Paleo Diet... yes.. no..

Options

Replies

• Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    The most important aspect to choosing a "diet", is are you going to be able to eat like this forever? If Paleo sounds sustainable, then from what I can tell it is healthy and not some crazy fad. If I thought I could live without grains I would do it too.

I'm not paleo, but I do like to come on these threads because they attract paleo stalkers. Your statement is true. I really don't see anything wrong with it and if people desire to eat like that, than more power to them.

They're not going to keel over and die because they don't eat bread, etc (food just isn't very convenient). Pretty much what's on their list of eats covers all their nutritional needs.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    This is going way off topic and we'll probably be told to knock it off...but you're saying that despite the fact that humans (or some evolutionary form of human) has been around for millions of years...agriculture is only 10,000 years old? Unlikely.

Uhm, I'm trying really hard to hold back some snarky remarks right now. Do some research instead of pretending to know what you're talking about.

^^^this.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    strict paleo is very restrictive - many will not even eat fruit or nuts.

I know many people who follow it and I don't know anyone who does this. Of course, they are athletes... Even the 30 day protocol in The Paleo Solution book included fruit and nuts. That's the one I followed for the 30 day challenge.

People either believe it's a sustainable lifestlye or not. People either believe the principals behind it or not. Doesn't really matter. As long as you're getting good nutrition that meets your goals.
  • bzgl40
    bzgl40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think the basis of Paleo is a good concept. They basically suggest real, whole, unprocessed foods. No brainer. I do not think the science supports some of what they say regarding things like beans and what not. I also consider the fact that they make "exceptions" for endurance athletes. IMO if you have to make exceptions then there is a fundamental flaw in the program. But, there is no arguing with results though. Folks are losing weight, getting healthy. They are doing it cause they are eliminating many of the things that caused programs and could probably be successful also eating things like beans, perhaps dairy, maybe even some grains. But, none of those things are really all that necessary and Paleo is working for them so I just leave it be. I personally think everyone is a little bit different and what works for one might not work for another and you need to find out what works for you.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I think if you're curious try it for a month or two. If you find that you really can't cut out dairy or grain then go back to eating them. If you find you don't miss them then keep on the Paleo diet. It doesn't sound harmful to me (just make sure you're getting enough calcium/vitamin d) and I've never heard of anyone getting sick from it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If you were hardcore, you'd do the real Paleo diet, only foods that would have been around in the Paleozoic era
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Paleo diet is flawed, the majority of what people seem to eat on that diet never existed back then anyway. BRB eating paleo cookies, brownies.

paleo-cream-puffs.gif
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you were hardcore, you'd do the real Paleo diet, only foods that would have been around in the Paleozoic era

Only plants and animals that are currently EXTINCT

Except SHARKS. You have to eat sharks.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Only plants and animals that are currently EXTINCT

Except SHARKS. You have to eat sharks.

Do you have any good recipes for coelacanth?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Do you have any good recipes for coelacanth?

Raw and stuffed with trilobites
  • scohar4
    scohar4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started it in January following all aspects of Mark Sisson's "Primal Blueprint" I quit processed foods and grains cold turkey. I am seeing great results. 240lbs to 170(and still moving to my ideal), pants from 40 to size 32. I am not hungry, my previous digestive problems are gone. Blood pressure is down, Cholesterol is down. It's been amazing. I highly recommend it
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    For those who sort of put me in my place on the first page...you're right...I should do some research. Can someone provide me with a good link?
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm in the camp of "I don't agree with totally eliminating anything". I rarely eat grains or pasta......but when I feel my energy slumping during workouts, a natural peanut butter sandwich on oatnut bread with a glass of skim milk at bedtime seems to jack things up for the next workout. Probably just repleneshing some muscle glycogen. And boy is it tasty!
  • diabolotry
    diabolotry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For those who sort of put me in my place on the first page...you're right...I should do some research. Can someone provide me with a good link?
    http://www.lmgtfy.com
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    primal is what I do b/c they include some dairy and fruit. carbs are ok in the form of quick oats, steel oats, quinoa and I eat a little ezekial bread. For dairy I have cottage cheese, greek plain yogurt and any cheese I want. I drink unsweetened almond milks in my protein shakes. I eat more meat, chicken, fish, tuna, nuts,seeds and eggs than I ever have. I lost 10lbs without trying and am wearing a size 0-2 pants. google mark's daily apple/primal blueprint I feel like a broken record b/c I tell people- "increase protein, decrease carbs"
    I
    Also it's 80/20
    You eat clean 80% of the time and then don't beat yourself up the other 20% when you have a little ice cream cake for a bday or eat some pizza at a restaurant (real life!).
    And it's 80% what you eat and 20% exercise. I used to exercise 4-5 days a week and I was still slowly creeping up on the scales.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the input guys. I have been reading about it and i dont think its for me.
    I already have cut out most processed foods and only eat Organic meats and dairy
    I think i will be sticking to that for now..
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The jump in obesity in the last 100 years alone proves that our bodies can't handle what our society develops.

Try the last 30 or 40 years. Eat what your grandparents ate, i.e. real, unprocessed, homecooked food, including grains, and you'll be on top form!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The jump in obesity in the last 100 years alone proves that our bodies can't handle what our society develops.

The jump in obesity only proves that there is a trend towards excess consumption of calories.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Try the last 30 or 40 years. Eat what your grandparents ate, i.e. real, unprocessed, homecooked food, including grains, and you'll be on top form!

Your grandparents worked a lot harder and burned more calories per day then people do today.
  • ahsats
    ahsats Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When I eat a paleo diet for an extended period of time I feel amazing and when I bring grains back in I feel pretty crappy. However I totally don't buy any of the bro science that is spouted or even the entire ~eating like an ancestor~ basis. It's a good, sustainable way of eating but with some very.. invested followers.