about to go lift weights and was wondering...

Options
Should I lift the 15 pound weights or the 30? I haven't had a chance to buy that Heavy Lifting for Women book but I am interested in it.

I don't want to lift the danty 5lb weights thats for sure.. I would like to build some muscle but I have heard that while I'm loosing my weight I should lift low weights with a lot of reps to help burn the fat and then lift heavy when I get to my goal weight to help tone and maintain..

I love doing my cardio but I also want to be able to get on the ground and do some push ups..

So what I'm asking is.. should I lift light with a lot of reps (I have a lot of fat on my arms) or lift heavy with only a few reps to help build up my muscle..

*edit* and if anyone can understand what I'm trying to say here I will be amazed.. talking is NOT my thing haha

Replies

• mmurelli
    mmurelli Posts: 26
    Options
    low weight high reps
  • FlittyGetsFit
    Options
    Lifting heavy is all relative to your own strength. I often feel like a complete wimp using my 2.5 - 5lb dumbells, but I have no strength at all and they are heavy for me! It's only taken 2 workouts to increase weight for some of my exercises, so I'm making progress. As long as you are challenging yourself, then the actual number doesn't matter. :)

I tend to go "heavy" with few reps, I find I feel like I've really worked!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    low weight high reps
    This is best for most situations. I agree, go with the lighter weight, and lift it more times. Unless you want to get bulky...
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It should be work! So heavy weight. I am doing New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women and it is important that it feels like work. Otherwise, what's the point?
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    In NROL the emphasize heavy weights. In the first stage you start out with 3 sets of 15. Use the heaviest weight you can in order to make it through all 3 sets. If the weight feels too light in the first set, increase in the 2nd set. Etc...
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    lol the 15 pounds will be work cuz I can only do maybe 5 reps before my arms start shaking
  • HotMamaByVday
    Options
    low weight high reps
    This is best for most situations. I agree, go with the lighter weight, and lift it more times. Unless you want to get bulky...

So not true! You will not get bulky. I hate this myth.
  • HotMamaByVday
    Options
    Can you move up to 20 instead of 30?
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options

no I only have 10, 15, and 30 pound dumbells but I can probably pick up some 20lbs weights tomorrow after work
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    low weight high reps

So not true! You will not get bulky. I hate this myth.

I agree. Women don`t bulk up like men. They don`t have the hormones to do so.

to do so
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    low weight high reps

^^ Not true...at all. You will not get bulky from lifting heavy. =/ Lift as heavy as you can. If you make it to 12 reps and could go for more reps then bump up the weight.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options

no I only have 10, 15, and 30 pound dumbells but I can probably pick up some 20lbs weights tomorrow after work
    If you can do the 30 then I say definitely go for it. I make progress by at least trying a higher weight almost every workout. If I can only get out 1 or 2 reps, then I will do that along with my reps with the weight I can manage 8-12. Doing that every time, you should start to improve on reps and eventually be able to move up again.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Always better to go heavier if you want any visible results. When you are first starting, you should not go too heavy as your tendons and ligaments adapt more slowly than your muscles, so pick up a weight that is heavy enough that you can't do more than 10-12 reps for the first couple of weeks, then drop the reps and increase the weight. High reps, low weight is antiquated advice for anyone...waste of time. You can get the cardio effect lifting heavy weights and keeping rest periods short...30s-1:30.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Different exercises should require you use both. I'll give you some examples of my own lifts;

Chest Flyes; 17.5kg
    Hammer Curls; 20kg
    Tricep Raise (single arm): 15kg
    ^ 3 different dumbbell exercises.

Also, you can't get bulky unless you have some kind of hormonal imbalance that means you'll have more testosterone than a man. A male intentionally looking to put on muscle will be doing well on 1-2lbs a MONTH. Women have around 1/16th the testosterone of men.

A lot of women confuse muscle swell, which is water and nutrition being pumped into the muscle for repair, with instant growth. Don't make that mistake and get scared off :)

The generally accepted rep ranges are;
    5-6 reps to failure - strength and fat loss
    8-12 reps to failure - muscle size
    15+ - muscular endurance

And finally; heavy is subjective. Your heavy is different to my heavy, you know?
  • matt_h76
    matt_h76 Posts: 39
    Options
    As most have said here you need to lift heavy with low reps. You need to aim to lift as much as is comfortable where you are able to lift a maximum of 10 to 12 reps, ideally 6 - 8 reps (no more) before reaching muscle failure.

As most have mentioned, it is a complete myth that lifting heavy makes a woman bulk up. You actually get a perfect physique. Women don't have the hormones to bulk up. Even men find I very difficult to bulk up. Do definitely read the New Rules Of Lifting For Women.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    In NROL the emphasize heavy weights. In the first stage you start out with 3 sets of 15. Use the heaviest weight you can in order to make it through all 3 sets. If the weight feels too light in the first set, increase in the 2nd set. Etc...

this
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Lift as heavy as you can. You get better results in less time than you can go do something else.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    low weight high reps

^^ Not true...at all. You will not get bulky from lifting heavy. =/ Lift as heavy as you can. If you make it to 12 reps and could go for more reps then bump up the weight.

Bulk requires testosterone. Most women don't have as much as men, therefore, not as much bulky muscles. Also, the fat on your arms won't go away with weight lifting. To think you need to adjust your weights just for the fat on your arms sounds suspiciously like 'spot reduction". The fat goes away with calorie burn and OVERALL fat/weight loss. The weight lifting strengthens and eventually builds muscle. As fat is burned away, muscle is more easily visible. Example, everybody has six pack abs, it's just that some people have a layer of fat on top, and the muscles aren't strong. Lose fat, get strong, and abs improve.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    low weight high reps
    Incorrect. Doesn't help with strength or increasing RMR. Does help with building muscular endurance but doesn't enhance the physical look of muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy as you can up to 8 reps for most exercises.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition