New Me

Options
Greetings! I don't know where to start, so I will start with the beginning. I have fought my weight my whole life. I was a skinny kid, round in elementary school, thinned out in middle and high school (my daughter says I was hot!) and things have been a whole lot more complicated since then. I gained about a hundred pounds when I was pregnant with my first kid (I was 17; she just turned 17). I rode a roller coaster for the next 12 years, and varied by about 30 pounds up or down from center. In 2005 I had lap-band surgery, lost about 80 lbs, and was very happy at 186, which is about 15 - 20 lbs from perfect for me. I immediately got pregnant and gained close to a hundred pounds once again. Unfortunately, the pregnancy damaged my lap band, and I finally had it removed in January 2012 after years of pain and distress. My doctor did a gastric plication, which is similar to the gastric sleeve, and I have managed to gain 70 lbs since then.

I now weigh about 300 lbs and am miserable. I don't have any clothes that fit, I feel like I am 9 months pregnant. I am lost. I know exercise is key, and I desperately need to, but I have to do low impact exercises due to a very poorly healed foot surgery. I am a mess.

I am desperately trying to start taking better care of myself. I hope that this helps. I really look forward to meeting you guys and being a part of a support and accountability group.

Replies

• Megd1010
    Megd1010 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Joanne
    You can add me as a friend. I only new to FP but have found it inspiring to have friends and know there are others out there trying to lose weight.
    Meg
  • COdhiambo12
    Options
    The hardest part is getting started! You should try little things at first too, like parking a little further away and taking the stairs when you can..if you can. Also, watching what you eat is a BIGGIE! I have a problem with food, I love it! lol. But, I know it is hard at first to eat less, but after a couple days, you will feel fuller with less! You can't lose all the weight over night..unfortunately, so start slow and do what you can. Make it an every day goal, such as "What have I done today to contribute to my weight loss?" Also you can break up your works outs, rather than gung ho 30 mins, do 3/10 min workouts! Another great idea is to pay yourself say maybe $3-$5 as a reward for working out, after a while, you will have a enough money to buy yourself a new work out outfit or something! Also, the more you move, the more you will want to move! Just walking does the body good too! Don't think you need run a marathon just feel like you have "worked out." Well, good luck to ya! Hang in there, and remember that you will also have off days. No one is perfect. ;)

Crystal
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    You can do this....you may feel hopeless....But I'm here to say it's not! I have been on the same journey....and Inow feel fabulous! you can too!
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    welcome to MFP! It' a first step in getting healthy and losing weight . . for good!

"I know exercise is key". Exercise is important in getting healthy, but the #1 thing when it comes to shedding pounds is eating healthy foods in healthy portions. My trainer agrees with my statement of "weight loss is 75% eating, 25% exercise".

Find the proper recommended calorie intake goal for you, based on your height/weight, age and fitness level. Choose foods high in protein to feel fuller longer, and lots of vegetables and fruits. Avoid processed/simple carbs as they can screw around with insulin levels spiking "sugar highs", and subsequent lows where you will end up craving more. Opt for more complex carbs like oatmeal, whole wheat versions of breads and pastas. And if you must have a treat(light/low calorie version hopefully), plan them in your journal and alot the calories for it, so you won't deny yourself nor feel guilty for the indulgence.

When it comes to exercise, start slow. And try to find something you enjoy, so it feels less like a chore! Both cardio and strength training are important in your journey. Dont' be afraid to work with weights and flex your muscles- unles you are commiting hours a day, 7 days a week, you won't "bulk up".

Focus more on being healthy, than losing the weight. The scale can be a fickle thing. Remember its just one tool to measure your progress and success! Think of how you want to feel about what you see in the mirror, notice positive changes in your energy level, take pride when you feel your clothes getting looser, and dont' be surprised when friends and family start to compliment you when the notice the changes(that often times you dont!). Be patient! You can do this! You are Worth it!