Thoughts on going vegan

Options
So I have recently been thinking about going vegan. I love the idea and over a year ago I went partial vegetarian, as I still ate meat on rare occasion that was raised on my farm. So I want to try a vegan diet and see how I feel and how it goes. Any tips on how your journey was going vegan, favorite go to meals, experiences you had with it, Pros and cons. They would all be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    It is impossible to gain weight on a raw vegan diet. I did it for 1 month and lost 26lbs, but I loves my beef and fish so I am 85/15 now.
  • allisondra23
    Options
    Do it! I have been vegan (mostly sometimes I eat meat but never dairy) for a while now and it's amazing. It really is, you just feel so much lighter and don't have any issues with food digestion. At first you will feel really hungry all the time but you just need to adjust to needing to eat more often, you'll learn how many times a day you need to eat. There are really no cons, but at first you will have CRAZY cravings for grease, salt, and sugary snacks. If you drink a smoothie when you want sugar, that craving will go away.

Go to replacement products:

Yves Meatless Ground (walmart, health food store)
    Earth Balance Buttery Spread (walmart, health food store)
    So Delicious Cocounut Ice cream - comes in many flavors all of which are amazing (walmart, health food store)
    Silk Almond Milk (everywhere)
    Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream (health food store)
    Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese (Health food store)
    Gardein chick'n (health food store)
    Nutritional yeast flakes Bragg (health food store)
    Diaya cheese alternative (health food store)
    Veganaise Follow Your Heart (health food store)

Go-to quick recipes:

1. Meatless Ground tacos - Empty 1 pckg meatless ground into pan, add favorite taco seasoning mix and cook on med or medlow for 3-7 minutes until hot. Dice 1 avocado and add avocado and "taco meat" into whole wheat tortilla. Add Better Than Sour Cream if desired. Ready to eat!

2. Meatless Ground manwich - Empty 1 pckg meatless ground into pan, add favorite manwich sauce and cook on med or medlow for 3-7 minutes until hot. Serve on whole wheat bun. Ready to eat!

3. Spaghetti Squash spaghetti - Empty 1 pckg meatless ground into pan, add favorite pasta sauce and cook on med or medlow for 3-7 minutes until hot. Preheat oven to 375 and cut spaghetti squash in half length-wise. Spray cookie sheet or baking pan with olive oil cooking spray, lay squash face down on pan and bake 35-45 minutes until you can stab through the gord easily. Pull "noodles" out of squash and add sauce mixture. Ready to eat!

4. Pasta salad - Chop cucumbers, tomatoes, black olives and throw in mixing bowl. Boil whole wheat rotini pasta according to instructions on package. Add to bowl and add vegan italian dressing (no brand just check the label for vegan ingredients). Ready to eat!

Best sites for recipes if you are willing to spend a little time in the kitchen:

cheekykitchen.com - SO YUM especially the portobello burgers. Just dont use egg, use ground flax egg replacer.

veganstoner.com - Best for quick meals and lunch items. Love the banana cake and the dill cucumber sandwich.

ohsheglows.com - everything is so good.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    There's an herbivore group here you should check out! Lots of info and discussions.

I was vegan for 8 years and am trying to move back to that diet. My advice is invest in a few GREAT cookbooks. You can find some that have a lot of nutritional info as well. There's a good cookbook thread in the discussion group.