Weight going up? Confused

Options
Maybe this is a little premature but it's bugging me. I think I've been eating well and working out a decent amount all week (at least getting a good sweat going) and my weight wen UP a pound?! It's not weigh in day yet, but still! It's really bugging me!'

My only idea is that this could be water retention so I'm going to drink a lot of water for the next couple days, but looking at my diary, does anything have an idea?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    +/- 2 lbs is natural variation and measurement accuracy. 1 lb is neither here not there.

Did you skip some meals recently ? protein looks low Thurs & Fri
  • lourolfes
    lourolfes Posts: 13
    Options
    I go through this ALL the time. It is extremely frustrating and I completely feel your pain. My only advice is to not let that stupid number dictate the way you feel about your progress. Just keep doing what you know you should do--eating within your calories and exercising-- and the scale will eventually catch up. I know it's tough but if we don't allow the scale some variance, we'd all jump off these diets in a heartbeat.

Keep up the good work and good luck!
  • AussieRachG
    AussieRachG Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Also remember that if you are working out regularly, you are also slowly building healthy muscle, which weighs more than fat. So some weight increase is good news! The more muscle you have, the more calories that are burnt with every little move.
  • lourolfes
    lourolfes Posts: 13
    Options
    One last thing...I almost always see some small weight gain after my sodium has gone up. I'm not sure of your exact numbers as sodium isn't on your diary, but I think the McDonald's, pizza, and hot dogs might be within your calorie limit, but might make you exceed your recommended sodium intake. Thus leading to a little water retention/weight gain. Not an expert at this by any stretch of the imagination, but that's how it's been for me.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    OP weight fluctuates all the time, providing you have stuck to your daily calorie allowance that has enabled you to lose weight before, that one pound will fall off again.

If you have done a hard training session for instance, fluid will surround the muscles for a few hours, this will push your weight up until that fluid subsides.

Seriously do not fret about that pound, I bet it will be back down by the morning.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    here's a picture of my weight loss in the last two months:

Weight+graph+6-16-12.jpg

As you can see, weight loss is not linear.

For this graph, I weigh daily, but I'm paying attention to the overall trend, NOT the day to day fluctuations (which can be 2 pounds or more).
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Peh, mine fluctutates up to 5lbs sometimes. I don't read too much into it unless it's consecutively higher for several weigh-ins.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You might try eating more but healthy of course. You may be eating too less for your body which would then WORK AGAINST you in losing weight. Every one Individual loses weight differently. While some ppl can get away with cutting cals and lose, others have to UP cals to lose... Really you just gotta play around with it.. I think the only thing I can give you to possibly help with ur problem is try the zigzagging method its easy and pretty much set out for how many calories to eat per wk. to lose weight heres the link:

http://www.naturalphysiques.com/64/zig-zag-calculator-for-fat-loss-andor-muscle-gain

(Note: I wouldnt do the drastic weight loss thing just the keep it simple one:)
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements! I've only lost 1.5 pounds since I measured last but yesterday I took my measurements and I'd lost 1.5 inches off my neck, 2 inches off my bust, 4 inches off my waist and 2 inches off my hips! I'm glad I took the measurements because I've been getting discouraged by that stupid scale! I'm dropping sizes like crazy too! I've gone from a 20 women's jean to a 16 women's jean and have only lost 25 pounds! Good luck to you!