Low Carb, Paleo, Atkins, South Beach...which do you follow??

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Lots of carbs
    I go by the calories
    I stay with healthy food, low in fat
    Carbs are what give you energy for those workouts!

Not necessarily. My diet is extremely low in carbs, only because breads/rice/pasta/etc (gluten free and non gluten free) upset my stomach, so I just don't eat them. I'm typically around 65g of carbs a day. I have PLENTY of energy for workouts though! I eat tons of protein (my diet is 40% protein/ 30% carbs/ 30% fats) and get my carbs all from fruits and veggies. I feel about a million times better and have more energy sans starches. BUT----that's just me. Everyone's body chemistry is different so you just have to find what works for you specifically.

Bottom line though: it has to be something you can commit to for the rest of your life. If you can't commit, then your weight loss will not be permanent. Everything in moderation and avoid processed foods as much as possible is really the best rule to live by, in my opinion.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I just gave up bread and bread products. That's it, nothing complicated. I'm under on carbs just about every day without trying. I have no idea whether this is a good thing or a bad thing or a neutral thing, to be honest.

I did start losing again after stalling for the zillionth time, but I have no idea if I will keep losing. It's only been a couple weeks.

Also, I've read many posts that say once you give up bread, you better not start eating it again unless you just want to gain it all back.

But I do find it slightly easier to stay full on less calories. Slightly.

Forgot to add my belly feels less hard and swollen, especially on days when I also have little to no dairy.

Not sure if you manually treaked the setting. But if you use MFP and leave it default, I think the carb intake is set pretty high, 55%or something like that...

The base carb intake for MFP assumes you're going to be getting a good amount of exercise in which is why it sets it so high. Carbs are necessary workout fuel.

Yeah, I left it on default, but I was over or around the total set every day before I gave up the bread. And I am not active at all right now, the weather has me quite ill.

However, thank you guys for this information, when it gets cold and I start working out again, now I know to add some carbs back in!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I just gave up bread and bread products. That's it, nothing complicated. I'm under on carbs just about every day without trying. I have no idea whether this is a good thing or a bad thing or a neutral thing, to be honest.

I did start losing again after stalling for the zillionth time, but I have no idea if I will keep losing. It's only been a couple weeks.

Also, I've read many posts that say once you give up bread, you better not start eating it again unless you just want to gain it all back.

But I do find it slightly easier to stay full on less calories. Slightly.

Forgot to add my belly feels less hard and swollen, especially on days when I also have little to no dairy.

Not sure if you manually treaked the setting. But if you use MFP and leave it default, I think the carb intake is set pretty high, 55%or something like that...

The base carb intake for MFP assumes you're going to be getting a good amount of exercise in which is why it sets it so high. Carbs are necessary workout fuel.

I wasn't saying it's a bad thing. I was just reminding here that could be a reason why she was always "under" the carb intake. :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to the Advocare program. It's a total lifestyle change! Huge focus on making sure you are eating the proper amounts of protein, fat, & carbs - but GOOD proteins, fats, & carbs. If you want more info, just inbox me :)

It must work really well, your ticker reads 0 pounds lost?? Let me guess - the "inbox me means you sell the stuff?

I already reported her.
  • ShellBell4281
    ShellBell4281 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I used to follow all of them at one time or another. I used to defend them constantly. I was tired, had cloudy memory. In fact, I was so tired for two months straight that I went to the doctor because I couldn't go on like that anymore. I was even thinking of going out on disability because i was tired to the point of complete exhaustion. I felt like this every day!!!! The doctor said I was in good health except I had high cholesterol. So I stopped doing Atkins and within a few days, I felt normal again.

Totally not worth it.

