Losing while sad and anxious?

Options
My life is kind of a mess right now and I'm way up in my weight. I really wana lose but I'm struggling with anxiety/depression and it makes it so hard to workout. I have like no energy. I'm also an emotional EATER and when I get anxious/bored/depressed I just want to eat everything. I don't feel like myself being this heavy so I really WANT to lose it but its SO hard. Has anyone else here lost even though they are struggling in other areas of their life? I'm hoping to see it's possible and give me some hope.

Replies

• Mandi51
    Mandi51 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i am an emotional eater too. I find I always over eat when I am stressed. I just started a new job and it has been wrecking havoc on my diet.

Instead of eating I'm going to try to start working out.
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhhhh yeah, I hear you. I know this isn't what you're going to want to hear, but it's the truth.

WORK OUT ANYWAY. EAT RIGHT ANYWAY.

I can tell you from someone who literally cried every day on the way to the gym, and cried through almost every meal for a few weeks, that it really works. If you do it anyway, something amazing happens.

You feel better. You stop crying as much. You stop wanting to eat as much. You start wanting to work out more. Pretty soon, you're feeling like a beast on the way to the gym, and taking pictures of your healthy food to share with people because it tastes SO. D*MN. GOOD. and looks SO. D*MN. HEALTHY.

It really is the key. I didn't know how I was going to make it through, but I came up with a mantra that I use all the time when I am thinking about new workouts or trying to figure out how I am going to make it through a new food plan:

One hour becomes one day. Make it through, and one day becomes two. Two becomes a week, a week becomes a month, a month becomes 6...six months become a year. All you have to do to start is make it through the hour, by doing the next right thing.

You can do this. Feel free to add me as a friend if you need support. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i am exactly like that. it took a couple sessions of therapy and my best friend buying me a sports bra and promising me i'd use it to finally get back on the healthy living bandwagon. its really hard breaking out of the shame depression spiral we can sometimes get ourselves into. good luck to you, hopefully that light will click for you like it did for me (and yes its a daily struggle to not revert back to emotional eating)
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Therapy will probably help with the anxiety and depression, once you manage the emotions it's easier to manage your weight.
  • LoFoSho100
    LoFoSho100 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is like the story of my life... I get depressed and stressed about a situation in life... And then I eat to feel better.... Then I get stressed and depressed about what I ate... And then I eat more... And then I'm stressed and depressed because I gain weight. It is a vicious cycle. You just literally have to try and change the way you're thinking about EVERYTHING. Instead of saying, "My life sucks." Say, "This is where I am now and things are going to get better. I'm going to do _________ to make it happen!" Instead of thinking, "I'm fat." Say, "I'm going to eat healthy fruits and vegetables and lean meat to fuel my body. I can do it! I can do it! I can do it!" For someone who is generally so hard on themself (me), this is a big adjustment! I'm working on it. :-/
  • literaryshots
    literaryshots Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Been there!
    Yes, if you will stick to the changes keep working to replace the bad old habit (i.e. emotional eating) with a walk you will start to see the payoff and improved mood too. No, it won't always work and some days you'll fall into old habits, but if you don't feel better after a walk, run, swim, find a different exercise/action and be conscious of the change and choice.

And talk, find someone, here or elsewhere-that you can check in with when you struggle--support will help.

Hang in there.
  • LoriTatt
    LoriTatt Posts: 8
    Options
    Absolutely. I decided to finally focus on the "prize" instead of the "high/good feelings" i'd gotten from overeating all these past years. That was 4 mos. ago and I'm now down 22.5 lbs.

I always said I'd give anything to lose weight, but realized, finally, that I was lying to myself, because clearly I wasn't willing to give up my old eating habits. It finally came to a choice of putting my future health as more important than my immediate food desires. I started exercising instead of staying in bed watching TV and eating, in spite of my sadness and anxiety. Before long, I was feeling better and my relationship with food started to change. It's not easy at first, but you just have to find some sort of exercise you enjoy and then commit to doing it. Like a diabetic must take insulin, we must exercise. It's THAT important. It will get better eventually. Exercise is crazy good for your mind, spirit, and body!

