Eggs & Cheese questions!

Options
ZiezieO
ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
I am being very cautious and changing my diet because of cholesterol.
I don't consume many things that even have cholesterol in them...... except I LOVE EGGS and I'm from Wisconsin and CHEESE is on everything!!!

When ever I go to score my foods that I've eaten, it seems that eggs makes the daily limit (300) go away with 2 eggs...

I know there is GOOD and BAD cholesterol, but I need help figuring out if what I'm eating is actually bad - I mean, 2 scrambled eggs shouldn't give me a heart attack... I try to go with egg whites, but sometimes my bf makes me breakfast and he doesn't believe that the yolks are bad for you, but good....

I need some myths busted or proved!

What is the truth about eggs?
what is the truth about cheese?

Replies

• Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Source: With Mayo Clinic cardiologist - Thomas Behrenbeck, M.D., Ph.D.

Chicken eggs are high in cholesterol, and a diet high in cholesterol can contribute to high blood cholesterol levels. However, how much the cholesterol in your diet can increase your blood cholesterol varies from person to person. Although eating too many eggs can increase your cholesterol, eating four egg yolks or fewer on a weekly basis hasn't been found to increase your risk of heart disease.

When deciding whether to include eggs in your diet, consider the recommended daily limits on cholesterol in your food:

If you are healthy, it's recommended that you limit your dietary cholesterol to less than 300 milligrams (mg) a day.
    If you have cardiovascular disease, diabetes or a high low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") blood cholesterol level, you should limit your dietary cholesterol to less than 200 mg a day.
    One large egg has about 186 mg of cholesterol — all of which is found in the yolk. Therefore, if you eat an egg on a given day, it's important to limit other sources of cholesterol for the rest of that day. Consider substituting servings of vegetables for servings of meat, or avoid high-fat dairy products for that day.

If you like eggs but don't want the extra cholesterol, use only the egg whites. Egg whites contain no cholesterol. You may also use cholesterol-free egg substitutes, which are made with egg whites.:heart:
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    The egg myth was busted a long time ago now - cholesterol is a complex thing, it depends on whether it's high density lipoprotein or low density lipoprotein. Eggs are good sources of protein and now not thought to cause an increase in 'bad' cholesterol.

I buy free range organic, and then we're all happy :)
  • DBB07
    DBB07 Posts: 40
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol doesn't equal serum cholesterol for the overwhelming majority of people-- that's ancient "science." It's part of the discredited lipid hypothesis. I eat cheese and eggs every single day. Although I'm not a big believer in N=1 anecdotes, my cholesterol profile is excellent and so is my blood pressure.

Here is a link to a 2006 article published by Harvard Medical School. http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/egg-nutrition
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Cheese isn't totally bad...you can have cheese as long as its a moderate amount, and the rest of your day is really low in Cholesterol. I buy the Reduced fat, and it tastes the same.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about the myths about eggs. I love them. I can't live without cheese. I usually only have scrambled eggs on the weekends though. I have cereal during the week. Maybe you should just try having them on the weekend if you are worried about them?
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Personally, I could not give up cheese. When I'm alone, I have cheese almost every day. I try to keep it to just once a day but sometimes it's with every meal. When my husband is home, I don't have it as frequently because I'm not making quick things just for me.

Eggs I go through phases with. There are days where I have a 1 or 2 eggs for breakfast - usually in a sandwich but then I won't touch them for months.

Neither cheese or eggs have hurt my progress but my levels of Cholesterol and other various things have never been high. So, I would say if you like them and they aren't hurting your progress or putting you at elevated levels - have them...it's all what works best for you
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Like I said so many people think one thing and then other people says it's alright. MODERATION is KEY! righto!

But as far as cheese... I am wondering which ones are healthier... I don't really care for gorgonzola or feta... but I love goat cheese and colby
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Eggs are not bad.

Cheese is not bad.

Any doctor who keeps up with science will not have you avoid these products for cholesterol. That is old science, out of date, and proven to be pretty much worthless. I eat eggs for breakfast just about every other day, I have cheese daily, and eat meat all the time (not always red, but even chicken has it).

And my numbers have improved!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Eat your eggs as most people said above. There are so many good things in them.

As for cheese, eat full fat cheese. Reduced fat has more additives typically. Also, full fat tastes better! I love cabot brand cheese, the sharper and stinkier the better. I also love blue cheese.
  • Kryxx
    Kryxx Posts: 34
    Options
    Myths are called myths for a reason :P I eat tons of eggs, almost 3 a day minimum, and I had my cholesterol levels checked recently and its actually perfectly where it needs to be. And cheese is good natural fat, which is always good for your body.