Whey Protein

Options
Does anyone know of any good whey protein shake thats good for you and doesn't taste bad thats not to expensive

Replies

• cmurphy04722
    Options
    I like 100% Whey Protein-Gold Standard (chocolate). It was like $25 for 2 pounds. 22 grams of protein, only 5 grams of carbohydrates, 1.5 grams of fat and minimal lactose. It uses natural Stevia extract as the sweetener so I prefer it over any that use sucralose (splenda) or aspartame. It tastes amazing with chocolate soy milk light, but also decent with water. I'm sure it's awesome with milk or regular soy milk too. I've also added mini scoops to yogurt and smoothies with tasty results. I sort of think I should try to make some protein brownies with some of it hehe
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Oh! I love this one:

Naturade 100% Whey Protein Booster - Vanilla

Has 80 Cals in 2 scoops, 1 fat, 75 sodium, 40 potassium, 1 carb & 16 protein.

It's delish on Kashi crunch & almond milk w/ a little blueberries (low cal too) - with the protein powder it makes a complete clean meal.

It's my new fav breakfast.

I get mine at the whole food store.
  • Advengirl
    Advengirl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hey jdavis-
    I haven't had too much luck in finding a protein that fits all 3 categories (good for you, tastes good, inexpensive)...but inexpensive is a realitive term. I'm a cheap-*kitten* so everything's expensive to me! :D

I'm extremely picky about protein taste though- and I've tried at LEAST 10 different types between myself and my fiance. The only protein I like (as in, I'll buy it AND want to drink it) is Unjury. www.unjury.com
    Take a peak at my posts- I've written about it recent :)

I think it comes out to be just over $1 per serving (19-21g protein depending on flavor) but, considering how many bulk protein types I've bought and are STILL hidden in the depth of my cabinets because I 1) can't stand the thought of throwing them away 2) can't stand the thought of drinking them...the cost of Unjury is worth it, to me, since it won't be wasted.

They offer sample packets if you want to give it a shot before buying a whole container...

a few hints:
    Doable with water (don't have to choke it down) but I prefer milk
    When you prepare it....stir it up and then wait a min or two...and then stir again. That'll get out any lumps :)

I'm sure everyone has their favorite type and there are plenty of other good options out there- this was the only one that I've found, though.

Hope it helps! :D
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I use the Body Fortress stuff they sell at walmart. 2 pounds for 12 or 13$. The chocolate in pretty good. Sometimes I mix with milk, sometimes with coffee for a latte kind'a thing. It's pretty good, and the price is right. :smile:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I purchased Naturally Preferred last week. I chose it because it was the one at the store with the fewest calories when taking protein content into consideration + least amount of processed/unnecessary ingredients. It was $16.99 for 16 ounces which was one of the cheapest options per ounce as well. I got the vanilla flavor (there was also chocolate at the store) and don't drink it by itself. I mix half a scoop with frozen fruit & yogurt to make smoothies and it's REALLY tasty.
  • rachsam1970
    Options
    Check out "Designer Whey" protein powder. If you go to their website you can print a $2 off coupon. Also, if you're near a Trader Joe's, they sell it cheaper than most stores (I work there). I buy the chocolate powder and mix it with chocolate soy milk in the blender with ice and it's delicious!
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I stick with the GNC 100% Whey Protein Powder. There is a local GNC store nearby so it is just the easiest for me too. They have awesome flavors like Cookies and Cream, Banana Cream (AWESOME in oatmeal!) and Mixed Berry. They also have the standard Chocolate, Vanilla, etc. I haven't tried the vanilla but was told it isn't the best. But the others are great! Hope that helps!
  • MindyAZ9
    Options
    my boyfriend actully got me The Isopure Zero Carb - cookies and Cream. It is actully really good. It is 100% whey. For me Taste is a major factor. it was a little more but considering I replace a meal with it I was willing to spend a little extra for it.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=NP-1065&sourceType=cs&source=FG&cm_mmc=Shopping Engines-_-googleproduct-_-Isopure Zero Carb Cookie Cream - 3 Pound Powder-_-NP-1065&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=NP-1065
  • christieb143102
    christieb143102 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey!

My husband introduced me to an amazing protein shake. Its whey; called Pro Nos Double chocolate fudge. Mixed with water or skim milk its the best i've had.

Personally I make a meal out of it after my late evening or morning workouts...

I do...

1 - scoop powder
    1-cup skim milk
    2 tbls. smooth peanut butter
    1- med. frozen banana
    5- ice cubes

This is about 510 calories- full of all the nutrition you need. Reasons why I make it a meal. And its so thick its filling!

If you want less cals try taking out the PB- (about 180 cals). I can't because I have a PB addiction!

I'm addicted to this stuff!!!!!

I dont know how much it costs, he picks it up. But he has said its higher than others, and dont buy it at GNC they are a rip off!