downside to loosing weight for me :(

Options
Basically all my life iv Been on and off with my weight id have months where I barely ate (can remember going a week on pop) then rapidly change and eat junk and by doing that my body is scarred for life with stretchmarks!
My hips, boobs, back, arms, all the back of my legs absolutely covered.
Now I'm loosing weight I see them going red purple again where
They was white for ages. I'm so scared of getting more then I already have.
Anybody looking at me would think I have children, dreading my body after that happens!!
What do I do, no point having a fit slim body I'm too scared and embarrassed to show :(
Atm I'll only wear shorts in my garden in the summer but should I just think
Fk it and go out in public, other ppl might have them, might give them confidence
To do same as me or some may have the fk it attitude already?!?

Replies

• hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If your losing weight I cant see why they are changing colour, I dont hink they should be, Ive got enough of my own and the color has never changed since they went skin tone.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    *hugs* It's only because your body is shrinking that they're becoming more prominent. They will fade back once the toning starts...
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    bio oil helped me with my stretch marks it fades them like 10 times faster....you can only see mine sometimes, if you look for them and i have some pretty wide ones like half an inch wide....there is not a single woman i know that doesn't have them and not all of them had kids... guys don't care either and if they do they aren't worth your time
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Most will fade with weight loss, in the mean time you can use cocoa butter on them. That will make them fade.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil has helped with mine. I also try to wear sunscreen, because I have noticed they will redden if you get too much sun. I DO still get a light tan, because I am outdoors frequently, but I always wear sunscreen and I think that helps.
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    they will fade.....I call mine my tiger stripes! I oil them and they do seem to be less visible
  • bmra222
    bmra222 Posts: 1
    Options
    Everybody has stretch marks. Even men get them. I seriously wouldn't worry about it. I have them from adolescence and no one has ever commented on them.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    moisturize and drink lots of water.... that and time will help the stretch marks.
  • kerr2010
    kerr2010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Try not to let them bother you. When I was pregnant I didn't get a single one until after I had my baby and started losing the weight quickly. Eventually they faded. I used bio oil which seemed to help. Try focusing on the fact that your body is becoming healthier.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    In the long run you will be happier being a normal weight and healthy with stretch marks than being unhealthy and fat with stretch marks.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    they go away with time(the color). I lost over 100lbs i have stretch marks. I see them as my battle wounds, to show how far I came and what I had to overcome.

What a great way to look at it. I've got them too, of course. They'll always be a reminder of what I will never ever do to myself again!
  • polly_lops
    polly_lops Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wheat germ oil will help apparently - my friend says it's a cheaper alternative to bio oil.

They are just part of life though and they show that you've lived. Everyone I know has them - it's very rare to come across anyone who doesn't have them.

If they are really bad, there are procedures you can have done but they are costly, painful and not 100% guaranteed to work.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i developed Varicose veins at 16 because i had to work two jobs to support my mom and dad. yep those veins that older people get, darker purple... *sigh*
    90+ percent of people have stretchmarks just from puberty.
    and according to the article i read its actully better to treat them while purple vs white. when they are white you have less of a chance of treating it.
    try working on your confidence.
    there are things that i dont like about myself that i have grown to accept.
    i have been able to do this by working with people who have much worse disfigurements. a few are large birthmarks, Eczema, Rosacea (covering much of the body). missing limbs/ facial features. etc.
    be thankfull for what you do have. and dont let anyone else tell you what is beautiful.

"Stretch marks affect as many as 90% of all women, she says, and they are not easy to get rid of. Once they have passed the initial stage, when they are red or purple, to the later stages, where they become white or silver -- often with deep indentations -- they are much more challenging to treat.She recommends moisturizing three or four times a day with products that contain cocoa butter or shea butter as a prime ingredient. Massage the moisturizer deep into breasts, belly, hips, and buttocks."

Wheat germ oil: There is not much scientific data on whether home remedies for stretch marks, such as wheat germ oil, can help. One recent study did find it helped improve stretch marks in their early phase.

