Why 0 PLY and MONO Fats?

Options
I don't understand why I should strive for zero PLY and MONO fats each day. Can someone explain that to me?

If they are supposedly healthy for you according to the Mayo Clinic:
Mayo Clinic had this information, the link is there for more info:

HEALTHY FATS:
* Monounsaturated fat remains liquid at room temperature but may start to solidify in the refrigerator. Foods high in monounsaturated fat include olive, peanut and canola oils. Avocados and most nuts also have high amounts of monounsaturated fat.

* Polyunsaturated fat is usually liquid at room temperature and in the refrigerator. Foods high in polyunsaturated fats include vegetable oils, such as safflower, corn, sunflower, soy and cottonseed oils.

* Omega-3 fatty acids are polyunsaturated fats found mostly in seafood. Good sources of omega 3s include fatty, cold-water fish, such as salmon, mackerel and herring. Flaxseeds, flax oil and walnuts also contain omega-3 fatty acids, and small amounts are found in soybean and canola oils.

HARMFUL FATS:
* Saturated fat. Usually solid or waxy at room temperature, saturated fat is most often found in animal products — such as red meat, poultry, butter and whole milk. Other foods high in saturated fat include coconut, palm and other tropical oils.

* Trans fat. Also referred to as trans-fatty acids, trans fat comes from adding hydrogen to vegetable oil through a process called hydrogenation. This makes the fat more solid and less likely to turn rancid. Hydrogenated fat is a common ingredient in commercial baked goods — such as crackers, cookies and cakes — and in fried foods such as doughnuts and french fries. Shortenings and some margarines also are high in trans fat.

* Dietary cholesterol. Your body naturally manufactures all of the cholesterol it needs, but you also get cholesterol from animal products, such as meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, dairy products, lard and butter.

Link

Monday, April 03, 2006, 10:59 PM

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    And who's telling you this?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Where did you hear that you should try to get 0 unsaturated fat? The only fat that should really be 0 in a sensible diet is trans fat.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Perhaps she's getting the idea from the idea from the red negative numbers on the app?
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    On those you can set it for however many grams you want to consume ( do research) and customize your goals with that number and MFP will help you track it. Now...because some of the foods in the database are added by individuals you may or may not be getting an accurate count of the grams you are consuming.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Whoever told you that information - never listen to another word they say about food. That's all you need to know.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    you can go to goals -change -custom and put whatever number you want for those fats.
    mfp has 0 as there is no amount recommended officially
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I use almost all mono and saturated fats. The saturated fat BS irritates me a bit. Yes they are best in moderation but they are not BAD for you. Your body is made up of saturated fat, you are a mammal and your cells reproduce using this. It is also used as an antioxidant in your body to prevent and fight disease. I just had my blood panel and a 29 point inspection done and I am perfect in all categories this is after eating the way I do after a full year. Also I have not been sick in 5 years and havent had the flu in over 20 years. So do more and better research.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Whoever told you that information - never listen to another word they say about food. That's all you need to know.

This.

Take what they say, and basically just do the opposite of that.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    1229116384586.gif
  • connieannw
    connieannw Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes - this website puts both those fats at zero and when you have a food that has them in it - you get red numbers showing you to be in the negative.
    Very disconcerting.

Next question - how many grams should be the goal?
  • jones137
    jones137 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I would focus on your total daily goal and try and obtain most from Mono & Poly. Like another poster mentioned, nothing wrong with saturated fats in moderation. I just try to hit my daily fat goal while staying under 15 grams of saturated fat.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yes - this website puts both those fats at zero and when you have a food that has them in it - you get red numbers showing you to be in the negative.
    Very disconcerting.

I think that might stem from the fact that there is no recommended daily # of Poly or Mono. I think that it's probably a good thing if the majority of your fat intake was comprised of these rather than saturated or trans.