Good luck.
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I agree with Awake_Alive. Wonderful post.

Use the sadness to propel you forward. Whatever it is in life that's getting you down, defy it. "I may be sad, but I sure am not going to let that keep me from my dreams, now, how can I plan my day, I WILL kick *kitten*!"

I also let negative comments by family and friends about my weight fuel me. They will have to eat my dust (as I run right past them so to speak lol).
  • elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've been going through a tough time in general over the last few years - I'm in a foreign country where I don't fit in, I work extremely hard, I started studying again and I'm in an intercultural marriage that takes a LOT of work.

All of this left me and still leaves me depressed and overwhelmed and I fix it by eating and/or drinking. There has been a change though... I was always too tired to do anything. When my husband wanted to do something I just said I'm too tired and went to bed. Now when I'm too tired I force myself to go and walk (not the gym or anything overwhelming). About 20 minutes in I already feel much better - I actually GET energy while expending energy. I sometimes still fall completely off the wagon with eating, but next day I try to be better, and the more I exercise (even if it is just walking), the more I get to 'legally' eat!

Don't be too hard on yourself. Just get up and go and take a walk in the fresh air. Pretty soon you are going to feel better.

All the best! You can do it!
  • Presley0381
    Options
    Ohhhhhhhhh yeah, I hear you. I know this isn't what you're going to want to hear, but it's the truth.

WORK OUT ANYWAY. EAT RIGHT ANYWAY.

I can tell you from someone who literally cried every day on the way to the gym, and cried through almost every meal for a few weeks, that it really works. If you do it anyway, something amazing happens.

You feel better. You stop crying as much. You stop wanting to eat as much. You start wanting to work out more. Pretty soon, you're feeling like a beast on the way to the gym, and taking pictures of your healthy food to share with people because it tastes SO. D*MN. GOOD. and looks SO. D*MN. HEALTHY.

It really is the key. I didn't know how I was going to make it through, but I came up with a mantra that I use all the time when I am thinking about new workouts or trying to figure out how I am going to make it through a new food plan:

One hour becomes one day. Make it through, and one day becomes two. Two becomes a week, a week becomes a month, a month becomes 6...six months become a year. All you have to do to start is make it through the hour, by doing the next right thing.

You can do this. Feel free to add me as a friend if you need support. GOOD LUCK!!!

^^^^THIS!!!! She took the words right out of my mouth! Please feel free to add me as well!! Just being here and getting to know so many people has helped me tremendously!!
  • jc86
    jc86 Posts: 151
    Options
    Wow you all are so inspiring. Thank you so much. I feel better already just reading the replies.
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I agree with the rest! So wise people! I didn´t try to change every thing all at once. I suffer from permanent depression- I´m bipolar- and I didn´t have the strength to change my intire life all at once. I started by not eating white bread. Sometimes I do, and that´s fine. Tomorrow I´ll be back on track. When I managed the bread thing, I ate a fruit with my breakfast every day (almost...) Do one thing at the time. I have dogs, so I agree with the walks. Just start somewhere realistic. As you feel better, you will increase it. And I did a really hard thing. I removed EVERYTHING from my home like candy, chips and so on. Some days I was a lion in a cage. But I lost weight. Not much to begin with, but steady. You can do this!!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I agree with the rest! So wise people! I didn´t try to change every thing all at once. I suffer from permanent depression- I´m bipolar- and I didn´t have the strength to change my intire life all at once. I started by not eating white bread. Sometimes I do, and that´s fine. Tomorrow I´ll be back on track. When I managed the bread thing, I ate a fruit with my breakfast every day (almost...) Do one thing at the time. I have dogs, so I agree with the walks. Just start somewhere realistic. As you feel better, you will increase it. And I did a really hard thing. I removed EVERYTHING from my home like candy, chips and so on. Some days I was a lion in a cage. But I lost weight. Not much to begin with, but steady. You can do this!!

