Running vs. Jogging

Options
When does jogging transition into running? How do you define the two?

I feel like I jogged myself through C25K (nothing wrong with that) the first few times. This time around I want to RUN. So I been going through the program on the treadmill in order to force myself to run at 6+ mph, or a 10 minute mile or better. That feels a bit slow now that I've been doing it for a few weeks.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    they are the same. i think the difference is hyped up by running snobs who want to differentiate themselves as being more authentic than others. one person's run is another person's jog.

if i'm moving at a pace that's too fast for me to walk then i'm running regardless of the pace. if i'm running at a pace that i can't keep with for more than 20 seconds then i'm sprinting
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    yeaaaah.. i dunno i use to wonder this. but seriously everyone has different size legs etc so how can u truly base a difference based on speed etc lol! in my opinion the only thing i think it running your going all out, where jogging is maybe a slower run . all in all i consider it the same!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    No difference. Though Pearl Izumi pissed a lot of people off with their "we are not joggers" advertising campaign.
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I believe it's called "yogging"
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    it's the same...although, I consider treadmill jogging and when it's not hades hot outside, ill go for a run. But basically the same thing.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Humans have 2 modes of motion. Walking, whereby one foot is constantly in contact with the ground; and running where (however briefly) both feet are off the ground. (well maybe 3 if you included hopping but I don't foresee that becoming the next fitness craze....)

Jogging generally refers to running at a leisurely pace. Some runners take offense at being called joggers, personally I couldn't care less what term people use as long as you're out there moving and getting your heart rate up.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Humans have 2 modes of motion. Walking, whereby one foot is constantly in contact with the ground; and running where (however briefly) both feet are off the ground. (well maybe 3 if you included hopping but I don't foresee that becoming the next fitness craze....)

Jogging generally refers to running at a leisurely pace. Some runners take offense at being called joggers, personally I couldn't care less what term people use as long as you're out there moving and getting your heart rate up.

Dang, most of those people who denegrate jogging are those that cannot jog (or run) - ignore them all :oD
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I'm super slow. I call it "slogging" :laugh:
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I'm super slow. I call it "slogging" :laugh:

^ you totally took my answer! :wink:
  • CLSostarich
    Options
    Awhile back when I told my husband I was going for a run, he said that what I did was jog, not run. I did feel offended by that, lol. It felt like he was downgrading it, as if it didn't take as much effort. I think that's what makes people angry. No, I'm not an olympic sprinter and I'm not going to win any timed races....my pace is only 8.5-9 mph in the grass or 7.5-8 on flat ground but I'm running damnit!
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I am more of a wogger then a jogger.
  • xxTAMxx
    xxTAMxx Posts: 614
    Options
    Joggers bounce up and down at stop lights. Runners just stand there, looking pissed.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    http://www.yogawiz.com/blog/walking/normal-walking-speed.html

They have running and jogging as seperate things.. I figured Id post it for a laugh. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

They have running and jogging as seperate things.. I figured Id post it for a laugh. :)

Especially the sentence........"However, since the average human running speed is between 12 mph and 15 mph. " :huh:

I know lots of fast runners, I don't know too many that can sustain 5 minute (or faster miles) for any distance. The author clearly doesn't know what she's talking about and should probably go back to writing school (weird sentence "However, since....." and then left hanging)
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Joggers bounce up and down at stop lights. Runners just stand there, looking pissed.

LOL and I just thought the bouncers were dieing for a pee.........
  • LanderRose81
    LanderRose81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Maybe we should all say we are going out for a "jun?" :laugh:

In all honesty I have wondered the same thing at times myself - and even asked my hubby why he says; "you don't run - you jog." To which I reply - "at least I'm off the couch!" :laugh:
  • fasterandbetter
    fasterandbetter Posts: 101 Member
    Options

no human being can run at 15 mph for long distances, marathon world record is 2 hours 3 minutes which is about 13 mph and we are talking here about elite athlete runners, she clearly does not know what she is talking about.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I try not to get bogged down by the semantics. To use a quote that is not my own "People that matter don't mind and people that mind don't matter."

9114468.png

Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it!
    <=>
  • elizabethmae1214
    Options

THIS
    Hilarious!
    I call myself a runner, and I never bounce while waiting for traffic. I pause my Nike+ and scowl at my inability to "make the light" LOL
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

no human being can run at 15 mph for long distances, marathon world record is 2 hours 3 minutes which is about 13 mph and we are talking here about elite athlete runners, she clearly does not know what she is talking about.

Besides which 15mph is what the four minute mile was run at - I am damn sure I could NOT run the four minute mile :laugh: