Shopping on a budget

Options
I need to go shopping tomorrow but im on a budget and have to not only feed myself but a family of 5 and my boys won't eat most things i like (turkey, soy, veggies, etc) so i was wondering if anyone knew of goods things that will still help me lose weight but i can get my family to enjoy also with out spending much money...

Replies

• Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I need to go shopping tomorrow but im on a budget and have to not only feed myself but a family of 5 and my boys won't eat most things i like (turkey, soy, veggies, etc) so i was wondering if anyone knew of goods things that will still help me lose weight but i can get my family to enjoy also with out spending much money...

Barrila whole wheat pasta, lightly sauteed veggies and a can of cannalini neans rinsded and drained....add a little minced garlic to the veggies. Cheap, healthy and yummy! (And for breakfast left over in the morning, mix in a raw egg and cook on stove top...yummmm)!
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta, brown rice (you can hide the fact that it is brown), whole chickens (always cheaper than parts), eggs, lean ground beef....

FARMERS MARKET!!!! Fresh veggies at a fraction of the cost!!!!

Do your kids fish? We go fishing once every few weeks and usually get a good amount. We clean it and freeze it so we can use it at a later date.

Sometimes if the kids get involved with catching their food or picking out produce they are much more receptive to trying new things....
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I need a list of good foods to stock up on but are also cheap
  • anglbebe
    anglbebe Posts: 89 Member
    Options

you could always pretend its the same old thing, Or my daughter likes this show and so I pretend the cook on the show came up with the recipe first. My sons are really into anime, and one of the shows the charachter is obsessed with a Ramen shop called Ichiraku Ramen, so I invented my own.

1/4 bag frozen california veggies or any kind your family likes
    2 purple onions, cut into sliced so the layers are all intact. gives it the swirly look.
    1 pack seasoning
    1/2 pack seasoning
    3 packages of ramen,
    1 lb ground turkey
    Take ground turkey and 1 packet of seasoning mix together Make little balls and bake. till they are done, if you want them crispy or just done looking its up to you add the onions, and turkey balls to the water with what ever spices and seasonings you want and the 1/2 pack seasonings.
    When water boils for 5 minutes add the ramen, and and veggies.
    Boil for 4 minutes
    serve in bowls with chopsticks and eat.
    My kids adore this and beg for this.

But you could find new ways to add things in. Just have to be creative.
    add half brown rice to white rice. Half hamburg to turkey meat and then use less hamburg next time till you dont use any beef anymore. I also am on a budget with 4 kiddies and just me. Creativity is the word.
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I need a list of good foods to stock up on but are also cheap

It's really difficult to do little more than make some suggestions. Since I am unaware of your budget I can't really give you a "list". Your best bet is to do a bit of research...what does your family like? what do you like? what can you buy in bulk that is on sale? what can you fit in your freezer(s)?

Read the lables and be mindful of buying things that you can adapt... like potatoes; they can be mashed, baked, scalloped, made into fries- the possibilities are endless.
  • ceecee1977
    ceecee1977 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I second buying a whole chicken, so much cheaper and you can get a few meals out of it. Chicken noodle soup cheap and yummy. I am always on a strict budget when shopping since I became a SAHM, but I make it work by making as much of your foods as you can by scratch. Over a few shopping trips build up a supply of staples, like flour and sugar. In the long run it is so much cheaper to make you own pancakes rather than buy a pancake mix, for example. If you have the time to cook, then stay away from anything processed or already made... like 100 cal. snack packs, they are convenient but expensive and you can make more food at home with the same amount of money.

Also, Frozen veggies are cheaper and last longer.
    Tortillas for wraps for you and quesadillas (sp?) for the kids.
    HTH
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Canned beans! You can mix them with pasta, rice, diced tomatoes for chili, you name it! Fast, easy, cheap and healthy. Just make sure you get the no sodium added ones. Tons of fiber and protien.

I :heart: beans! Sadly, so does my husband! :laugh:
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great idea's im going to see what the stores have on sale and see what meals i can make out of the sale items..
  • christieb143102
    christieb143102 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Check out those recipes from Seinfelds wife...
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Canned beans! You can mix them with pasta, rice, diced tomatoes for chili, you name it! Fast, easy, cheap and healthy. Just make sure you get the no sodium added ones. Tons of fiber and protien.

I :heart: beans! Sadly, so does my husband! :laugh:

I agree....GO BEANS!!! But yes, try to go with the low sodium!!! We've "bean" adding a lot more beans to our diet the past two weeks, which is really good for not only me, but my growing teens as well!!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Cheap, tasty and healthy seems to be a hard combination for me as well.

Chili is cheap and good. Red kidney beans, canned tomatos, chili powder and a bit of brown sugar.

Mini pizzas- "In The Thin" buns, pasta sauce, shredded cheese (and whatever else you like).

Chicken & a little Shake n Bake is a favorite around here- we love it on a green salad or with brown rice. If your family likes "spicy" try putting a bit of hot sauce in the brown rice- it completely changes the flavor.

In the grocery freezer here, you can find Italian-style chicken balls that are really inexpensive for a big box- toss a few on top of pasta with a bit of cheese.

Sandwich wraps with deli meat.

Healthier crackers (I love Whole Grain Vegetable Thins) and cheese.

A variety of cereal.

Frozen strawberries, bananas and canned pineapple juice make the most delicious blender smoothie.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes, definitely add stuff to your brown rice. I add ginger and cayanne pepper all the time. When cooking one cup of brown rice I add about 1tsp of ginger, and maybe 1/2 tsp of cayanne. Be careful with the pepper. Not everyone lies it. I love it because it adds flavor. Add some frozen broccoli when it's almost done (or any veggie you like) and some beans, and you have a one pot meal! Oh, and I also love the diced tomatoes with jalapenos. I just ate lunch, but I am hungry thinking about it! :ohwell:
  • passionhi
    Options
    Sample list:

1. ground turkey( I know you said your kids don't like turkey, but you don't have tell 'em what it is, and most times when its cooked adults can't tell either)
    2. whole chicken(s) : clean, cut, and freeze them when you get home from the super market
    3. canned veggies(some ppl say that canned veggies aren't as healthy as fresh veggies, but mds will tell you that they are a good substitute if not just as good)
    4. mrs. dash ( it works wonders especially with ground turkey)
    5. turkey burgers( u can dress them up the same as a regular burgers for the kids, they will luv them)
    6. chicken hot dogs (most of them are only 100 cals each, you and the kids can enjoy these; and in most places cost less $1.5 a pack)
    7. wheat buns/bread (sara lee is really good)
    8. worcheshire sauce

**buy generic brand things, you can save lots of money that way. If your kids are label conscious store the products in food storage containers. Especially things like sugar, flour, canned veggies, and condiments.

I hope this helps. If you need more suggestions send me msg.