How did YOU do it???

Options
2»

Replies

• scott_lester
    scott_lester Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I only needed to lose about 30 lbs, so it doesnt drop off as fast for me. The first thing i done was started using MFP!!! I was exercising, but nothing was really coming off the first two weeks. The first week I used MFP, I lost 2.5 lbs and continue to do so every week!! I actually lost 3.4 last week! Also I joined a fitness class with some people from work where we meet Tuesdays and Thursdays in the gym and do 1 hour of different cardio, strength training, running etc....) I go Wednesdays to a 30 minute ab workout. Im about to start going to more classes.

But when people say to eat right and exercise, that is the BEST way to lose weight. Sure its not going to fall off, it takes work. Ive been at it for 5 weeks and lost 11 lbs! Im super happy with that! I eat around 1400-1600 calories a day that consists of whole wheat/grain products like bread and cereal. I eat lots of fish, steamed veggies, yogurt, etc.... Also watch your portion sizes. When I go out to eat, I used to get the biggest plate that I could, but now I get a healthy fish plate.

Once I reach my goal weight, I will bump my calories up to 2000 to maintain that weight and continue to go to the gym. Remember, its not a diet, its a lifestyle change!
  • sweetgirl83
    Options
    I started just walking. The first day, I went @ 1/2mi and wanted to die. Gradually added time, now I even jog a little. Cleaned up my diet. No sugary drinks, fast food or very much white stuff. I did not give up anything I couldn't live w/o (chocolate-yum). I didn't do insane workouts that I couldn't keep up forever. I do cardio 5 days a week and lift 3 days (not heavy, too old for that).Planning what I eat is key for me. Seeing the calories in print really helped, too. Had a huge plateau at one time. I found out I was kidding myself about how much food I was eating. Mfp really helped w/ that. Got a heart rate monitor, to be more sure of calories burned. Wish there was a magic bullet, but is is just hard work & dedication. Good luck in your journey

What type of hrm do you have? And is it accurate?
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Also, I've come to realize that eyeballing my food and guestimating leads to eating far more calories than I intend. I'm now weighing and measuring everything, and it seems to be paying off.
  • honestykay
    honestykay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well I started at 140 only needing to lose 15 lbs and I'm halfway there in only 2 months. I eat 1200 calories a day. The best exercise I say is in home gym. I love P90X, Chalean Extreme, Turbo Fire, Brazilian Buttlift. Pretty much any workout for Beachbody. They have the good combination of cardio and strength training. For diet I cut out any liquid but water and zero calorie drinks. I try to eat 3 types of milk product a day, high in fiber items, and fruits and veggies,low fat items and low calorie items. Good Luck!!!!!!!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    HW:250
    SW:203
    CW:183
    GW:165 (or what ever feels best--will reevaluate when I get there)
    I am 5'7" and pretty muscular (used to power lift).
    I lost the first 47 with a combo for cardio (elliptical and walking) and circuit traiing. Then I stopped losing...and was working out everyday, somedays twice. A friend referred me to MFP (THANK YOU MICHELLE), and I started tracking calories and found (like so many other people here) that I was eating WAY more than I thought. (How else do you burn over a pound a week in exercise and GAIN weight, right?). I lost another 20 pounds since Feb. My calories are set at 1450 for the day, but I generally eat about 2000 (yes, I exercise that much). I HATE not being able to eat what I want, so I do, and then I burn it off. When I try to keep my caloires lower, I stop losing, so for me it a fine line. It's hard. I want to eat ice cream every day in the summer, but that size 12 getting big is keeping me on track. Last month I added running, and I'm up to about 3 miles at a shot. The running is changing how my legs look for sure--they are not as thick with muscle (or fat over muscle) as they have been in the past.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi I would like to know how you lost your weight how many calories were you eating and what was your workout routine. I have been trying for months but I just stay the same.

1200 calories per day here, did not eat back exercise calories for the first two or three months, then only went into them by 50 to 100.

My exercise was running three times per week and sometimes cycled to and from work.

It took me just over six months to lose 30lbs, I never plateaued.

OP ensure you log absolutely everything and don't guess at calories in food and drink, many people seriously underestimate calories consumed. Watch you don't overestimate calories burned either.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Super high intensity intervals really help me! I also try to change up my workouts frequently. For instance, if I'm at the gym for more than 30 minutes, I try to change up my workouts based on predetermined time-frames.
  • suefrasson
    Options
    Wow, 25 lbs...that is great!
    I have only lost 8 lbs. this month,,,1200 calorie diet,,,circuit train once a week, and walk incline on treadmill 30 mins once a week
    I am so frustrated with how slow this is going
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I don't know how I did it.......no, really......because I can't seem to do it anymore. :( Not just the plan but the motivation.....not sure HOW I did it or WHY I've lost the motivation to give it that 110 percent that takes it off....I'm giving 97 percent but seem to lack that extra "umph" to keep it going. It's frutrating but I've not given up.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Wow, 25 lbs...that is great!
    I have only lost 8 lbs. this month,,,1200 calorie diet,,,circuit train once a week, and walk incline on treadmill 30 mins once a week
    I am so frustrated with how slow this is going

