Ladies only, I have a personal question.

Options

Replies

• lornaheron
    lornaheron Posts: 72
    Options
    I don't have a problem with my work out i do weights, bike and step. It's the cravings the week before i have a problem with..I've cut out all the rubbish that used to comfort me at such times, like chocolate, biscuits and cakes. So now it's nuts and dried fruit, doesn't have the same effect. lol
  • lyricalLies13
    Options
    I do my same workout, I just feel more sluggish than normal.
  • carriecarrot
    carriecarrot Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Are you on birth control? I had terrible cramps every month. They were so bad that I stayed in bed during my TOM. But after I went on birth control my TOM has been a lot shorter and painless and overall much easier to manage. Every girl is different though.
  • epixed
    epixed Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I get really bad craps too. To the point of passing out sometimes. My doctor recommended taking 1 aleve in the morning for the first two days with hot water bottles as needed. I find this helps a lot. Also, massaging my lower stomach seems to help. Sometimes what's causing the cramps is free clots. Massaging helps them to evacuate.
  • RainyDayKelli
    RainyDayKelli Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This month I just took a rest day, mostly because my workout of choice is swimming and it was a heavy flow day and I didn't want to traumatize any little kids if there was an incident. I also have a day that i am just exhausted and starving, which happened to be the same day this month. I've heard yoga is good, I am just so big that swimming is the most comfortable thing for me to do right now.
  • ovosprincess
    Options
    I normally take day one off, and just go for a relaxing walk instead. I did start jogging last year, in addition to my other workouts, and I find that has actually helped lessen cramps overall. I think if you listen to your body, you'll be golden!
  • stephalvarez5
    stephalvarez5 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i do exactly the same thing. but do yourself a favor and hide the scale & measuring tape until about 3 days after you're "done" otherwise the water weight gain will really mess with your head. i had to learn the hard way. i get pretty bad cramps as well, but i just take midol, or motrin, drink almost twice the amount of water (to TRY and flush water weight) and running actually helps the cramps go away. it's clinically proven. here's part of an article i read it from

"Real relief from period pain seems to come from vigorous exercise, the kind that gets you breathing hard and your heart pumping fast. When that happens, your body releases endorphins that help counteract the cramp-producing chemicals that are part of the menstrual cycle"
    .s.
  • ediesmommy
    ediesmommy Posts: 76
    Options
    I've found that just walking has helped my TOM be shorter and less intense...
  • ovosprincess
    Options
    i do exactly the same thing. but do yourself a favor and hide the scale & measuring tape until about 3 days after you're "done" otherwise the water weight gain will really mess with your head. i had to learn the hard way. i get pretty bad cramps as well, but i just take midol, or motrin, drink almost twice the amount of water (to TRY and flush water weight) and running actually helps the cramps go away. it's clinically proven. here's part of an article i read it from

"Real relief from period pain seems to come from vigorous exercise, the kind that gets you breathing hard and your heart pumping fast. When that happens, your body releases endorphins that help counteract the cramp-producing chemicals that are part of the menstrual cycle"
    .s.

I TOTALLY agree about the scale and the tape measure! I never listen and always work myself up into a frenzy over it! :sad:
  • Jesiena
    Jesiena Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I avoid anything processed, caffeine, and alcohol. Plus drink lots of water. Normally if I follow that, exercising doesn't bother me. If I start with yoga and then move into cardio, that certainly helps. Well it helps me at least.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I also have endometriosis, and have other pain issues, so I cannot wear tampons. So, between the cramps and the pads, I sometimes don't even want to walk the dogs. Just hurts to move my legs. If I'm not in pain, then I try to go about my regular routine. Unfortunately, because of my particular issues, my periods are really unpredictable, so I just have to go with the flow, as it were. :) I think yoga might help with the general discomfort sometimes, but they do say there are some moves you should avoid if you're pregnant, so I would suspect those same moves might cause either pain or flow increase during TOM.

Don't beat yourself up if you need more rest. It's just one of those things that comes with life.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    Walking/running helps my cramps so I do try to get that in. I definately plan more rest time in my day, more sleep if I can get it.
  • Jessastar
    Jessastar Posts: 234
    Options

.s.

UGH. I get so devastated when I see I gained like, 10lbs on my TOM. It's so weird not weighing my self on it because I usually weigh in everyday :/!!!!! Guess I should hide it though like you said. :/
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    When I have Lady days I continue with my regular exercise. But I also allow myself some goodies, like today I had hot chocolate with whipped cream :smile:
  • TerraLea
    TerraLea Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Walking helps. I can't do much other than walking. Try taking Mydol or Ibuprofen before TaeBo & see if that helps.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i take something for the cramps and i do my regular workouts. i think it actually helps me to workout when i am on it. it makes me less crampy and bloated. it is damn hard to get motivated the first day though.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I've never had any issues. I just work out like normal.
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I workout the same. I just do the treadmill, however.

Yoga can be good, but I know you aren't supposed to do some positions while you're on your period. Not sure if you were going to take a class or just do it at home. :)
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    Doing hot yoga makes it SO much better! I love it...the stretching eases pain, as does the heat. It just makes everything nice...and working out, then taking a hot shower to loosen up the cramps down there does wonders <3
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    my workouts dont change. if im super lazy or tired i just walk my dog. yoga is great for the back pain