Not losing weight, but losing the will..!

Options
Hi All,

Another Plataeu thread I'm afraid! I am prepared to get a bashing or telling off or even no replies, I know what the forums can be like but, I need some help as I'm ready to throw in the towel here...

A bit about me...

I've been an active member of mfp since jan last year and I lost 33lb for my wedding in October. I ran 3x per week and did a few Jillian Michaels DVDs... Since the wedding, I gained about 6lb and kept it on until New Years... Since New Years I lost and gained it about 5 times til I finally lost it and got back to my lowest wedding weight again, so back to 33lbs lost, that put me at 147lbs. Recently my dad has been critically ill and I have spent a lot of time at the hospital with him, in that time I went down to 144 but I know how, it was because I skipped breakfast and had one big meal for about a week... Since then (which was about a month ago) I am back to my usual weight of 146.6lb.. I've been eating healthy as per, drinking water, about 7-9 cups although I quit logging them.. I have been doing Insanity the past 2 weeks, I'm netting about 1500... I just can't seem to EVER get past the 146-147 mark since October it feels like!

What am I doing wrong?? Be gentle......

Replies

• tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight, your metabolism can slow down as it doesn't take as many cals to keep your body running. Increasing muscle will increase this number, but does add weight. Where you are isn't bad, but more of a calorie deficit may be needed to lose more.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    What do you mean more of a calorie deficit and how much more? Thanks for reply..
  • schninie82
    Options
    how tall are you?

I'm 29 yo, 5'6" tall. Start weight 180, current weight since ever 146.6 and goal weight range 133-140
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself...You quit logging your food in. Speaking (personally) for myself...If I don't log my food in and weight and measure it...my weight loss/gain always starts becoming a crap shot.
  • schninie82
    Options
    You said it yourself...You quit logging your food in. Speaking (personally) for myself...If I don't log my food in and weight and measure it...my weight loss/gain always starts becoming a crap shot.

No I said I quit logging my water.
  • beansprouts
    Options
    Did you know that water is the most important food that you put into your body? If the water is off everything else will be off too!
  • schninie82
    Options
    Did you know that water is the most important food that you put into your body? If the water is off everything else will be off too!

Please read what I said. I said, I drink 7-9 cups daily, I just don't update my food diary to show the amount of cups drank.
  • Windy32
    Windy32 Posts: 54
    Options
    I found when my daughter was in the hospital I gained more weight then when i was pregnant with her. Don't give up on your weightloss. you will have weeks where the scale tends not to move but it will happen. Keep logging and keep working out.
  • pegglestolose20
    Options
    Speaking from past experiences, changing things up will blast your plateau. Change exercises, like......lift weights or do sprints instead of running. Also raise your calories to 1600 for a week. Then dip it to 1300 for another week. It worked wonders for me in the past. Now older and working to lose 20 lbs.
  • schninie82
    Options
    I found when my daughter was in the hospital I gained more weight then when i was pregnant with her. Don't give up on your weightloss. you will have weeks where the scale tends not to move but it will happen. Keep logging and keep working out.

Thank you for the words of encouragement, it's just that sometimes I feel like i have 'kept on' for months now and still nothing...beginning to think this is it, this is me and I've to accept it but then I think I can't be... I've had 2 children and I've the biggest stomach ever, that's gotta be 7lbs ready to shift right there!! So what's going on..? Just can't get my head round it...
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    Honestly I don't think your doing anything wrong. I to know where your coming from, and all I can say is don't give up!!!!
    The only thing I could can think of that helped me is just switching up exercises...maybe stick to running and walking for a week, and then go back to what you were doing, and see how that goes. I use to drink 9 cups of water a day, and increase to like 12. I also was eating about 1750 calories a day and drop to like 1450....

I hope I helped you out at least a little
  • Luciendasky
    Luciendasky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you are struggling and I am sorry about your dad. I don't know what is causing your lack of weight loss, but I have a suggestion/comment/whatever (you don't have to take it).

I read somewhere that skipping meals over any period of time will mess up your metabolism and it could take a few weeks to get it back in order (I don't know if this is true as I am not a doctor). I understand that you are worried about you dad and that is really understandable. Maybe you could relax from the weight loss regime for a couple weeks while he recovers and in the meantime, pack some healthy snacks to take with you while you are on the go to help get your metabolism going again.

