Calling current or Ex- Tortilla/ bread eaters !

Options
It's just so common to eat tortillas at home , There is usually bread /pan frances/ Bolillo for breakfast
and Tortillas are always there for lunch and dinner..
I like them because not only to they taste good but they are filling. But I know eating corn is not the best thing to be eating right now.
If I dont have them I feel like I have not eaten.

I guess it's in my mind..

What could I replace the tortillas and the bread with.?

Replies

• Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I actually eat these now...

http://latortillafactory.com/products-3.aspx
    Smart & Delicious™ Low Carb, High Fiber Tortillas

I've replaced all breads and buns with those.
  • nyteyz82
    nyteyz82 Posts: 43
    Options
    I went pretty much cold turkey on the carbs, i used to eat a half loaf of white bread at dinner. now i have 2 slices of whole meal or whole grain for breakfast if i'm not having oats or buttermilk pancakes. first week was hell, all i was craving was bread but after that first week i don't crave bread anymore.

hope this helps
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with corn? I think anything is fine in moderation. I eat the Mission extra thin corn tortillas. Only like 16 carbs and 80 cals for 2. That is really the only bread like product I still eat.

There are a bunch of high fiber wheat tortillas and flatouts. Those are okay but the sodium is really high (as with most bread products except the corn tortillas mentioned above).

You really don't crave after awhile. At least I don't. I am low(er) carb and don't crave all that stuff now unless I cheat a little and eat it then I am super hungry the next day and crave it but that goes away pretty quick. I find it's best to just not cheat on it since I haven't quite mastered willpower yet.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    It is funny that you posted this.

I just cut out my usual tortilla snack this week and I survived!

Try a 1/2 low carb pita bread. I found it just as filling and lower in carbs and fat!
  • DaoneandonlyMe
    DaoneandonlyMe Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It is funny that you posted this.

I just cut out my usual tortilla snack this week and I survived!

Try a 1/2 low carb pita bread. I found it just as filling and lower in carbs and fat!

Tortilla is the norm around here, since I'm hispanic a lot of our foods are corn based , tamales, tortillas, etc...
    It's norm for the family and everyday thing..so I'm trying to cut down and replace and then forget them for a while as it does affect my weightloss.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    A collard leaf.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    Just eat them, carbs aren't as evil as people make them out to be, just don't go over on your calories for the day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I was raised on tortillas as well. The lard, the white flour.

Carbs aren't "evil" but there's not a lot of value in a standard tortilla (or 3).

I've been doing whole wheat and corn. I actually prefer corn.

I love tortillas, but they don't love me.

Corn seems to be the best for me
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Sprouted grain Ezekiel bread/wraps!

Edit to say: these can be frozen ;)
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options

This is awesome thank you so much....Do you know if you can sucessfully freeze these?....i love tortillas but here in canada the best you can get is 180 calories each, where these for large are 80 and im going to the states tomorrow and if i can freeze them ill buy a bunch of them
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

This is awesome thank you so much....Do you know if you can sucessfully freeze these?....i love tortillas but here in canada the best you can get is 180 calories each, where these for large are 80 and im going to the states tomorrow and if i can freeze them ill buy a bunch of them
    Corn tortillas freeze well, if these don't.
  • Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Oh you know I'm not sure... I've never tried... hubby and I go through them. We buy a big package every few weeks at Costco.
    I'd freeze a couple to see for you but I don't think I'd get any result before you leave.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Sprouted grain Ezekiel bread/wraps!

Edit to say: these can be frozen ;)

I've tried these and they taste great! The tortillas have an amazing corn taste.

I also use a lettuce or cabbage leaf.
  • savageman69
    Options
    Oh you know I'm not sure... I've never tried... hubby and I go through them. We buy a big package every few weeks at Costco.
    I'd freeze a couple to see for you but I don't think I'd get any result before you leave.

No problem thank you very much either way :) im getting some and ill try freezing them....way better then the stuff we have here to choose from :)
  • leighlyn
    leighlyn Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Demsters body Wise Tortillas 80 cal... i livein canada so they are here:)
  • savageman69
    Options

Demsters body Wise Tortillas 80 cal... i livein canada so they are here:)

Oh really?....Where do you buy them at ive never seen them....Ive tried sobeys, no frills, loblaws, walmart and no luck for me
  • girlorganic
    Options
    I LOVE the high fiber/low carb, whole wheat tortillas. By La Tortilla Factory, and they have 2 different sizes, small or large. 50 or 80 cals per tortilla!
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    So after who knows how many years of fajita love, I finally discovered it's the FILLINGS I love, not the tortilla. Sauteed veggies+meat+salsa+guac=happy me, no tortilla needed apparently. If you want something to act as a "conveyor" for the fillings, have you tried a large leaf of lettuce?
  • DaoneandonlyMe
    DaoneandonlyMe Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    So after who knows how many years of fajita love, I finally discovered it's the FILLINGS I love, not the tortilla. Sauteed veggies+meat+salsa+guac=happy me, no tortilla needed apparently. If you want something to act as a "conveyor" for the fillings, have you tried a large leaf of lettuce?

Just bought some lettuce today and made some oatmeal cookies to use as a fill me up snack. I'll look into other tortillas :)
    Get them for me at least ..I dont think the family is ready for a tortilla switch.
    Carbs are not bad but It's a bad habit to go for carbs all the time bc they leave me feeling full.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Joseph's lavash ! It's wonderful ! It's at Walmart in front of the deli meats case with pitas, flatbreads,etc. Joseph's also make good pitas. I use lavash for wraps, PB&Js, and yesterday threw it in a skillet w/spray butter & made "tortilla chips" to go w/my homemade guacamole ! Lavash is YUMMMY !