Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
I have been doing p90x workouts and up until now didn't think using a heart rate monitor was important. I would like one that pretty accurately estimates calories burned. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind I should buy?

Replies

• sam2674
    sam2674 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump..would like to know as well
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    bump ... I have the same question, thanks for posting! :)
  • AbbeyRysMom
    AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I adore my Polar FT4 - its not frilly, its just a basic chest strap monitor with a watch, measures heart rate, cals burned and how long the activity was. That's pretty much all, and its perfect for me. HTH
  • mandy031383
    mandy031383 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When I was asking around I heard a good one without being to expensive is Polar. I ordered the FT4 which had good reviews in all the sites I looked at. I get it today so I won't know till I try it out myself but it seemed to be one that people liked. Found mine on Amazon for 70 regularly 100.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Hmm, the 2 or 3 threads posted today on this topic all indicated the Polar FT4 or FT7.

I like my FT7.
    I feel like it's overly generous though.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I did some research and found that you want ones that allow you to enter in gender, age, height, and weight for the best accuracy. I went with the Polar FT7. I looked at Timex and Mio before going with the Polar.
  • rmarshalla
    rmarshalla Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I adore my Polar FT4 - its not frilly, its just a basic chest strap monitor with a watch, measures heart rate, cals burned and how long the activity was. That's pretty much all, and its perfect for me. HTH

I use the same. I love it. Simple, straight forward, and said to be pretty accurate. Worth the $80+ investment.
  • lfb0025
    lfb0025 Posts: 4
    Options
    I think I'm going to go with the polar FT4 also! thank you all! :)
  • AbbeyRysMom
    AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bodytronics.com is where i got mine. cheaper than amazon, free shipping and all the colors cost the same, unlike amazon. theres a coupon code floating around somewhere too.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    If your just going ot use it indoors and only for HRM then the Polar FT4 seems to be a favorite of most people. But if you think you might use it outside Running, biking then you might want to consider a GPS, HRM Garmin has a nice collection I use a Garmin 305 but when its time to upgade Im gonna get a Garmin 410. There is a cost associated with this so if you dont think you will ever run or bicycle outside the a standard HRM would be more than sufficient.
  • eclare87
    eclare87 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... Why wouldn't it work outside?
  • TheChangingMan
    TheChangingMan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... Why wouldn't it work outside?

It would.

It's just that the Garmin has GPS built in so you can map / track your run / ride. They're good.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance N4 - works great. Chest strap/watch type with input for your gender, height, weight, activity level, max heart rate, etc, etc. When doing my research & shopping for one, it was between the New Balance or a Polar - the New Balance came up on eBay for $26, brand new in the box, so that's what I got.

I found searching here for HRM or heart rate monitor will get you heaps of threads with tons of info and opinions on the various models. Then I checked Amazon for price and customer reviews - very helpful in narrowing down the choices. I was on a budget so I turned to eBay for auctions on new models from sellers who take returns, just in case there was a problem.
  • eclare87
    eclare87 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    But if you are running on a trail with mile markers or you look up your route beforehand, then that wouldn't matter right?
  • aimeem2
    aimeem2 Posts: 35
    Options
    I LOVE my polar ft40. It's super accurate and the chest strap is barely noticeable. Search around, you can get it much cheaper if you don't buy it directly from Polar. (I think retail was $170, I got mine for $108)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    But if you are running on a trail with mile markers or you look up your route beforehand, then that wouldn't matter right?

The garmin also does pacing at a glance your HR along with time ect ect ect. And you can upload all the data to their website and it maps it out with charts that show your route along with your pace and HR even elevation its a nice tool to use. I really miss it on the rare ocassion the battery runs out before my run is over or I just forgot to charge it.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4, and use my iphone with runkeeper to track my run and listen to some music :bigsmile:
  • dangerdj
    Options
    I made the mistake of buying the New Balance (NB) Duo Sport. Great if you just want a FT (finger touch) heartrate but the chest strap just doesn't work properly - I've changed the battery, moistened the contact area, repositioned and the best I can get is about 4 or 5 minutes of real-time HR tracking. I'm going to see if I can return it and get a Polar FT40!