Does Diet Soda contain hidden calories?

Options
does diet soda contain any calories. I know the label says zero calories, but are there actually some hidden calories we don't know about? i was researching, and there are rumors around the net that the diet coke/pepsi companies will mislead people and actually put more calories in the diet soda. i don't believe every thing i hear, but it has me a little paranoid and worried. i love my diet soda. i just want to make sure i'm not accidentally consuming more calories than i think i am?

Replies

• bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Not in the drink itself. However, I hear that the sugar sub. They use can make your body crave sweets. Also it can make you feel bloated, which may give the appearance of you being larger than you are. I do think that they are 0 cal like they claim however. Will you gain fat from something 0 cal? No. Could it cause you to feel bloated and appear larger? Yes it can. :) I enjoy a diet Pepsi maybe once a week, I like the taste :) but honestly if I wanted a regular I would have it (one regular coke a week if you fit it into your cals/macros will not break you) but I've always actually liked diet better, even when I was not trying to lose weight lol
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    If it did, I would weigh much, much more. There are probably other 'evils' in it but calories (beyond the rounding type, as in .5 can be labeled as 0)- I don't think so.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Something can be labeled 0 calories and have up to five calories per serving. For instance, a 20 oz bottle of Diet Mountain Dew has a total of 10 calories, but it's technically 2.5 servings of 8 ounces and 4 calories a serving.

You'd have to drink a LOT of soda for the amount of calories to amount to anything.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    does diet soda contain any calories. I know the label says zero calories, but are there actually some hidden calories we don't know about? i was researching, and there are rumors around the net that the diet coke/pepsi companies will mislead people and actually put more calories in the diet soda. i don't believe every thing i hear, but it has me a little paranoid and worried. i love my diet soda. i just want to make sure i'm not accidentally consuming more calories than i think i am?

If the diet soda says zero calories, then zero calories is what it contains.

If those companies really were misleading people and secretly sticking ingredients into the stuff that contained calories, they would be liable for billions of pounds/dollars in lawsuits, it would not be worth it for them to risk their whole business, because it would surely ruin their whole outfit.
  • BeesKnees
    BeesKnees Posts: 25
    Options
    Not in the drink itself. However, I hear that the sugar sub. They use can make your body crave sweets. Also it can make you feel bloated, which may give the appearance of you being larger than you are. I do think that they are 0 cal like they claim however. Will you gain fat from something 0 cal? No. Could it cause you to feel bloated and appear larger? Yes it can. :) I enjoy a diet Pepsi maybe once a week, I like the taste :) but honestly if I wanted a regular I would have it (one regular coke a week if you fit it into your cals/macros will not break you) but I've always actually liked diet better, even when I was not trying to lose weight lol

I agree with this. I stopped drinking diet coke (and all soda) in the beginning of March and haven't looked back since. I have felt way less bloated (ALWAYS felt bloated before). Less headaches, and definitely haven't craved as much sweets, and have been less "snacky" overall. I have just been overall more hydrated. I used to drink diet coke all day, every day. So to switch to water made a huge difference.
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    Diet soda contains artificial sugars and there is some research that suggests that artificial sugars and sugar alcohols (contained in sugar free gum and weight loss bars & shakes) do have an effect on your blood sugar. Regular sugar causes a spike in your blood sugar which can lead to weight gain. So while I do believe that these diet sodas are calorie free, I don't believe that they have no effect on your weight. You can still gain weight drinking diet soda.

More info:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/sugaralcohols.htm

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/sugar-alcohols.html