Great advice, Lea! You rock!
  • DBBA21
    DBBA21 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    BUMP to read later
  • startinganewleaf
    Options
    im in the same boat. you just have to take each day as it comes and as for the over eating/binging problem, stop buying junk food. as soon as you enter the gym and complete the first workout youll feel so much more inclined to repeat it everyday. good luck and dont give up xx
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Hi
    When I started MFP January last year I was convinced it wouldn't work for me because of my anxiety/depression/potential bipolar II.
    I lost 26lbs!
    I've put some back on but that's because I lost sight of this site.

Whenever I needed to eat in the evenings I would log on to this website and read the supportive comments from everyone.
    I also bought as many carrots and healthy snacks as I could afford - which I know is not always easy, especially at the moment - but I made sure when I did HAVE to eat (outside of meals) it was healthy.
    Like others have said, I exercised even when I didn't think I could.
    A walk would turn into a faster walk or a run.
    A short swim would turn into half an hour.

I also told people I was trying to lose weight so that I was accountable and I made sure I used online support to help me.
    I supported others back and it has been brilliant.
    I'm back on track now and still feel the comfort food gives me but it's different now.
    If I fall off the wagon, I get back on with the help of this place.

Good Luck.
    Amanda
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    the last time it lasted for a month! gained ten pounds which didn't help. i ask myself what makes you feel better? running.....makes me feel better. when depression happens for me, its not about the weight loss it's about fixing my brain and the exercise fixes it!
  • Clarevmb
    Clarevmb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think you've had loads of excellent advice here emotional eating etc is so common.
    Change things bit by bit, have a goal of going for a 20-30 min walk and cutting out unhealthy snacks or
    something similar for the first week, that's enough.
    The main thing is try your best to do it! The tiredness you get from depression/stress is totally different to
    the tiredness you get from a good work out - you will feel much better and hopefully sleep better.
    Similarly, if you don't manage your weekly (or daily) target don't beat yourself up about it! Look calmly and analytically
    why you didn't make it and try to make changes to fit it in eg get up 1/2 hr earlier to go for a walk.

The main thing is to stay positive, ok didn't get my 20 min walk in today but I can do 45 tomorrow.
    Likewise I didn't loose weight this week but I wasn't very committed at least I didn't put on etc

Train yourself to THINK POSITIVE!!!
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I have felt the same way you have...

The worst thing about it is that I almost had to die to make me realize that a healthier way of life can actually help me emotionally cope better...
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm taking it one step at a time. I've been diagnosed with depression but the psychiatrist I saw doesn't want me medicated unless there's no other option so I've had my orders to get myself out and about, get myself moving and get using my brain instead of sitting around doing nothing and feeling more and more sorry for myself. Not that he quite put it that way but that's what it boiled down to.

So...first step was getting out and about even though I didn't feel like it. And I mean REALLY didn't feel like it. It's been 3 months now and although I still have to make myself go out each day I have noticed I feel a hell of a lot better for doing so, even if it's just a walk with the dog, and a hell of lot worse on the odd days I don't go out.

2nd step for me was switching from fizzy drinks to water. I'm not a huge water fan but it's been about 10 days now and I'm already seeing a huge improvement in my skin. And I feel better in general. My headaches have gone away for one thing.

3rd step is getting on top of what I'm eating and how much I'm eating. Now I'm sure some would have this as the first step but for me the getting out of the house and exercising was the main thing as a lot of my problems stem from being stuck at home all the time due to being in a foreign country where I don't know anyone and don't really fit in to the community. I'd tried tackling the eating first but due to being so miserable it just wasn't happening. Now that I'm getting myself out and getting some exercise in I'm finding the whole food thing far easier than it was before.

There's also the matter of not giving up just coz I've messed up one day. I can't let myself slide back into the same rut just because I didn't make myself go out somewhere one day or because I had a bottle of mountain dew or ate over my calories. I take it one day at a time and each day is a new day where I can keep from making any mistakes I may have made previously. I won't say it's easy but I find it doable by taking one it day at a time.