Sites that plan meals and provide grocery lists?

Options
Kandi150
Kandi150 Posts: 167 Member
I've seen a couple sites but I'm not looking for some gourmet meals just some simple HEALTHY meals to help me learn to eat healthier. I'm single and don't really need to cook huge meals. I've been buying the frozen meals but dont like all the extra crap thats in them. HELP!! Please :o)

Replies

• adr810
    adr810 Posts: 18
    Options
    I LOVE http://www.skinnytaste.com/ she has lot's of great healthy and easy recipes. The website also has two other features one that allows you to save the recipe to a "recipe box" for later and you can also add her recipes to a shopping list that can be printed out! I have tried at least 10 of her recipes and they have all been amazing!
  • HeartlessHarlot
    HeartlessHarlot Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    While in Culinary Arts we used this program, MasterCook, it is around $20 and available for either electronic download or in CD form.

It comes preloaded with about 20 different cookbooks, and you can create your own, it will let you scale the recipes to feed however many people you want, you can compile menus and create grocery lists.

You can even go so far as to create your panty in the program with what is stocked in your house and it will only place the items you need on the shopping list. Or, you can ask the program to give you a list of recipes based on the food you have in your pantry.

Also, when you have food in your grocery list, you can add the cost of each item so the next time you compile your grocery list it will total the cost for you.

The one thing I do not like, I mean really don't like, is when you scale a recipe, it doesn't convert the amounts to the next measure up. eg: it will say four 1/4 cups instead of 1 cup. Same for the grocery list. But, for everything else it does, I can deal with that.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have this issue as well becuase cooking for one I always have left overs so what I have been doing lately making a weekly food plan and then create a shopping list and then shop on Sundays. I try to use the same ingredients for 2 meals...like get a lb of ground turkey and make 1/2 of it meat balls and 1/2 of it taco meat. Cook up a few chicken breasts and use some for stir fry and the others for salads...

It's not easy becuase I love to eat and if I have a lot of food in the fridge I'll eat it so I have that struggle but I find if I make smaller portions (1 - 2 servings) I can keep from eating it all by saying...i need that for tomorrow..

:)
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    You would LOVE Emealz.com. It preplans DIFFERENT and YUMMY meals for you to eat each week and gives a grocery list. It does not do breakfast or lunch but dinners which I think are the hardest anyways.

They are $15 every three months. Well worth the money in my opinion.
  • HeartlessHarlot
    HeartlessHarlot Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Oh! One other thing. They're a little pricey, but those vacuum food savers are great for leftovers.

Once a week we do a leftover night and whatever we don't eat goes on divided heavy duty paper plates and vacuum sealed in gallon sized bags.

Then, toss in the freezer and you have a homemade TV dinner, or grab and go lunch.

Could be good if you wind up cooking a few servings of a dish, then you don't have to worry about left overs and you've got grab and go, easy, good for you food.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping :)