Couch to 5k in 6 Weeks!

Options
I'm new to this "fitness pal", but I thought an online forum for motivation and feedback would keep me in the zone. As a person who has never, ever been a "runner" (with the exception of in middle/high school sports)..I've always dreamed of becoming a runner, someone who actually enjoys going, going & going. I was on Pinterest, and saw a blog about a beginner runners guide that eases you into a 5k over two weeks. The first two days of the training schedule gave me hope, it was walking!! I have always loved to be outdoorsy--hiking, biking, walking my dogs. I'm on Day 3, and although I have to push myself...I want to continue & accomplish something! Any feedback from you guys in similar situations would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• johnsummerton
    johnsummerton Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I did it a year ago took 2 tries but boy when you make it fantastic feeling:laugh:
  • cherrydrop_amy
    Options
    I was in your exact situation not too long ago but you will be amazed about how quickly you will improve!

3 months ago I could barely run 5k without getting all hot and breathless and now I'm up to 10! So don't get yourself down thinking you are really unfit because every runner starts the exact same way :)
  • RenVan
    RenVan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I've completed the first 2 weeks although it's taken me almost 4 to complete them. I'm a shift worker so it's sometimes hard to fit it in but I have found new motivation to complete the program.
    I was contemplating signing up for a 5 K race. This morning, I opened up my work email and read that my co-worker has been diagnosed with advanced breast cancer. She has a very long and difficult road ahead of her. I'm no longer contemplating, I've signed up for the "Rock N' Roll Climb of Hope 5K Run/Walk" in support of the Alberta Cancer and Cross Cancer Institutes and I am entering as a Runner! I'm running for a lovely woman who means a great deal to a lot of people. She is facing cancer with grace and determination, I can certainly face a 5 K race in her honor!

Feel free to add me as a friend, we'll support each other on our learn to run journey!

R
  • lofolland
    lofolland Posts: 3
    Options
    thank you! i'm on "Day 3"..I feel accomplished, just to overcome it mentally and get my butt to the gym!!
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    I'm starting couch to 5k this next week too...feel free to add me. I have a rebuilt ankle so I'm not sure I can be a long distance runner, but I figure I can get in good enough shape to run three miles. So I'm going to give it a go. Feel free to add me, I'm here most days logging my stuff and saying "hi."
  • rosiecotton24
    rosiecotton24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this "fitness pal", but I thought an online forum for motivation and feedback would keep me in the zone. As a person who has never, ever been a "runner" (with the exception of in middle/high school sports)..I've always dreamed of becoming a runner, someone who actually enjoys going, going & going. I was on Pinterest, and saw a blog about a beginner runners guide that eases you into a 5k over two weeks. The first two days of the training schedule gave me hope, it was walking!! I have always loved to be outdoorsy--hiking, biking, walking my dogs. I'm on Day 3, and although I have to push myself...I want to continue & accomplish something! Any feedback from you guys in similar situations would be greatly appreciated

I have thought about trying it but haven't yet. I'm just going to have to do it!!
  • OmiePooh
    OmiePooh Posts: 6
    Options
    Hello!
    Not sure if you have an iPhone, but I have an app called "Get Running" that helps build up your endurance thru a run/walk sequence. After nine weeks, you should be running 30 mins continuously.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I started a Couch-to-5K program on March 20th. Today, I ran 10 kilometres!

It's amazing how quickly it builds!
  • CharliSue
    CharliSue Posts: 81
    Options
    Hello!
    Not sure if you have an iPhone, but I have an app called "Get Running" that helps build up your endurance thru a run/walk sequence. After nine weeks, you should be running 30 mins continuously.

Nice! I need an iphone. :-)
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I did C25K in january, tomorrow i do my first 10K race
    Go for it :bigsmile:
  • januadiaboli
    januadiaboli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I started a couple of weeks ago, but am progressing slowly due to tendinitis in both Achilles. :( Ive never been much of a runner, but am certainly making progress thus far. Feel free to add me, too!
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    We have C25K group here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Lots of tips and helpful threads. I'm starting Week 4 on Monday. Feel free to add me.
  • chrissyd2218
    chrissyd2218 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have just started couch to 5k! The one I found was 7 weeks I think. I'm hoping I will be able to speed up the process, but I can tell I'm very out of shape! Good job to you!