I'm playing around with the raw diet right now. I try to eat raw 5 days a week. It's amazing so far. Tons of energy, mental clarity. Plus I allow myself to eat the foods I love on the weekends (within my calorie limits).
  • thefrahmers
    Options
    I'm a big fan of atkins.. Lost my first 60 pounds just by counting calories and cutting down on the carbs. I hit a plateau after that and no matter how much i cut down on calories and exercised, i didn't help. So i tried out atkins -The first fase is very restricted, but i lost weight like crazy... And as you move on, more and more foods are allowed.
  • DeadlyDame13
    DeadlyDame13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I did atkins for a bit lost 30 :) but now my gallbladder hurts too much (stones prior to Atkins) so I switched to southbeach lost 5 so far week 1
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Lots of carbs
    I go by the calories

Not necessarily. My diet is extremely low in carbs, only because breads/rice/pasta/etc (gluten free and non gluten free) upset my stomach, so I just don't eat them. I'm typically around 65g of carbs a day. I have PLENTY of energy for workouts though! I eat tons of protein (my diet is 40% protein/ 30% carbs/ 30% fats) and get my carbs all from fruits and veggies. I feel about a million times better and have more energy sans starches. BUT----that's just me. Everyone's body chemistry is different so you just have to find what works for you specifically.

Bottom line though: it has to be something you can commit to for the rest of your life. If you can't commit, then your weight loss will not be permanent. Everything in moderation and avoid processed foods as much as possible is really the best rule to live by, in my opinion.

Exactly!
  • forget01
    forget01 Posts: 3
    Options
    I researched the Paleo diet, and I liked what I saw. I also know a couple that chose to follow the paleo diet as an overall lifestyle change and they were successful!!!!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'll take "None of the above" for $600, Alex.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't the enemy. Gluttony is.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

The base carb intake for MFP assumes you're going to be getting a good amount of exercise in which is why it sets it so high.

you know for a fact this is why MFP sets carbs high?
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't the enemy. Gluttony is.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

:laugh: No doubt! But if I'm less hungry on lower carbs, I'm less inclined to quite so much gluttony!
  • kajpen
    kajpen Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Lots of carbs
    I go by the calories

Wow, I had to look at this twice to make sure I hadn't written it :-). I am celiac and still don't eat any of the gluten free breads or pastas because while they don't make me sick like gluten does, I still don't feel all that well when I eat them. My ratios are the same as yours (40% protein/30% carbs/30% fats) and my carbs come from veggies and fruits too.

Everybody is different. What works for one person won't work for another. You just have to experiment and find what works best for you. I don't think carbs are bad or evil. I think people eat way too many processed/sugary foods. I don't bash ANY style of eating because there isn't ONE eating style that works for everyone. People have their own reasons for eating the way they do, and it's not up to me to say they're wrong or right. If it works for them then I applaud them.

As long as you base your eating on healthy food choices and minimize the processed foods, you will do great.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    NOT ALL CARBS ARE CREATED EQUAL!! We Need the carbs from our fresh raw fruits and veggies.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    In general low carb diets are not really recommended for people who are very active or following rigorous weight loss regimens. Your carb intake should be related to your activity level. They're more or less just band-aids for people who can't or won't exercise to lose weight.

I think you're forgetting people with metabolic disorders, who can and do exercise.
  • MamaMouseA
    MamaMouseA Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am on a Ketogenic diet which is the atkins phase 1 without adding the carbs back :)

I eat 20 gram of carbs a day max and feel this lifestyle change is one I can keep and stick to! I wouldnt suggest this diet to a person who is normal or has no underlining issues like IR or a medbolic problem. My husband can eat 50-100 carbs a day and be just fine... I go over 30 and I start feeling the effects of to much insulin.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the carbs from fresh fruits & veggies, but I stay away from bread and pasta simple carbs. ......feel so much better when I do.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    In general low carb diets are not really recommended for people who are very active or following rigorous weight loss regimens. Your carb intake should be related to your activity level. They're more or less just band-aids for people who can't or won't exercise to lose weight.

I think you're forgetting people with metabolic disorders, who can and do exercise.

This. I keep my carbs lower, I exercise over 6 hours a week, and play rugby. Band-aids? NONSENSE.