Good (and Easy) Take to Work Lunch Ideas

Options
moochachip
moochachip Posts: 237 Member
Lately for my office job, I have been bringing Lean Cuisine pizzas and paninis. I have been noticed though while looking at the nutrition label however that despite the calories.. There is a lot of sodium in those meals. I'd like to change that.

What do people do for their lunches?

Replies

• coullmom
    coullmom Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I used to eat these alot!! But noticed the same thing about the sodium and realized that could be why I couldn't get the weight off. For lunches for work, I bring those minute rice single containers, small piece of chicken or pork from the night before dinner, salads, tuna in a can with flavour (supermarket has them), crackers, hummus, fruit, veggies, chicken wraps, can of soup (kind you just heat and eat. there are lots of great things you can do if you have a microwave there. Moarly I try and make extra food the night before to bring with me to work, otherwise I would be going out and grabbing fast food or eating chips and chocolates. Hope this helped you.
  • Sstjacques
    Options
    I love the lean cusine pizzas- but agree there is too much sodium so I make my own. I use a wheat pita- instead of opening it up i just stack everyhing on top like a pizza crust. You can make it in the morning and toast in the oven and then reheat in the microwave. it's a little more time but so yummy and you can control the ingredients:smile:
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I pack my lunch the evening before with baby carrots, cucumber slices, fruit and nuts. Generally I cook something the evening before like chicken breasts, low fat - healthy pizza using Mission tortillas [I generally make 2 and have one for lunch the next day], etc. It's better if you can cook something but I do use certain low sugar Lean Cuisine meals when I haven't had the time. I pack 2 snacks each day also - fruit, string cheese, nuts are just a few examples.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I make an assortment of salads, quinoa, farro, wheat berries, wheat orzo salads. They are clean, healthy, delicious, and nutritious!
  • RenVan
    RenVan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My go-to meal is usually a large leafy green salad with a mix of fresh veggies, feta and either ham or turkey for protein.
    Once in awhile I will bring leftover quinoa salad or soup.
    My snacks are usually fresh fruit, veggies, cottage cheese and occasionally a luna bar for after my workout.
    And lots of water! (I work 12 hr shifts)
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I take leftovers, hassle free and I know exactly how many cals is in it :)
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I cook boneless chicken thighs on Sunday for the week and put them in the freezer. Each day, I take 2 pieces of chicken and fill the other compartment with frozen vegetables (about 3 cups). Since everything is frozen, it keeps cool in the lunch box until lunch time...no need for "ice".

This way, you control the sodium, the flavors, and the fat content... :)
  • rosecook425
    rosecook425 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been eating salads with different peppers or veggies in there. Sometimes Ill add some tuna fish or garbanzo beans for some added protein. But I try to pay attention to extra calories that negate the health benefits of salads ie dressing and croutons stuff like that. But if all else fails Ill pack left overs from the night before lol.
  • jessylynn24
    Options
    I used to bring Lean Cuisine lunches to work every day for months, but have since branched out some and now only bring them once a week. I like to get inventive with different kinds of salads. Some with romaine, iceberg, spinach leaves. Add all the veggies I want and maybe some chicken or an egg for protein. I also like to take sauteed zucchini and squash sometimes. I recently made a veggie lasagna in a huge pan and cut it up into like 12 portions so I could freeze some and keep some in the refrigerator so I could take it to work. I also like to take fresh fruit to lunch like strawberries, a banana, orange, peach, or an apple. Maybe some pretzels to munch on as a snack. or carrot sticks. Snack size baggies come in handy. I love the Lean Cuisine's like you, but they do have a lot of sodium, etc. Hope you find some great ideas! I will watch this thread, because maybe we can both get some new info from others :) Have a great weekend.
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I make crockpot refried beans and have them cold as a dip with wholwheat tortilla chips that I baked in the oven from wraps, and sprinkled with a bit of Maldon sea salt (I have low blood pressure).

