Low Carb and LOVING IT!!!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    To people that say it is hard to stay under 50 (or whatever other number) grams of carbs. Remember that you have to subtract fiber from your carb count. Most of the green veggies (well, anything non-starchy) have tons of fiber, so when you log them in your MFP diary, look at the Fiber and subtract it from your total carb count. So let's say you're eating 70 grams of carbs total, but 20 grams of them are fiber. Subtract it and you'll get only 50 grams of NET carbs. Fiber does not impact your blood sugar and has no caloric value.

There is a way to change your settings to show NET CARBS. Ask me if you want to know how, I'll show you.

Thank You, I have been forgetting to deduct my fiber from MFP I am not really over when I thought I was. I am writing you to find out how to set MFP to do this tracking net carbs.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    We've got a good Low Carb group going on MFP with a pretty informative discussion forum.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

Always great to have new members!
  • ericablu
    ericablu Posts: 12
    Options
    Another low carber that is AMAZED at how wonderful I feel eating this way (<20 carbs/daily for me!) and how much I don't miss eating rice/pasta/sweets etc. I was never able to stay on a diet for very long due to feeling unsatisfied and now I don't feel that way at all. I encourage everyone to give it a try if it's something they're interested in. I recommend "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes as an intro. And yes, you're going to feel crappy for a couple of days, but if you power through it gets better!
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Flax seed meal is my new favorite food!!! Well, I use it on all kinds of foods. You can batter almost anything with it. Roll your meat in egg wash and then in the flax seed meal and bake or fry in peanut oil (if it is pressed). It bakes nice a crisp. Add some spices or a ranch pack and add flavor. Mmmm I just fried me some green tomatoes in it last night. The say way I would meat and OMG its sooo yummy. You may have to add a little salt but I want to batter everything in it now!!! lol It has 0 net carbs!!!
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    So I'm doing an "official" low carb diet, I just avoid a lot of carbs because I get incredibly tired when I eat them (fall asleep for a few hours kind of tired) soI've cut most grains out. I'll still have rice sometimes to meet my calories if I do a lot of physical activity. I am toying with the idea of trying low carb to see how it works with my body. What I've done so far has been good!

I do have a question for you guys- do you count the carbs from veggies and/or fruit with your carbs or just carbs from grain sources? I saw someone post about subtracting fiber from carbs- is that how you keep lots of veggies in your diet while still maintaining a low carb goal or do you cut the amount of veggies you eat as well? I'm just curious because I eat a mainly vegetarian diet so I'm not sure how to balance the two.
  • TheyCallMeTaterSalad
    Options
    My FAVORITE is jalepeno poppers!

I also got some low carb mission tortillas that have really saved my life.

I got a little tired of just bacon and eggs so I can make breakfast tacos. I can make wraps with cheese and lunch meats. I use them as hamburger and hotdog buns. I LOVE MAKING fajitas with them too.

I eat a lot of meat now. Chicken and steak and pork chops and fish. Usually with green beans, asparagus, or broccoli. Salads are great for lunch :) I love Cesar salads.

I love the atkins shakes and desserts and some of the bars if i am in a hurry or i didnt have leftovers for lunch.

Love, love, love jalapeno poppers!!! I swear I could eat them all day long!
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    cheesy_blaste, if you're doing the "official" low carb diet (what diet is that, btw?), you should NOT be eating grains or rice. Why do you need them to meet your calorie intake? There are so many other choices that you can eat.
    And yes, you have to count carbs in everything: veggies, fruit, nuts, dairy (if you eat it). Everything, even gum.
    Flaxseed meal has carbs too.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    cheesy_blaste, if you're doing the "official" low carb diet (what diet is that, btw?), you should NOT be eating grains or rice. Why do you need them to meet your calorie intake? There are so many other choices that you can eat.
    And yes, you have to count carbs in everything: veggies, fruit, nuts, dairy (if you eat it). Everything, even gum.
    Flaxseed meal has carbs too.

oops, that was a typo, it should have been *not* doing an official low carb diet meaning I'm not consciously cutting carbs out of my diet, just trying to figure out what foods create a negative reaction (which seem to be high carb foods).
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I really wish I could stick with low carbs because I have a feeling I would lose weight faster. I tend to carry my weight around my stomach and I know I have some mild insulin issues. I tried low/moderate carbs of less than 100g three times now and each time I was very sick feeling and irritable by day three. The last time I made it to five days while eating about 80g net carbs and I almost passed out. Things went dark and I needed to lie down quickly. I mentioned this to my Dr and she said I probably can't handle a low carb diet. There was no explanation for it :grumble: I feel like I could lose more weight if I could handle it. I might need to have my gallbladder out soon and I may try again after that. I have a long history of medical issues so I am used to my body acting oddly. I am really surprised that I managed to lose so much weight with the issues I have!
  • stormyWI
    stormyWI Posts: 12
    Options
    he said something to the effect of "you can handle all the fat and grease of a burger, but the bun you cannot handle?!" I told him that my body does great with the grease, but the carbs/sugar in the bun just don't digest well. It all started 'cause I told him I think I am going to treat myself to a Wendy's double with cheese, no bun tomorrow....

Yum. That sounds good. Maybe I'll have that with lettuce leafs. Does anyone use those for making sandwiches?
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    he said something to the effect of "you can handle all the fat and grease of a burger, but the bun you cannot handle?!" I told him that my body does great with the grease, but the carbs/sugar in the bun just don't digest well. It all started 'cause I told him I think I am going to treat myself to a Wendy's double with cheese, no bun tomorrow....

Yum. That sounds good. Maybe I'll have that with lettuce leafs. Does anyone use those for making sandwiches?

Yes I use romaine lettuce especially good for BLT Sandwiches.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I used the Ragu because that is what I had at the time. There are probably some that are better

Make your own! So much better and healthier. cream, butter, parm cheese, salt, pepper, and parsley. Yummy!