need to lose 10-15 lbs. Have been struggling for years

Options
as543
as543 Posts: 38 Member
have tried ww, medifast, my fitness pal, etc. i want to commit for good now. should i use this app or weight watchers?

Replies

• AMS58
    AMS58 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I did WW and managed to lose my weight and got to goal, but it is expensive. This application is free so do give it another try, lots of information and help here.
    Add me if you wish for motivation and help.
  • harpercutie
    harpercutie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    did you excersise with any of them?

also- look into HCG diet
  • as543
    Options
    yes. i am a lifetime exerciser/gym rat. Havent even lost much through two half marathon trainings
  • Erihppas
    Erihppas Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I would be thrilled to have 15 pounds left to lose!

You can do it! Just use this site! I did Jenny Craig and paid at least 3 thousand dollars over the few months I was on it. It worked, but the principle behind it was calorie reduction. I was on a 1500 calorie plan and was dropping weight like crazy. Some weeks I'd gain, and it felt like a waste of 125$... Now if I gain a week, it's not too big of a deal b/c I'm eating my own foods and not paying an arm and a leg to do it.

WW is also all about calories in the end... save your $$$, it's all about tracking.

Try and plan your meals weekly, that's what I do. And if you do, try not to deviate at all from your weekly plan... so make sure you make a plan you can stick with, not just celery sticks and peanut butter. Give yourself days to look forward to eating!
  • as543
    Options
    thank you. that is really encouraging!
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    did you excersise with any of them?

also- look into HCG diet

You're kidding, right??? The HCG diet is absolutely insane. It involves hormone injections coupled with starvation (500 calories per day) AND it costs hundreds of dollars. You should really research something fully before recommending it to strangers.

"In 1995, the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology published an analysis of research showing no benefit of hCG in promoting weight loss. A December 2009 position paper of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians concluded they did not recommend hCG as a weight loss aid.

Quack Watch.org director Stephen Barrett, MD tells WebMD that "scientific studies have demonstrated that hCG injections do not cause weight loss.”

He describes the protocol as extreme, nearly impossible to adhere to, and senseless, especially because the clinical trials have demonstrated that hCG is ineffective as a weight loss aid.

There are no FDA-approved hCG weight loss products, and the FDA and Federal Trade Commission have cracked down on several companies marketing hCG weight loss products

Not only will you waste your money on hCG, but there are also potential consequences -- from side effects of the product and self-injections to nutritional deficiencies.

It is virtually impossible to meet your nutritional needs for carbohydrates, protein, fats, and fiber with less than 500 calories per day and the diet will most likely result in vitamin and mineral deficiencies." -WebMD
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've done WW, Atkins, and many other diets with some short term success, but nothing lasted.

Using MFP and having the right mindset of getting healthy instead of focusing soley on dropping pounds is what worked for me.
    Chossign healthy foods, and healthy portions and regular exercise has gotten me in the best shape of my life (at 40+yrs).

If I can do it, so can you. BE patient! Just keep making healthy choices and you will see results- in the way you feel, in what you see in the mirror, AND what the scale says.

Good Luck!
  • as543
    Options
    thank you! congrats on your success!
  • LoveLifeForever
    LoveLifeForever Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For my diet plan, I use the WW routine, but I am not signed up for it. Basically, I go by eating my 'points' for the day which I only have about 20 points in a day. But I use MFP for exercise, updating all my friends with weigh loss, the great motivation everyone give you, etc...:)
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have done ww, with some success but I think MFP is just as good, plus its free.

I too don't have that much to loose, and I find it is harder!

I find that tracking calories alone doesn't cut it for me, at the moment I am doing a diet very low in carbs, no dairy, little sugar (from fruit), high in lean protein and veggies, which also means is low in calories. It is working great, I have lots of energy and I am exercising 5+ days a week, which is something that I have always felt too weak to do on any diet .

The most important lesson I have learned so far is that you have to push through it, you cannot pay attention to the daily fluctuations in weight. Just this week the scale showed I had gained 2 lbs and I have a scale that measures body fat and water, and I knew it was not water retention. In the past that would have discouraged me and I would have quit ("after all the sacrifice and you still gain weight???? I might as well eat what I normally eat"), but this time around I am pushing through it, kept eating right, kept exercising, today I have lost 3 lbs, i.e. those 2 "ficticious" lbs plus 1 more, so 1 lb/week which is a slow but steady and healthy way to loose the weight. This has happened several times, you just have to give your body time to adjust to what you are doing.

You can totally do it!!!
  • lisakammwang
    lisakammwang Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    have tried ww, medifast, my fitness pal, etc. i want to commit for good now. should i use this app or weight watchers?

Look into the group Eat More Weigh Less. I was a lifetime WW member who eventually gained all my weight back. Have done medical supervised weight loss (no crazy injections, just high protein supplements). Am totally back on "real food" with about 15 lbs. yet to lose. For the first time in my life I am eating 1400-1600 calories per day and stll losing weight. No crazy 6 hour exercise sessions, just walking 5 days per week. I have cut out all of the crap, refuse to eat fatfree, and am watching the quality of the carbohydrates I am taking in. Add me as a friend if you like and we can lose it together!