I just dont understand!

Options
I dont understand why whenever you start losing weight or telling people about your goal to lose weight there is always that one friend that asks you why you are doing it and says you look fine the way you are. I know i am not ugly but i am tired of my weight holding me back because i cant do something like go on rides, keep up with the kids or even basic things like walking further without being out of breath.

Does anyone else have a friend that has sorta tried to discourage you from you diet weather they were trying or not.

I know i can and will do this but the conversation i had with my friend a few days ago has stuck in my head and is annoying me right now...ok vent and question over now i will get back to my cleaning:)

Replies

• nattielove
    nattielove Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's an awkward conversation to have. If you don't want that reaction, keep it to yourself, or be ready to list off your goals to shut them up. Not everybody knows the right thing to say or how to be supportive. Essentially, you're complaining about someone who has made it clear to you they think you're great the way you are.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I dont understand why whenever you start losing weight or telling people about your goal to lose weight there is always that one friend that asks you why you are doing it and says you look fine the way you are. I know i am not ugly but i am tired of my weight holding me back because i cant do something like go on rides, keep up with the kids or even basic things like walking further without being out of breath.

Does anyone else have a friend that has sorta tried to discourage you from you diet weather they were trying or not.

I know i can and will do this but the conversation i had with my friend a few days ago has stuck in my head and is annoying me right now...ok vent and question over now i will get back to my cleaning:)

Seriously, it doesn't matter how they like the way you look, what really matters is how YOU like yourself at the moment.

Continue with your plans, just don't bother discussing them with your friend, because you will end up being lectured at and you really can do without that.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I don't think your friend is trying to discourage you, s/he's letting you know that you're fine the way you are, meaning they'd love you no matter what. This is what REAL friends do/say.

I have a friend who is like that. He's been my friend for about 12+ years and he's ALWAYS telling me that I'm fine the way I am, but I know that's only because he's been attracted to me practically since we've met lol But I also know it's because he loves me dearly and would support me either way.

However, if your friend approaches it NEGATIVELY and RELLY tries to discourage you, then you should wonder what kind of friend he really is.

Regardless of what others say, do what YOU need to do to make yourself happy and healthy, and quit worrying about the reactions of others. Just focus on doing what's best for YOU.

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • jenniferrebekahsands
    Options
    Diana,
    When that happens to me I try to put a positive spin on it. I think some people who are our friends feel weird about admitting that we need to lose weight. I think that they feel like to agree with us is them saying that they are agreeing we are fat and as a friend they don't want to do that. I think that's a natural reaction from some friends trying to be our friend. It goes against some people's view of friendship to be critical and friends usually take us as we are if they are true friends. I think it is hard for some friends to agree we need to lose weight because of this.

OR, if the friend is overweight themselves they could have selfish motives. They may not be willing to see you "move on" without them. This isn't right but it does happen as well.

With my true, close friends I think it would be the former. They just take me as I am and don't want to be critical or judge me for my current weight.

You should stick to your weight loss, confide in those that support you when you need it and if it is still bothering you and your friend continues to take this stance even after seeing the positives that weight loss will have in your life then you should confront them (not angrily, but just be honest with how you're feeling about their attitude. Explain why you are doing it and ask for their support). If they still don't get it then you don't need them in your support system for this. What you do with your overall friendship between the two of you after that will be up to you.

You are beautiful now. But you are right. Weight loss will bring you the benefits of health and fitness that will allow you so many opportunities in the future! Good luck on your journey. I will be here if you need any support in the future.
    jen
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    I've been known to say the wrong thing. I'm sure you have, too.

Forgive and move on. It sounds more like unconditional friendship than judgement to me.
  • diana4583
    diana4583 Posts: 20
    Options
    Im not mad at my friend just was confused and wondering if others have had same thing happen..and you all got good points..i guess i should put my head up and remember this is for me not anyone else...thanks again everyone
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    real friends tell you you are overweight and need to make changes in your life. just like a real friend would tell you you are an alcoholic.
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I constantly hear from people that I don't need to lose anymore weight...i think some people just want to make you feel good, others are too lazy to change themselves and can't be happy for others. I just ignore the comments or laugh them off. maybe if you change your life you can be inspiration to your friends.