Best way to slim your legs?

Options
okay so currently I'm 5'7 and 118 pounds so I'm very happy at the healthy weight I am now but my legs are still big :mad: Someone told me there most likely just muscle if your at a healthy weight so they told me to run for a week straight then take a week off and eventually they'll start to slim down...do you think that could be true? If its not besides eating right what are the best ways to skinnier thighs without building a lot of muscle?

Replies

• elizabethmae1214
    Options
    Sounds like you are quite slim at the moment so you might have to find peace with your shape. I'm 5'5 and only have a 29" inseam. My legs are short but strong. In the past I was always insecure about them but when i started running I started appreciating them a lot more. Just yesterday my coworker commented "Your calves are massive!" and in the past that would've made me very insecure (even though she was trying to compliment me) but instead i was like "Yeah! Touch em! They're solid!" At your height/weight I can't imagine your legs not looking proportionate but if you want to post a pic of yourself I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    okay so currently I'm 5'7 and 118 pounds so I'm very happy at the healthy weight I am now but my legs are still big :mad: Someone told me there most likely just muscle if your at a healthy weight so they told me to run for a week straight then take a week off and eventually they'll start to slim down...do you think that could be true? If its not besides eating right what are the best ways to skinnier thighs without building a lot of muscle?

Do you know what your bodyfat is? Honestly at 5'7" and 118lbs I'd say you're probably pretty lean. What's your exercise routine look like?
  • nattielove
    nattielove Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Running. Not fast, or interval training. Just keep running - long distances.
  • kkmarie11
    kkmarie11 Posts: 114
    Options

just slow long and should i run at an incline or would that build muscle?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Why don't you want muscle?

Any physical exercise you do will build muscle....
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Why don't you want muscle?

Any physical exercise you do will build muscle....

You can build strength and endurance but you won't necessarily build muscle mass.

Personally I think a woman with stronger or more athletic looking legs that look great in a sundress or jeans if far far hotter than skinny little legs.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    No you can't spot reduce.... I'm sure they look fine though. There's nothing wrong with having bigger legs :D
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    if your a pear shape...your legs will always be bigger....maybe if you tone your legs you might feel better. Could do squats and lunges.
  • fatcatjack
    fatcatjack Posts: 29
    Options
    OMG...you are 5'7 and 118?? I am 5'7 and the charts recommend I weigh 150, which I personally think would look sickly. I wonder if you have some body dysmorphia? This just sounds really messed up to me.
  • kkmarie11
    Options
    if your a pear shape...your legs will always be bigger....maybe if you tone your legs you might feel better. Could do squats and lunges.

i am pear shape so i think i might try and tone them to see results...its just mostly my inner thigh that never looks good
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My legs have toned up a lot from running, I am not fast and don't do much interva/speedl work but do run around 4 times a week. I also do some weight training for my quads and hamstrings to stay strong.
  • haheisick
    haheisick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My old roommate was your height/weight and didn't have any body dysmorphia or a disorder. Some people are naturally slimmer than others!

One thing you can do is walk on the treadmill with a slight incline, and focus on taking "strong steps." Make your strides long and deliberate, doing the best you can to isolate the leg muscles. This worked for me when I had the same issue - 9 hours of dance class a week in grad school bulked up those thighs and I wasn't having any of it! :)
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    OMG...you are 5'7 and 118?? I am 5'7 and the charts recommend I weigh 150, which I personally think would look sickly. I wonder if you have some body dysmorphia? This just sounds really messed up to me.

wow! why don't you stop being judgmental and help her instead? What would you say if people would tell you you'll still fat after you lost X amount of weight but finally got down to 150? I can relate to her as I'm 5'6,116 lbs and certainly don't have body dysmorphia and I don't look sick. Your comment is really rude.

To the OP: I'm like you. My thighs are the biggest part of me. Unfortunately, that sucks. The fat came off everywhere (especially my breast, uh) but just a bit from my legs. I run and lift and I don't really know what else to do but keep working out and accepting the way I am. I'm doing Brazilian butt lift and it's helping slowly (after 1 month I can see my butt getting higher and tighter, but you have to be patient).
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Actually, I do think it's helpful to point out that, at 118 and 5 7, it's very unlikely she actually needs to slim her legs down....

You feel it would be better and more helpful to assist someone in pursuing an unhealthy goal, and in maintaining a distored body image?

Oddly enough, I'm not sure everyone shares precisely your view of what being 'helpful' involves....
  • kkmarie11
    Options
    To the OP: I'm like you. My thighs are the biggest part of me. Unfortunately, that sucks. The fat came off everywhere (especially my breast, uh) but just a bit from my legs. I run and lift and I don't really know what else to do but keep working out and accepting the way I am. I'm doing Brazilian butt lift and it's helping slowly (after 1 month I can see my butt getting higher and tighter, but you have to be patient).
    [/quote]
    i think I might try that i did do the 30 day shred and it helped me lose weight and tone everything except for my thighs which i did not see much improvment :p but I'll try that and thank you for the nice helpful advice