Need a Paleo Dessert Recipe

Options
msbanana
msbanana Posts: 793 Member
Hey y'all,
I don't want to hear anyone weighing in on the Paleo Diet. That's not what this post is for- so please keep your opinions to yourself. I eat Paleo. It works for me, the end.

That said, I have been tasked with bringing dessert to the boyfriend's parent's place tomorrow and they are "out of the box" people. Meaning pretty much everything they eat comes out of a box. I would like to dazzle them with a wonderful Paleo dessert that even the pickiest of eaters will love.

I've been cruising my favorite sites for recipes (civilized caveman cooking, everyday paleo, Mark's daily apple, even gluten free goddess, and gluten free girl) and I'm not coming up with anything that makes me go "HELL YES!! I'M MAKING THAT!"

Does anyone out there have a favorite dessert recipe that they bring to "regular" family functions that EVERYBODY loves?

Thanks!
:drinker:

Replies

• missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I make paleo cookies with almond flour. They're not really a big beautiful desert, but they're delicious. If you'd like, I could post my recipe.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You could grill up some peaches and bananas and serve them with chocolate custard!

Chocolate Custard

1 can coconut milk

1 cup dark chocolate chips

1 teaspoon cinnamon

A splash of rum (optional)

In a sauce pan, melt the chocolate chips into the coconut milk over medium low heat while stirring with a whisk. Add the cinnamon and the splash of rum. Pour the custard into small serving dishes and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Top with homemade whipped cream. If you do not want your kids to acquire a taste for liquor just yet, you can always pour half of the custard into serving dishes before you add the rum to the remaining half for grown ups! I am sure you can make this a million different ways so get creative and enjoy! Makes seven 1/4 cup servings – less if you serve in larger serving dishes.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yum to the custard above!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the good ideas... that custard sounds DELISH! :)
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Bumping this older thread because I'm in need of the same thing for a BBQ tomorrow. Anyone have a good ideas?

I would even consider going "Paleo Lite" (and allow dairy or honey in the ingredients) in order to convert some folks over.
  • squirrleydoodle
    squirrleydoodle Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    you could make a trifle with the custard and the almond flour cookies and some fruit thats been simmered down to a jammy consistancy
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    can u have sweetner? as rhubarb wd be real nice with that custard recipe.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    CheeseCake. Extra Cheese and **** ton of Cake
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    bump, for later.
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    pine nuts
    raisins
    couscous or tefa - unflavored
    apple slices dried, diced
    honey w/comb
    sea salt

pine nuts as is, raisins are best halved
    puffed teffa - do not cook, it will not work with the honey - unless you air dry it and make your own puff

apple slices should not be crackle-dry, think fruit rollup

honey comb keep at room temp or just past - set in the sun in a glass container.

mix it all, and just last put in the honeycomb- cube it with a really sharp really warm knife..slice dont saw...

mix it all in with your fingers, the honey will leak and coat everything...I then roll it up into a baggette like stick, roll it in waxed paper, tie it off by looping around in a slip stich and refrigerate in a low-humidity freezer...do not put it in plastic.

sprinkle with small amount of sea salt to taste...this also makes a wonderful smore replacement.

You can also add rabbit chunks, buffalo, sausage pieces, etc. and turn it into a compact meal or hunting ration...
  • notaperfect10
    notaperfect10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Clafouti...? Make it up like a batter, then cook in the oven like a flan. Traditionally made with cherries, which I love, but any fruit thats not too watery would work. I have a recipe some where, I'll go and look if anyone would like it!! :wink:
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Didnt know cavemen ate dessert. News to me.
  • MissMollieD
    MissMollieD Posts: 130
    Options
    Do you eat coconut milk? Put a can of Thai Coconut milk in the fridge for a while (like at least a few hours). Open it from the bottom and all the cream from the milk has settled and you can scoop it out and whip it. Adding a little of the liquid as needed for consistency. Add fruit and cinnamon and enjoy!
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at www.genaw.com? It's a great site for low carb recipes and she's got some great desserts on there! Good luck to you!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the Paleo diet shun processed foods? If so not sure why people are suggesting using various milks, flours, choc chips etc

Maybe bananas drizzled with honey would work
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Don't be "that person".
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the Paleo diet shun processed foods? If so not sure why people are suggesting using various milks, flours, choc chips etc

Maybe bananas drizzled with honey would work

Coconut milk is fine as long as its harvested by hand from grass fed coconuts.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You could grill up some peaches and bananas and serve them with chocolate custard!

Chocolate Custard

1 can coconut milk

1 cup dark chocolate chips

1 teaspoon cinnamon

A splash of rum (optional)

In a sauce pan, melt the chocolate chips into the coconut milk over medium low heat while stirring with a whisk. Add the cinnamon and the splash of rum. Pour the custard into small serving dishes and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Top with homemade whipped cream. If you do not want your kids to acquire a taste for liquor just yet, you can always pour half of the custard into serving dishes before you add the rum to the remaining half for grown ups! I am sure you can make this a million different ways so get creative and enjoy! Makes seven 1/4 cup servings – less if you serve in larger serving dishes.

Isn't dark chocolate, or any chocolate for that matter, not part of Paleo, as it comes from a bean?