For the Student, Worker, and Dieter..

Options
How are you able to balance it all.
I'm 19, a sophomore in college ( I will be starting nursing clinical in January ), and I work part time.

While in school I'm balancing studying for two different science classes, writing papers, and trying to get to work on time.
Its not too hard to eat healthy, but it gets hard to make time for working out (I'm lucky to jog 3 times a week).

How do you make it work?!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Oy! Other than completely foregoing sleep?! It's tough! You should feel great that you jog 3 times a week! I just graduated, but when I was working and going to school I honestly didn't get the workouts in. Just do your best - school luckily doesn't last forever!
  • megan24209
    megan24209 Posts: 23
    Options
    I am also in college, a science major. I work, have an internship, and am currently conducting research for a paper I'm co-authoring. I still manage to work out 5-6x a week. However during midterms and finals it gets cut back to 4-3X. I mainly do this by making it a priority. As soon as I come home from work I exercise. No relaxing or putting away anything. Otherwise I tend to lose the motivation and start studying. I also exercise if I have any breaks between work and school. It sounds like it might be exhausting but I actually feel rejuvenated and can focus even more on my studies after I work out. My grades have not suffered either. I still get about 3.75-4.0 every quarter. I also am very on top of my studying and assignments. I try never to wait till the last minute and review notes every day.

I also write out a schedule at the beginning of the week of time blocks when I will be working, studying, exercising, cleaning, internships, etc. It helps keep my accountable.

It is true I am really busy... But I enjoy it and like to keep my mind and body active 24/7.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    You just do.

I'm doing a Ph.D. and just found out that I'm pregnant. I work 2x as hard as I ever did in undergrad (50-70 hours per week easy), but I still make time to workout. It's important, and really, you only need 30-60 minutes 3-4 times per week which is totally manageable. Just make some time to do it, and get it done. Just like your laundry or bruising your teeth.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Hi :-)

I'm 32, work full time, go to college full time, and have 2 boys. I don't know if you have free access to your college gym, but we do here. I also have a gym that I have access to at work. I workout at least 3-4 days a week on my lunch breaks. I'll do a DVD after my boys are in bed if I didn't get to the gym. You just have to want it badly enough to make the time. I've spent many, many years making excuses including that I didn't have the time. Now, I do it whether I want to or not! :-)
  • raeraeti
    raeraeti Posts: 108
    Options
    I have a hard time studying at night, so I like to ride my bike around for a half hour or so- it relaxes me. Then I wake up and hour early and I find that I learn twice as much studying fresh in the morning. And I'm in a 5 week accelerated general chem II class right now, an accelerated math class, and working
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I work 40 hours a week, one on campus class during the summer and one on-line (during the fall/spring it is three or four classes) and of course trying to exercise and cook and eat better and get all of my school work done, etc. It can be rough because many days you just don't feel like cooking or exercising. Thankfully my on campus class this summer has helped me continue to feel motivated for losing weight because it is a social media management class and I am running a blog on weight loss. Since that integrates my school and losing weight, it feels a bit like cheating too, lol...

Like someone else said, when I work out I try to do it as soon as I get home before I make dinner or do any school work. Sometimes I will use my exercise bike and put my textbook on the book stand the bike has and read while I work out. That makes the time go by faster sometimes. I also brainstorm for my schoolwork while working out.

Making larger meals that you can eat off of for lunch or dinner for several days is good, too, because you can then spend more time those other days on school work and exercise.

If you get opportunities at work to be more active, take them! I work in a large office complex with lots of sidewalks and a huge parking lot that I can walk during breaks or lunch, though this is Florida so sometimes it is just too hot to get good motivation going.
  • I'm a full time law student and my university is 2 hours away from where I live. I believe that I'm doing one of the most difficult degrees possible. You must make your will power STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES. If you really want this, if it is your dream to lose weight and be at your ultimate goal weight, you will find ways and not excuses. I've lost 13 kg since June 2011 and I eat clean everyday. I find time to prepare healthy meals in between my study and I find time to exercise for at least an hour a day everyday, whether it is the beginning of the semester or coming up to exams. 1 hour of your day is nothing. There are 12 hours in a day. Surely you can spare one to exercise daily. It will actually help you in your studies. You can cook a whole batch of healthy meals at the start of the week and divide them into portions into your freezer so you have meals prepared for the week. WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY. If you really want something you will fight for it no matter what. Nothing could get in the way of me and my health and fitness not even an earthquake. This is the difference between those who achieve results and those who don't. You must manage your time, make schedules, make lists, get up early, prepare ahead, do whatever it takes. Not having enough time is an excuse. Right now there is somebody out there exercising - with 3 times your work and stressload . You never have enough time for anything in life. You must MAKE time. Decide how much you want this.
  • I'm tired of hearing everybodys excuses as to why they can't! Start telling yourself why you can !!! NO MORE EXCUSES. I've heard them all .
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm 36, a full time grad student, single parent to 2 kids (have to drive them everywhere this summer, canNOT wait for school to start again, lol) and I work. I only have to drive 30 mins to school though. I do it by getting up early in the morning and working out before I do anything else. If I wait until later in the day or when I have time at night I'll come up with excuses to put it off another day. I usually try to do my shopping on the weekends and plan a menu for the week. Quick easy meals and crock pot meals help me out a lot. We're in the process of trying new meals so every night isn't a success but hey, we're learning and it's cut down on the premade stuff we used to eat. And in the spirit of full disclosure this last week hasn't been the best example of this because I forgot to go shopping last weekend and with everything else going on we didn't have the healthiest meals this week, but it wasn't all crap either so it's progress. It gets easier when you just stick to it and it becomes more of a routine...at least that's what I keep telling myself :laugh: And like I said, some days are better than others.
  • jms2x2
    jms2x2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am really hoping that this community will help give me some extra strength to get over the excuses. I am a full time nursing student, I facilitate anatomy and physiology study groups, work at a local hospital and I have two sets of twins at home (ages 3 and 6). Most days I don't know which way is up, I just keep swimming and hope to come out on the right side. I'm ready to make some better choices for myself so that my kids can have a better childhood (adolescence, and young adulthood...) I look in the mirror and can't recognize who it is in the reflection. It is not the life I want for me. School will pass, my children will grow, and my work will change, but I have to live with me forever. The time is now... Hopefully I can listen to my own words, right!?!
  • shane9894
    shane9894 Posts: 23
    Options
    Short and simple...You should have a pretty good idea week to week what you need to do so make a schedule and stick to it. I would also try and find someone to workout/exercise with. It's too easy if your working out alone to say I don't have time today or I don't feel like it, but when your are accountable to someone else you are more likely to go ahead and get your work out in. I am married with three kids, a teacher (even though it's summer I am still teaching summer school), taking 7 hours of grad work over the summer, coach 2 different sports, and also hold a second job on the weekends so prioritizing and scheduling for me is a must. You can find time if you plan it ahead of time.
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm a new grad, I just finished nursing school a year ago. I was in school full time, I worked pretty well full time, and was busy. I learned to study n the treadmill. I would make up mini quizzes, and if I got the answer wrong I would up the incline or sprint for 30 seconds. I probably looked ridiculous with a binder on the machine with me, but I lost 20 pounds! I would take 45 minutes out of my day 4 days a week and do this.

I also per logged so I knew what I could have throughout the day. Preplanning took some effort, but it was well worth it.