 lbs to go of what I gained back but feel so much healthier, and quite honestly, by eating healthier and exercising LESS than I did before, I'm actually already the size I was last time but am still +40 lbs. It really showed me the difference the right choices make, not just better choices. Good luck to him getting back on track!

I totally disagree with your comments about WW. The whole point of logging your food and counting your points is to show you a new lifestyle. Very similar to MFP actually. Once you hit your goal weight, you meet with a team leader who will tell go over your maintainence plan.
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I want to know where were the doctors when he started gaining so much weight back ?? He gained over 250lbs in 2 years!!! Why didn't someone stop him or do an intervention......he knew how hard it was to lose the 400lbs in the first place....why put yourself through all that misery again???I am praying for him....always...
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. I am sure plenty of people spoke to him about it.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    Never think it can't happen to you.

80% That's what I've heard. 80% of people who lose weight will gain it back.

8 out of 10 chance it'll happen. If I had to bet on any of you or myself regaining the weight I would. Each and every one of us is expecting to be in that 20%, well it just ain't gonna happen.

Let that sink in. Let it scare you. It scares me.

That's why everyone says this is a lifestyle change. It's a change for your whole life. If you can't wait to hit your goal to eat all the foods you've been missing you may as well quit now and save yourself the time. Either we change for good or this is all just temporary.

Set goals for yourself, goals beyond the scale or fitting into a dress size. And once you accomplish those set new ones. This year I've run my first Warrior Dash, in a month I'll take the city fire fighter test and then a Run For Your Lives zombie run after that. Next summer I'm going to go for the Spartan Trifecta, the Sprint, Super and Beast.

If we stop watching what we eat, if we quit exercising, kiss it all goodbye. Never, ever, ever give up.

Thank you for this.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I remember watching this on TLC. I am very surprised to see that he gained all that weight back. At least his girlfriend has stuck by him through it all, strong woman. I hope he is able to lose it again and gets a better support group this time around. People who will really push him. Getting and staying healthy is an uphill battle for sure, I took just a month break from MFP and went back to my starting weight and had to lose it again. Still not at my goal but I hope I can push harder this time.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Never think it can't happen to you.

80% That's what I've heard. 80% of people who lose weight will gain it back.

8 out of 10 chance it'll happen. If I had to bet on any of you or myself regaining the weight I would. Each and every one of us is expecting to be in that 20%, well it just ain't gonna happen.

Let that sink in. Let it scare you. It scares me.

I'm not one of those "It will never happen to me" people. It definitely worries me and I'm only 60 lbs down with 40 still to go. I've been stuck at the same weight for 6 months. No matter what I've done, my weight isn't budging. I keep at it though. A friend of mine said, "I don't know how you keep doing it, I'd have given up already." My mom died of a heart attack at 46, my father is currently dealing with congestive heart failure and my cousin who is my age (35) has to have a triple bypass. I don't give up because I CAN'T give up. This is how I have to be for the rest of my life. That is my current mindset and I hope I can keep it that way.
  • tat2oodmonster
    Options
    so so sad..It's all psychological..if you don't fix that..it's a huge set back for weight loss..
  • Kevinpcarey
    Options
    to me its just some evidence that in the long term Gastric Bypass does not really help
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Oh god, that's awful. He was working at the gym I was going to in 2006.

I agree with the folks who are saying it's psychological. I've struggled with depression, and I know it's a contributing factor to my weight. You don't get to 600+ lbs without there being some serious mental issues.

I hope David gets to the point where the biggest reason he is doing it is for himself.
  • sabotai
    sabotai Posts: 25
    Options
    Hey I weighed more and now weight 248lbs, 6 years after I started... I am still losing currently, but have gone up and down a bit. It is a hard road but I will never be in that position again. I figured out what things actually mean to me, and what it takes to keep it off... I enjoy the exercise, the life, the clothes, and even the food..

My surgery is probably a year or so away, I plan to reach 220 before I schedule everything.

I am 6'3 on a really large frame, and the surgeon expects me to drop 30+lbs from removal of what I can't lose so I may be in the 190s by the end... Which is shocking to me lol..

Wish I could talk to this guy one on one, I am one of the few people in the world that actually knows 100% what he is going through.
  • everet36
    everet36 Posts: 39
    Options
    I lost 35 lbs 5 years ago and have kept it off. I decided to make lifestyle changes and slowly lose the weight, rather than going on these "fad" diets or ridiculous exercise programs that are unrealistic to keep up with. I always try to improve my diet by exploring different kinds of food, and strive to exercise at least an hour a week.

Even if I don't get to the gym I always make sure to take the stairs rather than the elevator, and regardless of what I am eating I practice portion control. Becoming familiar with portion size, as well as the fact that many times you are thirsty and not hungry, have been key for me.
  • steinbok
    steinbok Posts: 82
    Options
    I lost 55#, 18 + years ago. (215 to 160)
    I've kept it off.
    When I hit a certain level, I do something about it. This current loss goes from 172 to 147.
    Losing the weight is only a small part of the game. Keeping it off FOREVER can be difficult. You just can't go back to what you used to do. it's why you get there in the first place. So many seem to go back to those poisonous convenience foods.. They're too easily accessible.

Attitude is the key.
  • prettylolita
    prettylolita Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't think its that easy. What can the doctors do if you don't listen to them. What can your family do if your not willing to do it yourself. Its not that easy. He has to be the one who says enough is enough then he can start to heal.
  • MarianneDarroch
    MarianneDarroch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i just hope he gets the help he needs to get his head round his weight loss this time so he can keep it off for good this time.

I think sadly when we embark on a healthier lifestyle sometimes we don't address the underlying reasons that made us eat/gain weight in the first place and its all to easy to fall back into bad habits.
  • Kevinpcarey
    Options
    I finally got a chance to see the documentary and found out he didnt resort to GB. Sorry!!!
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2155472/The-way-Im-going-Im-going-live-longer-Why-TVs-650lb-Virgin--lost-400lbs-love--morbidly-obese-more.html

I saw this on the Today Show this morning and felt so bad for him - he really needs a good support group.

we could all write him and tell him to join MFP and we could help him!!!
  • andre_Benjamin
    andre_Benjamin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I fully agree with below
    This is a wakeup call for all of us losing weight.

WE MUST ALL GO INTO MAINTENANCE WHEN WE REACH OUR GOAL.
    And we must encourage each other to keep the weight off.

A friend of mine lost 100 pounds and reached her goal.
    Then she said: "I can start eating again."
    (That is a huge mistake!)

So she did go back to her bad eating habits ... and gained it all back in a couple of years...plus another 20 pounds.

No one here can afford to do that. We must stay at our goal weights.
    We cannot "start eating again."
    :heart:
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    He's got the right mindset this time around: focusing on the internal as well as the external. I think that'll add to his success. As the report said, "He just wants a life." I wish the best for him and his future!
  • ravydavy1401
    Options
    so sad, hopefully he can get back on track and with good support around him
  • shygur
    shygur Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is a wakeup call for all of us losing weight.

WE MUST ALL GO INTO MAINTENANCE WHEN WE REACH OUR GOAL.
    And we must encourage each other to keep the weight off.

A friend of mine lost 100 pounds and reached her goal.
    Then she said: "I can start eating again."
    (That is a huge mistake!)

So she did go back to her bad eating habits ... and gained it all back in a couple of years...plus another 20 pounds.

No one here can afford to do that. We must stay at our goal weights.
    We cannot "start eating again."
    :heart:

This! We have to look at this as a lifestyle change not a diet that ends. But what he said about being a mess on the inside is very important too. If you don't work on that the lifestyle change won't stick.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!