calorie deficit while pregnant?

Options
2»

Replies

• Shannonsto
    Shannonsto Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    So glad they got you a different doctor. As a former labor nurse (and current NICU nurse), I've never heard of needing a c-section because of maternal weight. Sounds like a cut-happy doc to me.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Think about this, to lose weight you are not providing enough energy for your body, so it has to get smaller.

If you don't provide enough energy for yourself, you think you'll be providing enough for your baby?

This this this.

You should think about overall health and nutrition, not how to lose weight while pregnant!
  • KrispieKaos
    Options
    I would seek out a new OB. You have to be able to trust and talk to your OB. I was overweight with both of my pregnancies. My second I was almost 100 lbs when she was born. I delivered naturally. I would not be comfortable with an OB who is telling you that you need a c-section and you aren't even out of the safe zone. I would definitely contact a professional about a calorie deficit while pregnant.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    First and fore most if you think your doctor is a jerk than you really need to find a new doctor. You are trusting this person with your and your babies life you need to believe in them. That aside- I was "heavy" with all 3 of my boys and had no complications or problems delivering any of them vaginally. I don't know if you have other risks that would cause you to need a C-section but being overweight isn't enough reason for it. I gained about 100 lbs with my first, I ate whatever I wanted and as much as I wanted, my doctor did not say a thing to me about my weight gain and I was too young to know about proper weight gain. But with my 2nd I only gained 15 lbs and was fine and had a very healthy boy. My 3rd pregnancy I was very careful as I had been loosing weight and exercising and was really afraid of gaining a lot of weight. I was 240 lbs when I got pregnant and at my 6 week post baby check up I was 220 lbs. I only gained about 12 lbs through the entire pregnancy. I didn't drink any soda and ate very healthy and continued to exercise by walking as much as possible. I had some check ups where I lost wight and the doctor said that was ok as long as it didn't happen at every visit. So if I were you I would just listen to my body and eat when hungry and eat healthy. Exercise if you are now and just enjoy being pregnant. Do worry just let nature take it's course, women have been doing this forever. You'll be fine.
  • mariana0528
    Options
    Thanks for your great input. A fantastic thing about this blogs is that the info is there forever! I am about 40 pounds over a healthy weight and hoping for a pregnancy sign any day now...and I was starting to feel really anxious about all the numbers of pre eclampsia etc etc...Thank you for solid advice. I will make sure to gain no weight in the first trimester and then just about 10 or so for the last 2. Excellent advise on what to eat/not....thanks again! Mari