Glycolic acid: Widely touted for its rejuvenation powers, glycolic acid is a sugar cane derivative and a member of the alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) family. It most likely works on stretch marks by increasing collagen production, says Baumann. Glycolic acid can also be administered in higher doses by a dermatologist. Treatment typically costs around $100 and requires three or four office visits before results will appear.

Vitamin C: Certain formulations of vitamin C, which have become increasingly popular as over-the-counter brands, may also increase collagen production and help early-stage stretch marks, says Baumann. For maximum effect, combine with glycolic acid. Vitamin C supplements may also be effective. She suggests 500 milligrams three times a day.

Peptide-containing products: Peptide-containing products, which are widely marketed as effective "repair" creams, are a waste of time and money, Baumann says. Despite commercial claims, there is no convincing data that these work.

Retinoids: A family of products that includes vitamin A, retinoids have been shown to be fairly effective in increasing collagen and elastic production during the early stages. Retinoids should be avoided entirely if pregnant or nursing. Retinol, tretinoin, and the prescription medications Retin-A, Renova, Tazorac, and Differin are examples of retinoids.

Glycolic acid and retinoids: Using these together may provide better results. According to Elsaie, while glycolic acid alone for stretch mark treatment has not been fully studied, a trial comparing glycolic acid plus tretinoin with glycolic acid plus vitamin C both showed equal improvement and increased elastic in stretch marks after 12 weeks of daily application. Various prescription-strength retinoids are often applied as a preparation to "rev up" the skin before a glycolic acid peel is applied.

Laser treatment: This popular treatment option is used by many dermatologists, and they are also being tried on white stretch marks, as well.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks too and I've never had kids, not on my belly but on the sides of my boobs, thighs (like my horrendous cellulite wasn't cruel enough of Nature! :laugh: ), hips, bum... even my fella has them along the bottom of his back from when he grew about a foot in a year as a teen.

Stretch marks are a fact of life, I'm not saying you'll ever feel comfortable with them, but see if something like Bio-Oil helps, and above all else concentrate on how much you have achieved and know you have done a GREAT thing for yourself!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • feedingonrose
    Options
    I think most people who bare their stretch marks have the F* it attitude. I dont really have confidence to think they look great, and i used to cover myself up..but yeah F it they're going to be there and theyll fade with time so i wear shorts and tanks (i have them on the top and back of my shoulders as well) and bikinis.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I call my stomach Freddy Kreuger Face. I make a homemade body scrub out of my used coffee grinds. Just leave the grinds out to dry completely and then add some coarse Sea Salt. In the shower add your favorite liquid body soap to make a paste and scrub away.SCRUB! lol then rinse well and use a natural moisturizer like Grapeseed oil in the summer and Coconut oil in the winter. Shea Butter works well too. If my skin is really dry or I am having a special night with the Mr. I will put the oil in the grinds and scrub it into my dry skin before the shower. It makes a horrible mess but is well worth the end result. The Caffeine plumps up my skin,the scrub makes me look shiney and glowing,the scrub makes me super soft. Skip the oil and use a sunless tanner and you will barely see them. Good luck and feel free to add me,I need more friends!
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 30. Most of the people I know are 30 or older.... and they ALL have stretch marks. Some are newer, some have been there since puberty, but I literally don't know a single person who doesn't have any. They're not a big deal.
  • 2LoveEnnisMccall6
    Options
    Lovely replies everyone, thanks! Should I apply anything to the fat white/silver stretchmarks?
  • 2LoveEnnisMccall6
    Options
    They are a big deal to me because I dont know anyone with stretchmarks apart from myself.
  • SassetG
    SassetG Posts: 19
    Options
    I have stretch marks, Its so much more common than you think. In a classroom of 17 girls, during a discussion we found out that every single person (except one 18 year old) had some variation of stretch marks. I hope you dont feel embarrassed by them