for those of you who exercise to help anxiety/depression

Options
2»

Replies

• netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Rest day for me means not going to the gym. I can still go for a walk with the OH, or a bike ride through the forest etc. Loads of activity that doesn't have to feel like exercise.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think the term rest day should be abolished and recovery used in its stead.

The need for recovery depends entirely on the type and intensity of the exercise involved. There are runners who run 7 days a week but they mix up speed and distance of their workouts and one (or more) will be at very slow pace a.k.a. active recovery. (in fact there was an item in a recent edition of Runners World about a guy who had run at least a mile every day for well over 2 years).

If you're lifting weights you would either take days off (if you're doing full body workouts) or alternate upper/lower, arms etc because the exercise causes microtears in your muscles and it's the healing process that makes you stronger.

Back to the OP - if exercise is part of your therapy then do it 7 days a week, 365 days a year - just mix things up and take the occasional "active recovery" day (lower impact, lower intensity activities - walking, swimming etc). I know if I miss a day I'm not usually in my happy place.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    sorta looks like there is a consensus among those of us who tend toward the more anxious or depressed ends of the spectrum - taking an active recovery day seems to be what we've all independently converged upon. :)

i take walks between training days. when i'm really fit, i take short, slow runs on 'rest' days.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Agree with most, My rest day is today but we are heading to the nature trails at one of our local parks for a nice 5 mile hike. Slow paced just enjoying the outdoors kind of walk... That is as close as I get to a so called rest day..... lol...... Only real rest day for me is from weight training... I will put a rest day between workouts when I am combo training (Back and Biceps, Chest and Triceps, Legs and Shoulders, etc) or if a do 1 body party a day (Chest, Back, Arms, Shoulders, Legs) Mon-Fri then I will take the weekend off from weight training, just depends how I am cycling through my workouts but I do some form of cardio 7 days a week.... Best of Luck.....
  • Minkyboodle86
    Minkyboodle86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on what kind of exercises you're doing. Alternating between strength and cardio helps me since rest days make me anxious. I'd like to run every morning, but your body needs rest to heal so I do strength training or just try and keep as active as possible i.e; parking further away, taking the stairs, walking to places instead of driving, etc...that way I'm getting a little exercise, but not as intense as a 4mi run.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I was so lucky to slip on the stair and fall on my tailbone and fracture it. I haven´t been able to do much for 10 days now and if I take walks then few hours later I will be in terrible pain. This is driving me nuts, I need to be able to walk, bike or do something, it is so difficult for me to do nothing, not being able to sit for long, not being able to take walks....just standing there is driving me nuts...I´m getting bored and really annoyed.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Will defs try just walks, etc.
    Thankyou :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I usually only need hard exercise every other day... I can even stretch it out about three days, before I get stir crazy and need a "dose."