Falling off the wagon when stressed.

Options
My diet has been a mess lately. Hubby and my oldest are fighting constantly and I have to referee, and then I just learned today a friend of mine's 2 yr old little girl drowned. I feel like I'm not in control anymore, I'm upset with the world right now, mad at god for taking her little girl and pissed at my family for being so freaking stubborn and putting me in the middle. I usually turn to exercise, but lately it's been food - I don't have anything bad in the house to binge on, but I downed 4 flour tortillas tonight "just because". Didn't make me feel better, but I'm also at that point where I just don't care.

I know this feeling will eventually pass, but I would love to hear some tips in the meantime on coping to avoid bingeing. A nice long walk would probably help when I get those cravings, but I have 2 little kids to watch, it has to be something I can do with them around.

Replies

• MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're going through all this. I've never been in your exact shoes, but I can tell you that no amount of food, comforting though you might think it is, will change your situation. It will not make anything better. Stay strong. :)
  • chica23GK
    chica23GK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I find that housework helps me release stress - not too long ago, I realized that I overate or munched because I was angry or because I was worrying or over-thinking things - scrubbing toilets and tubs really helps me release all that. I still worry or think but at least I'm doing something - I think we eat because we want to do something about the situation & we can't, therefore we feel powerless or out-of-control - so doing something/anything seems to unconsciously release all that. They more worried or upset I am, the more I get done - and, afterwards, I do feel a little better (cuz my house looks good at least) or at least too tired for the day.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Be strong, stress is hard and stress eating is harder. Food doesn't make you feel better or more in control. Though in a way you are controlling something and that may be what your brain is trying to do.

You can't control everything, and being in the middle of hard situations is the worst time to find that out. Breath deep and try to find distractions other than food. You said that you would fall back on exercise- you still can. If you can't go walking with two kids then try to find things that are games that they can do that's exercise for you. Simple games can really take the edge off of life when you start to laugh and have fun. I don't know how old your kids are but if they run 2-6 yrs old then try things like follow the leader, racing, Simon says (kids that age can come up with some challenging things to do), older kids can get involved in exercise as well; relay racing, circuit training like jumping jacks and that sort of thing, or even just games like soccer and basketball.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    We are never in control of most things. Our diet is the one thing that we can can control is how I think about it.
  • cristaine
    cristaine Posts: 87
    Options
    Firstly, I'm sorry about the stresses you are under lately, both at home and with the tragedy with your friends little girl. That is heartbreaking. Certainly, life isn't very fair sometimes and leaves us picking up the pieces. :(

As for stuff to do: How about yoga? It is great exercise AND a wonderful way to de-stress and decompress a bit. If you have to do it WITH the kids they even have yogakids DVDs that I used to do with my son when he was little. He actually saw me doing yoga today and said "Hey! We haven't done yogakids since we lived in our old house!" =) It isn't strict yoga and its more free flowing fun kid-versions to get them into it, but it is fun regardless. I used to do that with him when I was at the end of my rope, needed the chill myself and wanted something active and constructive to do.

In the meantime, as easy as it is to say " I just won't binge" why don't you just make yourself a rule about what you can binge on, and prepare ahead for it. Hardboiled eggs (you can't really overeat hard boiled eggs lol), veggie sticks, fresh fruit. Just make a rule that binging is a-ok when stressed as long as you binge THIS way. Sure, its kind of self-medicating, but maybe that is the stage you are at right now, which is fine too - just make it OK to be stressed and chow down on healthy pretty harmless foods. =) The fiber in the veggies and fresh fruit will make you full long before any damage is done, I would bet.

ANyway, that would be my way to do it, because avoidance of things just makes me want them more. And I would get a way to de-stress, bubble bath, yoga, walking (take the kids, just move and breathe) but also make sure you have you time where you aren't mom, the good friend, the shoulder, the ear who listens, the spouse, etc. Time just for you, doing something you love to do. Make it non-negotiable. Even if they don't like it in the beginning, they get used to it =)

Also, maybe consider not refereeing problems(as much), and discuss with both of them that their problems aren't just affecting them and you want them to come up with more constructive ways of dealing with their frustrations with each other. I know its hard though, because I kind of end up doing the same because I'm just a responsible sort of person and I want to keep the peace, but if its sucking you dry, we aren't as useful when only half full anyway.

=) Hope any of these ideas may work, or spark ideas that fit in better with your style and needs =)
  • headlock_lynn
    headlock_lynn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It is so easy to turn to food and binge when feeling stressed. (I do it all the time) but I tell myself the guilt trip afterwards isn't worth it. Then I do it again. It's so sad that your friends little girl drowned. My heart goes out to the mother. It's also so easy to blame God in these situations but that's not where the blame lies either but I know, we need to blame someone. Your friend really needs you right now. A friend to turn to and vent feelings with. Someone who will listen and not judge. I know you can be that person even though your life is difficult too with your husband and eldest fighting. it's so difficult being the referee and not wanting to hurt either of our loved ones feelings but on the other hand feeling as if you want to bang their heads together and snap out of it. I can't really advise because I have been in that situation and didn't deal with it very well and ended up being the weight I am and having to work really hard to get it off now. I know that's not encouraging for you but do stay strong. Have a nice cup of tea, healthy snack. Put the little ones in a stroller and go for a long walk. whatever it takes not to binge on high calorie snacks. Get a good book and read. anything. You don't want to be like me and put loads of weight on and then feel so bad about yourself and your weakness. I have found that it really helps if I ask God daily to give me strength to get through the difficulties the day may present and not to turn to food as comfort.

Stay with it. I know this probably hasn't helped you at all but if the only thing you take from this is that you aren't alone. You reached out and that means a lot. We all have weak moments/days. Get right back on track afterwards and you said it yourself, this will pass. Don't wait for it to pass though. Allow yourself a little time and then fight back. You can do this.
  • kvictory27
    kvictory27 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just had to share quickly because I used to be a horrible stress eater, until today! I was so upset I just opened a closet and started pulling stuff out. Then I got a garbage bag and started filling it with things I don't need or hardly use to donate to Goodwill. For me this is HUGE. Not only am I a stress eater but I love to keep things "just incase" I need them again. I feel so much better! It didn't make the problem go away but it made my closet cleaner and that made me feel better :) Good luck, push through and clean clean clean!
  • headlock_lynn
    headlock_lynn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You have some great ideas Christaine, they will be helpful for many of us. I really like your idea of having pre-prepared "binge" foods and letting the family members know that their disagreements with each other are affecting other family members and that it's not fair to expect anyone to referee. Thanks for your comments.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Before you eat those tortillas (or whatever), stop and remind yourself that eating that junk will only make you feel worse. You've had a rough time recently......you will have rough times again and again. If exercise is your stress reliever, then find what you can do with the kids around. Yoga is a great place to start, so I agree with the person who mentioned that.
  • nuskin
    nuskin Posts: 8
    Options
    One thing you might try is "toddler curls", where you pick up one of your small children then curl them to your body in reps of tens. You can then move on to toddler presses. The kids love this and will insist on it after a while. So it helps burn the stress and increases bonding with your kids. For more activities like this just goggle mommy and me exercises or the like. Hope this helps.