Not enough sodium?

Options
According to this website I am supposed to be having 2500mg of sodium a day, but I never come close to that. I have always heard that sodium is bad, but I know that you need a certain amount to stay healthy, how low is too low? I usually have over 1500mg left for the day when I finish eating. I am right around what I am supposed to be on all my other nutrients. I am not trying to avoid sodium, I'm just eating healthy. Anyone know more about this?

Replies

• CinthyNair
    Options
    Actually, the lesser sodium one consumes, the lesser water is retained in the body. I usually consume anything between 500-1500mg a day.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    2400 mg is based on a 2000 calorie diet, so proportionately to your calorie intake would be how much sodium you need..

So for a 1400 calorie diet, the amount of sodium would be 1680 mg.
  • savvystephy
    Options
    The human body requires about 500 mg of sodium per day, while the average American usually ingests between 2,300-6,900 mg each day. The Estimated Safe and Adequate Daily Intake (ESADDI) for sodium was determined by the Committee on Dietary Allowance and the Food and Nutrition Board to be approximately 1,100-3,300 mg per day.

For most individuals, reducing dietary sodium levels to the ESADDI range simply means decreasing the amount of salt used in cooking and at the table. For example, one might omit salt in cooking, and only add salt at the table after tasting the food. Not adding any salt would be even more effective. If further sodium control is desired, one must start reading labels and become familiar with the new reduced sodium foods.

From: http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/medicaldepartments/foodandnutrition/sodiumsavvy/index.html
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Wow, I wish I could stay under my sodium limit. I am usually over by 500-1000 every day. You sodium ninjas must teach me your ways! *bows down*
  • equinegirl200
    equinegirl200 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thats helpful, thanks!
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Thats helpful, thanks!

Yeah, no problem! :smile:
  • mystasia
    mystasia Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    How can you get your sodium so low? If you dont mind me asking that is. I have such a hard time, I am always over on it... :(
  • equinegirl200
    equinegirl200 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was trying to figure that out last night, I think it's because I am unable to eat gluten. I am unable to eat most processed and packaged foods which are usually full of sodium (and gluten!). I eat mostly fresh foods, I'm guessing that is part of it!