Is it OK to have a net calorie goal of 1000 cals or less?

Options
I know they say don't eat less than 1200 calories a day, but is that net calories or gross calories?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    1200 net. You can probably get away with less if you are under 5ft tall.
  • DalexD
    DalexD Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Net. And even then, it's quite low. You have to make sure you're eating back most of your excercise calories too.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Net.

The question I want to ask is why you would even consider 1000 a day when you don't have a particularly large amount to lose, judging by your photos?
  • littlehokie
    Options
    Net. And even then, it's quite low. You have to make sure you're eating back most of your excercise calories too.

It depends on the person, if I ate back most of mine I'd gain weight. I'm usually burning 600 calories a day.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I vaguely recall one study where they put people on a 550 cal/per day diet and found that even a year later, the subjects still had messed up hunger hormones.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Food is fuel for your body. If you put in trash you get trash, but if you put in premium, it will treat itself in a good manner and you will get premium results. Eschew the mindset that eating less is automatically better for you. There is a ying and yang. You can be on both sides of the spectrum (too many calories or too few calories). Eat well and exercise and NET at least 1200 calories. Good luck.
  • thekacers
    thekacers Posts: 68
    Options
    I am so confused by this, too. I have friends who eat less than 1500 calories a day but also burn over 1200 calories doing hours of aerobics. Net calorie wise, they're not eating much, but they're dropping the weight. Is this healthy?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's net. Unless you are very petite, it's probably not a good idea to net that little every day. But just like having a "spike day" (a day very high in calories) isn't bad once in a while, neither is having a day very low in calories once in a while.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Typically, no. If recommended and supervised by a physician- sure. I would consult your doctor first, as that is a very low amount and your body may lose proper functionaing ability and slow your metabolism. And that would make you weak, sick, and give you issues losing/maintaining weight in the long run.
  • jmeddows87
    jmeddows87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

It depends on the person, if I ate back most of mine I'd gain weight. I'm usually burning 600 calories a day.

Me too x
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Net!!! <---- my opinion and it has worked well for me (google was of no assistance when I searched Net vs Calories consumed, lol)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am so confused by this, too. I have friends who eat less than 1500 calories a day but also burn over 1200 calories doing hours of aerobics. Net calorie wise, they're not eating much, but they're dropping the weight. Is this healthy?

It's unlikely that it's healthy, and it's also unlikely that is sustainable. This is the type of behavior that usually leads dieters to burnout and gain weight back. The thrill of losing weight quickly is a powerful force, but our bodies need fuel. A slow steady weigth loss is usually the healthiest and most sustainable way to lose.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Great question OP.

I was confused about this for a while also.
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    No it is not healthy. Sure they are dropping the weight. But they are keeping the fat. You want to lose fat not muscle and water. NET over 1200 a day.
  • alejandraking
    alejandraking Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I am 4 11" and excersice regularly, however, I am having a hard time keeping up with a 1200 calorie consumption. Just started tracking my food intake and am learning about food, servings and nutrition information. Any suggestions for this beginner will be appreciated
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I never eat back all of my exercise cals, so my net is always a little under 1000. I feel full and satisfied at the end of the day so I'm good...
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'd say 1200 is the lowest your net should be, although I've had 1000 or less some days........but if you're super short and tiny, I see no problem with it........
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

These are temporary gains as glycogen stores are refilled and each gram of glycogen can hold about 2.2g of water as well.

Whatever floats your boat.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    when you joined this site i presume it was to lose weight the healthy way starvation is no good you just end up right bck were you started if you put the correct info into mfp when you joined then the cals it gives you for your goals are the cals you should be eating , and when you exercise it adds even more to your day because it as already deducted your cals for your goal so u can eat part or all of these this is for a reason healthy slow weightloss wins all the time . silly low cal diets don,t work .
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I am 4 11" and excersice regularly, however, I am having a hard time keeping up with a 1200 calorie consumption. Just started tracking my food intake and am learning about food, servings and nutrition information. Any suggestions for this beginner will be appreciated

If you are having trouble hitting the 1200 mark try eating non-diet food. Of course eat healthy. But buy regular milk, not fat free. Eat the whole egg, as opposed to just the whites. If you can't enough calories then there is little reason to be cutting them in the first place. Good luck!