I make a variant of tabouleh with bulgar wheat, lemon juice, fresh chilli, fresh parsley, cucumber, fresh mint (I skip the olive oil), black pepper, feta cheese and wholewheat pitta bread.

I also make a warm spiced chickpea and mushroom salad, that I just eat cold as leftovers.

I post recipes I use and adapt on my status/home feed, I think I made it public if you want to look, or you can add me, I don't mind which.
  • jessylynn24
    Options
    I love the lean cusine pizzas- but agree there is too much sodium so I make my own. I use a wheat pita- instead of opening it up i just stack everyhing on top like a pizza crust. You can make it in the morning and toast in the oven and then reheat in the microwave. it's a little more time but so yummy and you can control the ingredients:smile:

I love this idea! I am going to try it for sure, sounds yummy. Thanks for the tip!
  • Nahnita
    Nahnita Posts: 23
    Options
    Here is what I am planning this weekend to try to beat the processed food trap.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Nahnita/view/great-idea-for-portion-control-and-convenience-277605
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I buy my weeks lunch on sat or Sunday and keep in refrigerator at work. I know this is not possible for everybody. And there's always the chance of theft.

I have been buying Purdue chicken strips 5 grain flax artisan folding flat bread and oikos Greek yogurt, this makes for a filling 300 Cal lunch

I also buy bagged salads and add chicken strips and Newman's own vinegarette for some variety
  • princessboss
    Options
    Anything on a Josephs oat bran /flax pita. Good as a pocket sandwich or toasted for chips/salsa or pizza.they are only 60 calories and low Carb and high fiber.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I almost always do leftovers or salad. My salad is usually: spring greens, grape tomatoes, cucumber, and a can of oil packed starkist tuna with some balsamic vinegar.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    canned tuna with salad
    pita with steamed veggies
    cereal
    mixed steamed veggies no sauce with a morningstar farms protein

majority of the time its veggies or a salad. quick and easy.
  • Kulli1
    Kulli1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My staple work lunch is a weight watchers bagel that i warm for 20 seconds in the microwave, with low fat phildephia, my fave is black pepper and spring onion, and then a couple of sliced tomatoes on top. I follow that with a low fat cadbury chocolate mousse for a bit of something sweet.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    My lunch at workpretty much every day is an apple, an ounce of cheese and an ounce of walnuts (okay, honestly, I do candied ones, but plain would work too). It's nice and varied with different textures and tastes and it really hits the spot! It's also quick, quick, quick - and portable - so if I'm on the go, it can easily go with me. If I'm really craving a bit more, I keep some Dr. McDougall's soup cups in my drawer at work. My favorite is a tomato pasta that is 100 calories and isn't all that high in salt, despite being an "instant" soup.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Lunch can be anything of course. I often "cook" my lunch before going to bed, pack it so it's ready to go. Here's some of my lunches:

Asian lettuce wraps (skinnytaste.com)
    Seafood chowder (Amy's tomato bisque, one can clams, cut up shrimp) + Grilled cheese with bacon (sandwich thin, ff cheese, 1 slice bacon)
    Loaded baked potato soup + sandwich (skinnytaste.com recipe)
    Chicken salad on sandwich thin or lettuce leaves
    Tuna salad on crackers
    smoked oysters + crackers
    Veggie plate (mostly roasted veggies either cold or heated up in microwave)
    Ham + cream cheese wrapped pickles
    Swedish meatballs + lingonberry preserves (skinnytaste.com recipe)

I made soups/chowders, pack one and freeze the rest for later on so I usually have soup or chowder in the freezer. I just add either a salad or sandwich and lunch is ready. Most days I check my food diary (I preplan a week in advance) right before bed. I make what I need to (i.e. tuna or chicken salad), pack what's needed (sandwich thin or crackers, fruit, etc.), put everything in the fridge and I'm good to go in the morning.

Advance planning is the only thing that works for me. I advance plan my meals and advance plan packing my lunch for the next day. If I didn't,. I'd be eating Subway every day and soon turn into Jared.