Dr Bernstein Diet

Options
Has anyone tried using this diet to lose weight? If so, what was your experience like with it and would you recommend it to others?

Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I remember looking this up a while ago when someone mentioned it here. I tried the healthy weight calculator on his web site and it told me I only needed to lose 3 pounds, if only that were true. I need to lose more like 30 to 50, so I wasn't too impressed.

It's just about impossible to dig anything about the diet out of his website, but looking at reviews it appears to be a very low-carb diet. He makes some questionable claims, and promotes vitamin injections. I'm assuming there's some sort of support from his weight loss clinic, but it's not something I'd personally ever go for (like, in a million years).

Still, if you're determined to go very low-carb, it might work for you. I'd hit up google for some reviews and people with personal experience before you plunk down any money. I'm guessing it isn't a cheap way to lose weight.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I had a friend do this. I saw the list of foods she was given. I mean, I can't really comment too much because obvs I need to lose weight too but I was surprised at some of the stuff she wasn't allowed to have and the amounts.

It seems very restrictive and kind of destined to fail (for her) since she wasn't able to have this "on the diet" but once it was over, she's be up for it. I don't believe you can sustain weight loss at 800 calories a day. I guess if you are need to lose weight quick (severely obese or health concerns or something) it could help push you to a place where exercise might be easier or whatever but I'll stick with my slow and steady. I know it works and I know I can keep it off.
    I know she had done it before and gained all the weight back (she just wanted to lose weight for an event this time so I'm not sure if she was concerned with it coming back).

I was also SHOCKED at how much it cost. I know a lot of the cost are the vitamin injections but ouch.

I originally thought about doing it with her but I know it wouldn't work for me. I'd be interested to hear from others (my experience may have more to do with my friend's approach than the diet itself).
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who have done this. They were able to take off large amounts of weight, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM GAINED IT ALL BACK and then some.

It's a really low carb low cal (about 800 cals/day) diet. It is actually so low carb and missing key vitamins, and nutrients, that they needed to go in for a needle every x days (i can't remember how often). It was expensive, malnurishing, and all the results I have seen have not been long lasting.

My thought is do not do it.
  • nicolabellaa
    Options
    I don't reccomand this diet too anyone! I was on dr b 4 yrs ago yes you loose rapid weight its alot off money...u can't eat anything they encourage u NOT too work out...i have alot off loose skin i am not happy... i wish i did it the proper way now im just going too the gym gaining some muscle then off for my surgeries....please take my advice and DON'T do it...weight watchers i heard is rly good u learn eating habits u workout u earn points dr b you don't lear anything...i gained about 30lbs back after four years...my brother gained all his weight and then some....remember weightloss is suppose too be a slow process
  • bernicem77
    bernicem77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did this diet 6 years ago. It took me 8-9 months to lose150lbs. Unfortunately, I gained weight back, but not due to the diet, because of my poor eating habits. I did not gain back all my weight, but I did gain 66% of it back, BUT it took 6 years.

As with any diet, some people gain the weight back. I am part of a forum full of people who have done the diet/are doing the diet. I've noticed that people who complete the maintenance plan (where they teach you how to reintroduce everyday foods back into your diet) have kept the weight off.

I've done other diets, and prefer this diet the most. It works for me. I like the fact that I am monitored closely 3 times a week. I like that I have to see a doctor and get blood work done every two weeks.

It's not a diet that I would recommend for someone who only wants to lose 5lbs. It is a diet that I would recommend if you have to lose 50, 100 or 150lbs. To me it's no different than getting lap-band surgery. Same food choices and same medical follow up. The only real advantage I see with the Bernstein diet is that you don't have to actually have surgery done.