Can Exercise Cause Weight Gain?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
Started doing running on the treadmill and elliptical since last weekend, having cycled most days before that, with nothing else.
I seem to be gaining weight from this and I don't know why. I am up 2 Ibs since starting, and it is really frustrating me.
I have not upped my calorie intake, and track my burn using a hrm. Although I had a few bad days during the week, I had plenty of bad days when cycling and the weight always dropped back down with no issue. I have not had this happen before, and have no idea what to do about it.

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Started doing running on the treadmill and elliptical since last weekend, having cycled most days before that, with nothing else.
    I seem to be gaining weight from this and I don't know why. I am up 2 Ibs since starting, and it is really frustrating me.
    I have not upped my calorie intake, and track my burn using a hrm. Although I had a few bad days during the week, I had plenty of bad days when cycling and the weight always dropped back down with no issue. I have not had this happen before, and have no idea what to do about it.

OP are you running everyday? If so, you may find the gain is due to fluid around your muscles, ensure you have cardio restdays otherwise that fluid can never dissipate.

I know that if I go out for a longer than normal run, I swell up quite a lot immediately after and for much of the next day.
  • graelwyn
    Options

OP are you running everyday? If so, you may find the gain is due to fluid around your muscles, ensure you have cardio restdays otherwise that fluid can never dissipate.

I know that if I go out for a longer than normal run, I swell up quite a lot immediately after and for much of the next day.

I pretty much jumped right in and did 40 mins the first day, and did it everyday except one. I have sort of been at the gym everyday other than today when I did some cycling, either elliptical for 40-60 minutes or treadmill jogging/running for 30-60 mins or a combination of both. I have not had a day doing no exercise in about a week now. Everything feels kind of heavy, especially the area around my abdominals. It is totally flummoxing me as my weight was pretty steady when cycling daily, even if I cycled for hours at a time. I don't understand why switching to elliptical and running and some kettlebells should cause a gain.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

I pretty much jumped right in and did 40 mins the first day, and did it everyday except one. I have sort of been at the gym everyday other than today when I did some cycling, either elliptical for 40-60 minutes or treadmill jogging/running for 30-60 mins or a combination of both. I have not had a day doing no exercise in about a week now.

You are swollen up and the weight gain is not fat, but fluid in that case I would bet. If you took a rest day (or two), that fluid will go away and your weight will have gone back to what it was.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Your muscles retain water. Just keep exercising but give yourself a couple days a week for your muscles to repair.
  • graelwyn
    Options

I pretty much jumped right in and did 40 mins the first day, and did it everyday except one. I have sort of been at the gym everyday other than today when I did some cycling, either elliptical for 40-60 minutes or treadmill jogging/running for 30-60 mins or a combination of both. I have not had a day doing no exercise in about a week now.

You are swollen up and the weight gain is not fat, but fluid in that case I would bet. If you took a rest day (or two), that fluid will go away and your weight will have gone back to what it was.

Thanks, shall try a rest day. I only did 40 mins of cycling today, but my weight jumped up another .4 Ibs and I hadn't even eaten anything much in the day. It has only been less than a week of doing this running and elliptical, I had not anticipated gaining weight from it so it has left me a bit peed off.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You gained weight but unless you overate 3500 calories it can't be fat.
  • zendarpc
    zendarpc Posts: 1
    Options
    building muscle mite cause wt gain to but its not about the scale its about the fitness
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    hmmm I did not know this Thanks:ohwell: :noway:
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I think its water from your muscles being swollen. I would stick to your normal cardio if your still trying to drop weight.
  • ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    Options

[/quote

^^THIS^^
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I've noticed "extra" weight loss if I don't exercise for a few days. It seems that vigorous exercise causes some slight water retention to the tune of a couple lbs.

Be careful not to overestimate your exercise calories. If you do, and eat them back, then it won't be water. :sad:
  • graelwyn
    Options
    I've noticed "extra" weight loss if I don't exercise for a few days. It seems that vigorous exercise causes some slight water retention to the tune of a couple lbs.

Be careful not to overestimate your exercise calories. If you do, and eat them back, then it won't be water. :sad:

I eat at my TDEE so don't eat exercise calories anyway. I am on around 2100-2200 calories since I burn at least 400 in exercise most days. In fact, I am eating less than I did when just doing cycling. I had imagined if anything my weight would go down if I swapped the cycling for jogging/running and elliptical but it has done the opposite.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind- if you do a lot of cardio type exercises, you muscles will retain glycogen as well as water to use as fuel for your next cardio session. Random days off should keep your body guessing and not retain as much
  • junepinktigger
    junepinktigger Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    on the scales you will have a gain as muscle weighs more than fat. i have been doing spinning and i have gained but i have done inch loss. you should keep a record of measurements, x
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options

In another thread here, someone posted this link for an article about the "gained weight" at the beginning of a workout program. Read it and it will help you understand what your body is doing. It is really a great article.

Gaining is not "actually" gaining-
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-rea
  • graelwyn
    Options

In another thread here, someone posted this link for an article about the "gained weight" at the beginning of a workout program. Read it and it will help you understand what your body is doing. It is really a great article.

Gaining is not "actually" gaining-
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-rea

Thanks, I shall look into that.
    I have cut my calorie intake anyway, just in case as this has somewhat panicked me. I hate it when my body does unexpected things, and I am now over my goal of 126 and sort of afraid the scale will just keep shifting up and up everyday. I guess I shall have to have a day where I just walk a little and nothing heavy and see if that helps at all. I have noticed also since starting this changed regime, my belly has felt awfully bloated and I have become slightly bunged up.
  • DBB07
    DBB07 Posts: 40
    Options
    When I first started doing heavy squats, my weight went up 3.7 lbs. within the next two days, even though my macros and water intake remained steady. The muscles were very sore (hamstrings, quads) which, of course, are among the body's largest muscles. After a few days, including an off day that Sunday, my weight dropped below the original weight by 2.5 lbs. on Monday.