I wish you and your father good luck and health.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    First, thanks for making your diary available - it helps when we can see it.

Second, it looks good to me, so I can't say avoid this or that type of food.

A couple of thoughts. If your lifestyle is set to active, try setting it to sedentary and go by the new calorie suggestions. Another suggestion, which works for a friend of mine, is eat a high calorie count one day and a low the next- so that the two together average to what you should have per day. Doing that works wonders for her.

Whatever you do, give it a couple of weeks before you decide it is or isn't working. Sometimes it takes our bodies that long to adjust.

And, remember that this is a journey to becoming healthier, not just skinnier. Even if the scale isn't moving, you're doing something for yourself that will make you healthier as your grow older. 60 may seem like a long way away, but when you get there and see how much healthier you are than a lot of your family and peers, you'll be thankful.
  • AllieBug25
    AllieBug25 Posts: 61
    Options
    how tall are you?

I'm 29 yo, 5'6" tall. Start weight 180, current weight since ever 146.6 and goal weight range 133-140

I am having the same problem!! I am less than 10 lbs away from my goal weight, and I seem to be stuck. Maybe this is a bad idea, but it worked for me: I took a week off of dieting. I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it. I did gain some weight back, but I lost it way faster than I anticipated and it seemed to have helped my plateau. I lost what I gained and some, and I am still losing at a pretty steady weight, so I am just that much closer to my goal weight.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have no words of wisdom since I'm in the same boat, but I am so sympathetic! Been stuck in the same 3 pound up-down range for years now, still 10-15 over where I'd like to be, still not fitting back into my clothes. Gained the extra weight during menopause and a stretch of being at the hospital night after night for months with a dying relative, and haven't been able to budge it.

Oh and yes, I've also been slammed by people for "not trying hard enough" and stuff like that.

So I have no idea what to tell you, but if you find out, let me know!!
  • beansprouts
    Options

Please read what I said. I said, I drink 7-9 cups daily, I just don't update my food diary to show the amount of cups drank.

And I'm just saying that you need to make sure that you log you water in too...so that you will know exactly what is happening with your body...Changes in your water intake WILL affect your metabolism!
  • empenTen
    empenTen Posts: 29
    Options
    One trick I always do when I am plateauing.....I tend to eat the same type of things for breakfast, lunch and dinner when I am watching my calories as I feel safe that way. When I hit a plateau, for 1 week, I just completely change the foods I eat. I mean literally do not eat 1 thing the same as the previous week. Still keep within my calories but if I was having porridge for breakfast then I would have egg on toast, swap out the dinners and just completely change it, dont even have the same snacks.

This has always worked for me, my plateau gets a kick and I start to drop a lb or 2 again. It has the added bonus of shaking up the drudgery and when I start back after the week then I find I am re-weighing things and double checking my portions etc so am in full control (which I suspect was probably the cause of my plateau in the first place). It also helps to find new things to eat and adds variety.

Hope this helps in some way x
  • WendySue67
    WendySue67 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements other than weight? It might be that your body has found it's set point and you shouldn't be trying to go any lower...that number is different for everyone and people tend to set random goals of how much they "want" to weigh without considering what your body wants you to weigh. If you are exercising and eating well you may be losing inches instead of pounds. I personally am more interested in what size I wear and how healthy I feel than what the scale says.

On another note, cutting back on more calories could cause you problems. It is generally recommended that a woman (especially one that is exercising) not eat less than 1200 calories a day. I did that once (cut my calories back to 850 on the recommendation from a Weight Loss Center) and it made my hair start falling out, my period stop and I ended up at the doctor's office after about 6 weeks. (And I STILL wasn't losing any more weight.) So be careful with that.
  • jb2323player
    Options
    omg you are doing awesome! i am also 5"6 and struggling at 175..i was on MFP and down to 163 when I went north to work for 4 months and lost all track and devoured everything in sight..I gained 14 ibs..was so disgusted..now I'm starting again..Do you do any stomach exercises such as sit-ups,ect? I walk and exercise between 1-2 hours everyday but waters my downfall..I drink 1 glass a day..my goal weight is 154 as thats where I'm comfortable..Also I'm over 50..i will get there..Maybe your at your comfort weight..If not vgl to you:smile:12189612.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter