Weight loss + back pain?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm 22 and my current stats are 5'5" - 139lbs.

I've suffered from chronic back pain since I was 19 and have gained about 35lbs over the past two years or so due to being less active. My highest weight being 152lbs. I have a slipped disc which causes constant sciatic pain down my left leg, spondylolisthesis below the slipped disc, and slight scoliosis due to my body pulling away from the pain. I've tried everything and been passed around like a guinea pig, now I'm on the waiting list for surgery.

I recently joined the gym for the first time because I want to take my life back and feel better about my body. My hips and body are crooked due to my condition, and it looks even worse when you have love handles bulging out! My weight goes up and down, I've usually maintained around 130lbs by being careful with what I eat, but I was shocked to see I'm almost at 140lbs again :( guess I need to keep a strict diet now because it's getting harder to lose this weight & keep it off.

Has anyone else suffered from back pain and managed to lose weight despite your ailments? Would be inspiring and motivating to read about your stories! Rhian x

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Well, my story's not too inspiring but I do have issues with both of my knees and my hips, on and off. Especially if the weather isn't bright and sunny. I hope they're able to get you into surgery sooner than later. Try to focus on the fact that if you take off the weight, recovery will be easier on your body. Good luck!
  • Ladronzz
    Ladronzz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey sorry to hear about your pain...I used to have some back pain as well maybe not as severe as you i also used to push through and just workout in pain...My point is i gave accupuncture a shot and i was better within 3 or 4 weeks and i was dealing with that pain for YEARS....just a thought...I mean it's worth a try right?
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    I have severe nerve damage caused by an epidural injection. This causes extreme pain and loss of sensation in my legs.

I have lost weight before using the wii fit - doing the exercises which were least painful.

However, this time I have tried swimming and it is brilliant. I first started with the primary idea of losing weight and toning up (which along with watching what you eat, works) however I am now going as it is a source of temporary pain relief and I get some feeling back for a few short hours.. If i could be in the water 24/7 I would be fine! Being in the water is gentle and there is no impact anywhere.

I would recommend trying swimming or swimming pool related exercise.

Good luck x
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Worked for Budweiser for 12 years with chronic lower back problems... Me and the Chiropractor was on a first name basis for over a decade now.. Heck these days, I call his private cell (he goes to my YMCA) and he gets me in pretty much same day I call... LOL 3 years ago I could barely walk (severely bad knee's, bad lower back, and 560 lbs) I used the pool at first and now with braces hit the weight room and elliptical daily (still use the pool too) and constant maintenance to keep my back from going out... So yes very possible to do it, just got to be smart about it and not do anything stupid to set yourself back... The weightloss and strengthening has help my back tremendously, still have issue from time to time (am having some now) but over all it is better today then it use to be.... Best of Luck.....
  • RhianAlyssa
    Options
    lmelangley - I know what you mean about the weather, I just want to hibernate in winter, my joints hate the cold! I'm hoping to lose as much as I can whilst strengthening my core before the surgery :)

Ladronzz - That's probably the only thing I haven't tried yet! I've heard horror stories and been put off, but I may give it a go some day haha.

hanni1992b - Oh that's horrible! Sorry that happened to you. I'm glad you've found a way to cope, there's a pool at my gym which I've used a few times as I also love to swim! I had an epidural in December which was meant to block the pain for a year, instead the fluid has compressed the area more, I had to leave college because I can't even sit up straight for longer than an hour now. Did you know they're starting to do aqua zumba classes in swimming pools now? Sounds interesting lol :)

EdDavenport - Haha that's cool, I used to see a chiropractor when the pain first started, was too expensive though so I stopped going after about 3 months. How long did it take you to start feeling better? & well done, that's an incredible weight loss! I love the elliptical, I used to have one at home but all my stuff is in storage, so I make the most of the gym now! What exercises would you recommend for lower back/overall strengthening?
  • Parisloudrew
    Options
    Hi Rhian! Your story is very similar to mine so can completely empathise :) I am also 22, and have scoliosis and spondylosis and have had the corrective surgery (although it could have been a bit better!). Have you tried pilates? I found the exercises were very similar to physio and with our backs its good to keep strong core muscles. Its very hard to lose weight with back pain and it is definitely harder directly after surgery but the exercises I've always found good for my back are swimming (cliche), pilates and the cross trainer. When is your surgery booked for? Good luck!
    Paris
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I have slight scoliosis, so I live with chronic low back pain. The absolute best thing I've ever done for my back is yoga. Specifically, Rodney Yi (Sp?) yoga DVD's for backs. I used to take Excedrine Back and Body (which has been taken off the market!!!!) every single night so I could get to sleep. Since I started doing the yoga stretching DVDs in the evenings, I haven't had to take anything at all. The DVDs both stretch and strengthen - just a very good low-impact exercise. I can't recommend it enough!
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm 22 and my current stats are 5'5" - 139lbs.

