Poll: Low Carb and Libido

I've read that on a low carb high fat diet, the libido increases. Some people have reported a decrease in sex-drive. I'm talking, Atkins, Keto, Primal, Paleo. Everyone's body responds differently to low carb -high fat. I'd like to know, if you don't mind, increase or decrease. FIY, I'm on Keto.

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    If I eat low carb I don't feel like doing anything at all. Head is foggy, I feal weak and nauseous and I'm unco-ordinated. I don't seem to remember being particularly up for 'it' either.
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    HunterKiller_wechange Posts: 369 Member
    Never affected me. Still like a shatterproof ruler twanged on the edge of a desk if you get what i mean! :wink:
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    I've read that on a low carb high fat diet, the libido increases. Some people have reported a decrease in sex-drive. I'm talking, Atkins, Keto, Primal, Paleo. Everyone's body responds differently to low carb -high fat. I'd like to know, if you don't mind, increase or decrease. FIY, I'm on Keto.

I want to marry bacon. Doesn't that count?
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Keto....definitely increase. : )
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    I've gone Paleo, and I've had a huge increase in libido. Of course, that could just be because lately there have been more cute boys in my life. Not sure which one is the actual cause!
  • tlamarch
    tlamarch Posts: 105
    I keep my carbs any where from 25-50, sex drive has sky rocketed
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Started upping my protein and decreasing my carbs by quite a bit compared to how I had been eating... I don't miss the carbs, I don't crave them anymore. The protein keeps me full and I eat every 3 hours...

As for your main question... DUDE. I've already started brainstorming as to where I can sneak in a quickie during lunch break later.

:bigsmile:
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    My carbs are around 25-35 and libido has returned 10 fold
  • Masharitos
    Masharitos Posts: 106

I want to marry bacon. Doesn't that count?

I completely understand and support that, and at times, think about fried cheese a bit too much. :)
  • Masharitos
    If I eat low carb I don't feel like doing anything at all. Head is foggy, I feal weak and nauseous and I'm unco-ordinated. I don't seem to remember being particularly up for 'it' either.

Have you low carbed past the induction period? Sounds like you just had the flu.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member

Have you low carbed past the induction period? Sounds like you just had the flu.
    Yeah, couldn't really do it. Needing to drive in London and all...
  • Ash6772
    Ash6772 Posts: 18 Member
    under 50g carbs/day over 100g protein. definite INCREASE!!!
  • Masharitos
    I've been doing Keto for about 3 weeks. See no change. That's why I ask. I look forward to an increase. :tongue: Thank you all for sharing.
  • tlamarch
    tlamarch Posts: 105
    it seems like its a female thing? but I'll stick with the low carb just in case that what is behind the huge increase
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    When i did the low carb thing, there was no difference in libido that i remember.

HOWEVER when i did the high carb low fat vegan thing: WOW it's like i'm a teenager again.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Keep in mind if your asking a weight loss site what they think....

Weight loss tends to increase sex drive in certain cases...

So it may not be the diet. Personally I would love to hear of a healthy diet that kills my drive :p
  • Masharitos
    it seems like its a female thing? but I'll stick with the low carb just in case that what is behind the huge increase
    What do you mean by female thing? I've looked at similar topics on keto forums (mostly men), and it seems there are changes in male libido. I asked the question on MFP primarily because the other forums are mostly men who cannot discuss the topic with each other without being derogatory and childish.

As far as being healthy leading to and increase in sex drive, I definitely agree. I've been healthy for over a year. But now I'm on keto, and wanted to know if a low carb... lifestyle changes libido, not weight loss. There are plenty of people who are not on low carb for weight loss purposes. They use MFP to keep track. I think that's what I mean.
  • Paden55
    Paden55 Posts: 1
    A bit late but a big thumbs up on increased sex drive. I lost steady weight over a six month period (40 pounds), was happy with my weight. Then discovered ketosis. It wasn't until ketosis and another 10 pound lost that my drive increased dramatically. I am 47 yo male and my morning "drive" is back. It hasn't been around for over 10 years
  • cassika1
    cassika1 Posts: 10 Member
    I typically have a window in the middle of the month but on Keto it varies. My partner isn't dieting but he seems to be more interested lately. Maybe my pheromones are in overdrive. The only killer is the acetone breath.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Primal - ug, ug definite increase!