8lbs in one months is phenomenally good, seriously, that is excellent!
  • jennpasic
    jennpasic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    5'4"
    SW: 170 (Feb 1, 2012)
    CW: 142
    GW: 125-130
    Calories: 1500, but recently switched to 1200+ some exercise calories
    Routine: Treadmill/elliptical for 6-8 hours/week

I hit a plateau at 148lb and stayed there for about a month. The way I finally broke out was by switching up my routine. I bought a groupon for a bunch of fitness classes at a local club, and I tried everything from spinning to zumba to an intense strength training/cardio class. That finally broke me out of my rut and got me losing again.

Now I'm incorporating 2 days of strength/circuit training into my routine; I plan to do more strength training as I get closer to my goal. I hope this helps--and good work so far!
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Dropped calories mainly by eliminating snacks and fast food. Lost nearly 15 lbs in 5 weeks with very little exercise.

I eat about 1400 - 1600 a day.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Started MFP in early April of this year and was at 200lbs and I weighed in today at 172.6.

I started at 1200 calories and am currently at 1350. I started with just walking about 4 miles most days and now I am on Week 9 of C25K program.

So for me - running and paying attention to what I eat.
  • momto1g1b
    momto1g1b Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 20 lbs total, most before mfp, though I dropped the weight much faster once I started logging my food here. My diary is public, but to sum it up I calculated my military test body fat % on the fit2fatradio.com website, used that to calculate my BMR (on the same website) and added 200 to that number, and that is my daily calorie goal. There is a really awesome discussion on mfp that describes all of this, here is the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/567092--read-this-figuring-out-your-calorie-goals

I go to Zumba for an hour twice a week and 5 days a week I go for a 20 minute walk and I do a workout from bodyrock.tv (my favorite way to work out - they are short, but very intense). Every once in a while I'll do a yoga dvd too. Other than that I do my best to eat food that supports my training (my fave and most filling part of lunch or supper is usually half of a medium sized yam/sweet potato). I do eat carbs (usually whole wheat or ancient grains bread), and most nights I'll have my snack (protein shake and toast with peanut butter) around 10:30pm.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i don't count calories, i just count carbs. i stay under 20 a day.
    try and do 30 mins of yoga or pilates or something a day.
    planned cheat days help a lot.
  • Annafly3
    Annafly3 Posts: 63
    Options
    bump
  • kadyjackson
    kadyjackson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For 5 months I have been on the 1200cal net goal.... I usually eat about 1500cal a day but I always make sure to work out for the extra 300 cal if not more. I started out with small workouts...I was going the wii fit. Then I moved up to zumba on my wii I did zumba on easy for 20min every night, pretty soon i moved up to 40min a night and before I knew it I was on expert for 40 min a night. In the middle of my zumba progression I had a friend convinced me to do a 5K. We got the couch to 5k app on our phones. We stuck with it every day you start out walking a min the jogging like 30sec pretty minor but those first days I thought I would die! Now I run 4 to 5 miles every night it is amazing what you can accomplish when you put your mind to it!
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    SW: 198
    CW: 166
    BF%: 13

I started running (my home-grown version of C25K) about a year and a half ago. I was running about 3x per week, about 2-3 miles. I decided to up my distance and increase the number of times I was running to prepare for running 5Ks competitively. This took a lot of the weight off. However, at the beginning of 2012, I started reading more about nutrition and eating healthier, as well as logging everything in MFP. I set my calories at 1,700 to start, and then upped them to 1,900 - but this was all based on the fact I was running 15-20 miles per week. I also started lifting weights 2-3 times per week.

I now try to keep my calories right at 2,000, but eat more protein and will up intake for longer runs.

Somebody mentioned using a measuring tape and NSVs for charting your progress. I highly recommend this - as you will see the scale go up when you start exercising, and it can be frustrating. If you start reducing clothing size, then you are leaning up and your effort is paying off. Another GREAT measuring mechanism is body fat %, using calipers. Most personal trainers and some physicians have these. You can do some estimations using tape measures, but they are not as accurate as calipers or underwater/submersion weighing.

Don't get upset over plateaus, they will happen. When they do, change up what you are eating, how much you are exercising, and what you do for exercise. This is where HIIT (high-intensity interval training) can benefit greatly by shocking your body into confusion. A good exercise combo session can leave you burning calories for up to 48 hours after the activity. You will come back off that plateau at some point.

Lastly, if you go too low on calories, your body may store those calories as it may sense that it is in starvation mode. Don't forget that you have a typical BMR (basal metabolic rate) which is the amount of calories you will burn just to live. Any additional burn on top of that just helps your net.

Good luck!!!

Greg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!