Constant bloating and gas after meals.

Options
Can anyone help shed some light as to what is going on with my tummy? I have been eating lean and clean for 3 months now. Although feeling more healthier and in shape, I am bloated almost after every meal. And I mean bloated. It's looks as if I'm pregnant. Also gassy .. it's just really uncomfortable. I keep thinking that my body will get use to this way of eating .. but maybe not! For example .. last night for dinner - Baked talapia and asparagus (seasoned w/ Mrs DAsh only) .. hugely bloated within 30 min. This morning's breakfast. Egg whites w/ red and greeen peppers and turkey bacon .. now bloated and gassy 20 min later. I don't get much gluten so I don't think that's it. I don't know. :( Help.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    an open diary might help. Nothing you listed looks to be a likely candidate for causing problem.
  • FattyAy
    FattyAy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new here and thought I'd never post but perhaps this may help. I too became uncomfortably distended after every meal following a bout with food poisoning. Basically, my intestinal flora had become unbalanced. I have since controlled it with a daily dose of probiotics, fiber (Citrucel) caplets, and fennel capsules/ tea following a meal. Fennel relaxes the gut and really helps with the gas and distention.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? It could be the increase in fibre that is causing it. When you increase fibre you need to increase water and healthy fats to get things moving along.

It could be something you are eating. If I eat raw broccoli I get terrible stomach pains for a while afterwards.
  • naasirab
    naasirab Posts: 43
    Options
    Hmm, at first I thought that maybe it could be do to the starches and breads in your diets but you didnt mention any. I know certain breads made me really bloated after meals.
  • Brennaohh
    Brennaohh Posts: 47
    Options
    hmm not too sure about your breakfast, but for some reason when I eat healthy fats (like fish) I get the same effects.
    So maybe the tilapia brought it on?

Other then that I dont have much input. Maybe you have some sort of intolerance that has developed?

I didnt look into your diary but if you eat stuff with sugar alcohol, artificial sweeteners, or sugar-free stuff; thatll happen.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have a very sensitive digestive system and get bloated easily. I also have a section of bowel that is narrow and have had a history of a partial blockage (caused by scar tissue from a related surgery and have had to be hospitalized). I would first see a GI doctor and perhaps inquire about getting a bowel study done to rule out any medical problems.

ok, because of my history and symptoms, I take some supplements and precautions which help keep things on track:

a probiotic (keeps the GI track healthy with good flora and balanced)
    digestive enzymes (before meals), helps to further break down fats, carbs, protiens and dairy.
    fish oil supplement (once daily, for the Omega 3's and 6's; also helps to keep GI track lubricated).
    I drink aloe vera juice with some drinks (helps with irritation and inflammation of the GI lining).
    chew foods thorougly before swallowing
    minimize fatty foods
    try to avoid a diet very high in fiber

hope this helps!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I changed my diet too (even though it was for the better). I found that certain things would be worse for it like beans, spicy food, and too much protein, although pretty much everything would cause it. Yogurt, miso, kimchee and other fermented things seemed to help. I tried taking a probiotic and am not sure if it helped but it's worth a shot.

I ended up going to the GI doctor and she diagnosed me with GERD. I was skeptical because I had no heaetburn symptoms. After 2 weeks of ppi's and following her instructions to eat small meals and avoid certain foods, it is about 95% better.

Good luck!
  • GoodMorningGirl
    GoodMorningGirl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If this is a new thing for you, I'd probably go to a doctor and get checked out.

I second the advice for fennel tea. I have problems with bloating/gas off and on and fennel tea has been a lifesaver. It doesn't taste bad either.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    If this is a new thing for you, I'd probably go to a doctor and get checked out.

I second the advice for fennel tea. I have problems with bloating/gas off and on and fennel tea has been a lifesaver. It doesn't taste bad either.

I agree, fennel and ginger both helped me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hmm, at first I thought that maybe it could be do to the starches and breads in your diets but you didnt mention any. I know certain breads made me really bloated after meals.
    I was going to say this too. For me it's starches and bread.
    OP: can you open your diary?
  • allisondra23
    Options
    You HAVE to eat things like brown rice, whole wheat products, beans, etc every single day or that will happen. At least that's the case for me.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and have yet to find a solution although taking a probiotic did help a little. It is hard when so many things have the potential to be the cause... I eat a fair amount of fatty fish, so for all I know, that could be an issue, but I definitely notice it is worse when I have eaten wheat or oats in any quantity, which is frustrating because oats certainly can be useful for staving off hunger and keeping you full for a bit.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to eat things like brown rice, whole wheat products, beans, etc every single day or that will happen. At least that's the case for me.

You mean you have to eat those things daily to help with gas and bloat, or to cause it ?
    I am guessing things like rice and wholewheat go some way, for some people, in absorbing excess gas.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    It may not be the typical culprits like bread. There are certain types of carbohydrates found in a variety of fruits and vegetables that some have trouble digesting causing the symptoms you describe. And if you were eating a diet that didn't include many fruits and vegetables until recently, you may have been avoiding some of the foods that may trouble you even though they should be otherwise healthy. It's just a matter of finding the right ones for you.

http://www.webmd.com/ibs/features/finding-right-diet-ibs?page=2

Google FODMAPs for more info to see if this could be your problem. If so, trying to increase the fiber in your diet could backfire and cause you more problems. Good luck!
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options

They make me worse-- it's really to each his own. Might try an elimination diet for a little while though.
  • jennifermaxine
    Options
    I did start increasing my water AND started a probiotic today. I'll see how that goes for the next few days. Thanks! :)
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    try some pepper mint tea :)
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    When I started eating cleaner, the same thing happened to me. Especially with protein supplements... A lot of dietary fiber will cause gas and bloating in a lot of people, it certainly did me. I would try eliminating one food item from your diet a week and track how it affects your stomach. If you feel better, than that was probably the item causing the problem. If you don't, then trying eliminating another item. As a person with a particularly sensitive stomach, I take Beano before a meal I feel might make me particularly gassy. Works like a charm :)
  • today6212
    today6212 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I also get bloated and gassy after meals often. I started going for a walk/jog for about 30 min and taking a probiotic after the meal. It helps me a lot, i guess it gets things moving
  • dxwatson2
    dxwatson2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

For someone with gluten allergies or Celiac disease this may not be the case. Even some grains that are normally gluten-free can be processed with other ingredients that may cause a flare-up.