Knees

Options
I started my weight loss journey about a month ago... maybe a little more. I have lost just over 11 pounds and I am already feeling better. Chronic cough is gone, I stand taller, it doesn't kill my back as bad as it used to just to do dishes. But my knees are starting to hurt pretty bad. They hurt before, but now it almost hurts to walk on some days. What do I do?!?!

Replies

• stretch12d
    stretch12d Posts: 27
    Options
    Have you changed your workout routine, doing more exercises that are higher impact... or jogging or anything?

I recently started my working out after becoming disgustingly out of shape. I don't have a ton of weight to lose (ideally between 15-20lbs) - and was having major problems with my knees hurting & aching constantly, especially the day after I decided to put a little jogging into my 3 mile morning walk. I could barely walk the next day when I got out of bed. It gradually improved as the day went on, but still quite uncomforatble. So.... anyway, I spoke to a doctor friend (an orthopedic surgeon to be exact) & he told me it was probably a matter of being deconditioned, and to take 800mg of ibuprofen 3x/day and ice my knees after I work out. Now, I'm not trying to play doctor here, and maybe your situation is completely different than mine, but maybe check with your doctor and see if this would be a good place to start for you. It's working wonders for me, and hopefully in the next week or so, my knees will not be causing me such discomfort.

Good luck!
  • kariberi84
    kariberi84 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your workout routine, doing more exercises that are higher impact... or jogging or anything?

I recently started my working out after becoming disgustingly out of shape. I don't have a ton of weight to lose (ideally between 15-20lbs) - and was having major problems with my knees hurting & aching constantly, especially the day after I decided to put a little jogging into my 3 mile morning walk. I could barely walk the next day when I got out of bed. It gradually improved as the day went on, but still quite uncomforatble. So.... anyway, I spoke to a doctor friend (an orthopedic surgeon to be exact) & he told me it was probably a matter of being deconditioned, and to take 800mg of ibuprofen 3x/day and ice my knees after I work out. Now, I'm not trying to play doctor here, and maybe your situation is completely different than mine, but maybe check with your doctor and see if this would be a good place to start for you. It's working wonders for me, and hopefully in the next week or so, my knees will not be causing me such discomfort.

Good luck!

The only thing different I did was jump on a trampoline last weekend for 2 hours. That is probably what did it. I will try the motrin and ice. :)
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    With knees use RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) combined with anti-inflammatory painkillers like Motrin. If you're anything like me you'll be tempted to push through the pain or start working out again quickly, but don't.

Give it at least an extra day beyond when you think it's ready. I ignored this and ended up benched for six weeks, spending that month and a half doing recuperative exercises with a physiotherapist instead of working out. Maybe do some upper body strength training in the meantime.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have a good pair of shoes too. If you can, go to a running store to get fitted. It might be a splurge but well worth it. They'll watch you walk and determine which type of shoe is best for you. Worth every penny even if you just walk instead of run!:wink:
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I would check with an orthopedic doctor about your pain. It could be about over-extending your muscle tendons; but it could just as easily be about something else: "de-conditioning" as was mentioned in a previous post; a need for orthotics or different shoes, or something else entirely.

I'm about to make an appointment with an orthopedic doctor myself: twinges of pain shooting behind the knees and my left foot is not landing correctly when I take walks or hikes. I suspect it's matter of orthotic insoles for me; but we'll see :-/
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'd check with the doctor. You may have arthritis and it flared up after jumping on the trampolene.