I've suffered from chronic back pain since I was 19 and have gained about 35lbs over the past two years or so due to being less active. My highest weight being 152lbs. I have a slipped disc which causes constant sciatic pain down my left leg, spondylolisthesis below the slipped disc, and slight scoliosis due to my body pulling away from the pain. I've tried everything and been passed around like a guinea pig, now I'm on the waiting list for surgery.

I recently joined the gym for the first time because I want to take my life back and feel better about my body. My hips and body are crooked due to my condition, and it looks even worse when you have love handles bulging out! My weight goes up and down, I've usually maintained around 130lbs by being careful with what I eat, but I was shocked to see I'm almost at 140lbs again :( guess I need to keep a strict diet now because it's getting harder to lose this weight & keep it off.

Has anyone else suffered from back pain and managed to lose weight despite your ailments? Would be inspiring and motivating to read about your stories! Rhian x

Dam you look good!! (oh sorry off topic....anyways I have had back pain since I was 18 from playing football and baseball however I have never needed to lose weight like that. I can help you though I have stayed active involving myself in rock climbing, running, paintball, skydiving (I am going in a couple weeks), etc. I have wanted to stay active so I could stretch my back out and young (only being 22). Also a chiropractor can do wonders on your back!!! Don't let anything keep you away from what you love to do, find a way to do it!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    When I had ruptured my lower disc I was miserable. I started water walking at the local Y and it made all the difference. The water was warm and soothing so I was not in pain which allowed me to move properly while I was in the water. Within a couple weeks I was much improved after almost one year of constant pain was also able to go off the heavy duty painkillers.
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I also have spondylolesthesis with nerve impingement. It's genetic. My mother has had 5 back surgeries. I will say, if you can avoid surgery, DO. It's a slippery slope. You're too young to go down that road.

I have found GREAT pain relief with pilates. It's all about the core strength for me. And Jillian Michaels "No more trouble zones". It's seriously amazing. I haven't had radiating pain down my legs in MONTHS. Don't do anything that arches your back though.
  • RhianAlyssa
    Options
    louloudrew - Oh wow, I never thought I'd find someone my age with the same conditions! Are you okay now? How did you find the surgery? I used to do pilates at the physio centre but I got fed up and quit, I know I should have stuck with it, but when you're in pain you lose hope and give up very quickly lol. My gym has weekly pilates classes so I'm waiting until there's a space available so I can join and try again. Not sure when my op will be yet, so hopefully I'll have time to reach my goals :)

katejkelley - I'll keep that in mind, thanks! Hoping to try yoga once I get flexibility back (I can raise my right leg 90 degrees, but left leg only 30 degrees) I'm as stiff as a board right now haha.

kgprice11 - Aw glad you could still keep an active lifestyle and worked through the pain, I can't wait to be able to do those things again! I can't even go to the cinema anymore because I can't sit through a film, I'd probably die if I went running as I already limp when I walk haha.

eli46383 - I know the feeling :( glad you pulled through it! What painkillers were you on? My doctor prescribed me tramadol but I rarely take them as they make me drowsy and I can't concentrate. I must try to go to the pool more often!

miniberger - Last year the surgeon actually said he didn't want to operate on my spine as I'm so young, and referred me for a pain block epidural instead. Unfortunately, the epidural made it worse and now the same surgeon has agreed to do the surgery. If I knew before that the epidural might make it worse, I probably would have lived with the pain with no help as surgery terrifies me and I've always been against it. I'm waiting to get a place in my gym's pilates class as I did enjoy it when I did a few sessions briefly. I'll make a note of that dvd, thank you :)