How to encourage without being offensive

Options
Okay, so my childhood has never been a small girl. She is very beautiful and a great person but over the years she has let herself go. She went to see her doctor and her recommended a weight loss drug. I do understand that she needed some help to get the weight off but I'm having a hard time getting her to track what she 's eating and regular exercise. Working out once a week is not going to get her anywhere. She's lost about 25lbs in 3 months which is great but we all know there is No Magic Pill. I don't want the pills to stop working and she go back to her old weight. We all know its hard to lose weight but you've gotta start somewhere. I don't want to hurt her feelings b/c I too have tried a lot of things to drop the pounds but it's time to get real. What do you suggest???

Replies

• majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would encourage her in the course she's on, since it seems to be working for her, at least for now. If/when that changes and she voices frustration, then you can make other suggestions. Otherwise, I think she's going to feel you aren't supporting her. JMHO...
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to baby her feelings. Put it to her strait and brutally honest. But only do so if you have evidence to support your claim. If a doctor put her on these drugs there is possibly a good reason - as I don't think doctors get any kind of reward for issuing them.

tl;dr: ignore feelings - embrace truth.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    say nothing. she will do it her way, when she is ready. just be there to support her decisions. unless she SPECIFICALLY asks you for advice, i would keep my mouth shut.