2 Weeks and Already Losing Faith...

Options
Today starts my 3rd week...I lost 9 lbs the first week and NOTHING the 2nd. I found myself being bad already! My family got pizza and even though I wasn't hungry I ate a half a slice. My mother made some awesome rice and I ate 3 bowls of it! UGH!

How do you stay on track?

I want to exercise but my work schedule leaves me exhausted...

What can I do to make this work??

THANKS

PS-I like friends so feel free to friend me and join my journey :)

Replies

• wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Only person who can do this is you... you have to really want to stick to it.

1)forgive yourself, we all have bad days and cheat weeks
    2)Get back on the wagon every time you fall off in time for your next meal (not the next day)
    3) Plan the family meals ahead so that half a slice of pizza (Or if your me at least half a pizza) don't do that much damage
    4)Smile its hard its tough but if your patient the results will come

Good luck and keep your chin up!
  • MissyMastery
    MissyMastery Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Only person who can do this is you... you have to really want to stick to it.

1)forgive yourself, we all have bad days and cheat weeks
    2)Get back on the wagon every time you fall off in time for your next meal (not the next day)
    3) Plan the family meals ahead so that half a slice of pizza (Or if your me at least half a pizza) don't do that much damage
    4)Smile its hard its tough but if your patient the results will come

Good luck and keep your chin up!

:smile: Thanks! it's so hard but so worth it!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    to be at a reasonable weight and healthy is not an accident. if you are overweight, you didnt get that way in two weeks.

learning to be conscious of what food and how much your body needs to acheive your goal takes time and persistence.

set small reasonable goals and understand that weight fluctuates every day and getting on the scale everyday can be frustrating.

walking is one of the best things you can do for your mood, your weight loss and your health.

good luck.
  • sublimeluver
    Options
    I lost weight the first week too and the second and third week my scale didnt budge, i was getting discouraged and felt like i was doing something wrong, then on the third week the numbers started dropping like crazy! Also I upped my water intake and that made a difference I think. I just started a month ago and its so hard to stay on track but seeing the results keeps me motivated. Good luck to you. Also I have a hard time watching my family and coworkers eat junk that I would love to eat, instead of being envious i just think to myself they shouldn't be eating that way either and I am making healthy choices for my life.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I would try focusing on adding in as much good food as possible. When i have a stomach full of bananas or salad, it's a lot easier to avoid temptation.

As far as your work schedule leaving you exhausted, i used to be that way, but i have tons more energy now. Keep on your path, and the energy will increase as you go along. Keep in mind, certain foods lower your energy levels, like anything with a lot of fat. And that means most processed food, because it's usually all loaded with oil.

High energy foods:
    FRUIT!!!!

Low energy foods:
    anything processed
    anything with oil
    meats/dairy/animal products
    refined carbohydrates/sugar/flour
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Losing a lot of weight the first week and then nothing for a couple weeks is very common and very normal. The first week your body is in shock from the change in your diet and drops a ton of water weight. Then it starts to realize that this is what you're feeding it now and things begin to level off some.

A lot of people will disagree with me here, but this is the only life I have to live. Yes, I want to be thinner and healthier, but I refuse to give up a lot of the stuff that I enjoy. Feeling like I can't have M&M's or some cookies or whatever makes me very resentful and I tend to binge eat when this happens.

Go ahead and have a small slice of pizza - just log it. Go ahead and have some rice, but know that 1 cup is a serving size and try to stick with the one cup. If you go over, LOG IT. Learning about serving sizes and such is a key to being successful. Above all else, forgive yourself. Overeating is an addiction and it takes awhile for us all to adjust. Be patient and be kind to yourself.

Good Luck.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    For the work schedule...get up and workout before work. I know it's hard, believe me. I teach and during the school year it was a real scramble to workout. Finally I just had to start getting up a little earlier to do it. Now that school is out I keep to the same schedule so that in the fall I'll be on track.
  • ediblepotential
    Options
    It comes off with consistency. Your body is trying to adjust but it does it on its own time, not ours! ;) Keep the faith & continue the journey. It is so worth it!
  • elsaboyd
    elsaboyd Posts: 3
    Options
    :explode: :sad: I srarted then got sick just did not go back on Now i have gone back to gym but the sad thing was i lost i went down fron 8705 to 83 kg and put it all back if i count what i lost this week if i stuck to it i would have been 5- 7 kg down Nothing tastes so good to losse all that effort .I will start again
  • brokenwoman
    brokenwoman Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It is sometimes hard, but just remember everyday is a new day. It is sometimes hard for me also when I am at my parents and they offer some really good junk foods that I have not offered myself.

I also heard that denying yourself cravings can hurt you more than not denying yourself. Like the pizza, you didn't eat a whole slice, but you didn't deny yourself the pizza.

Also, maybe just going for a walk before or after work may help you, even if it is just around the block or on the treadmill.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think you need to take a step back and really think about this journey. It doesn't have to be one of denial. I ate a piece of calzone last night because I had room for it in my calories. A piece of pizza isn't bad as long as you can stop eating before you go over calories. Denying yourself will not help in the journey.

Lots of folks lose a lot of weight the first week or so, and then the weight loss slows. You didn't gain the weight overnight, and it's going to take time to come off. Instead of focusing on the numbers, focus on the journey to health. I promise you'll start seeing benefits of eating right. Things like your complexion will be better - even having a glow - and you'll have more energy. And, that energy will make you feel like moving more. A regular exercise routine is best, but remember that just moving more is going to help. Maybe take a flight of stairs you used to avoid. Stand up more. Leave the tv remote next to the tv. Go online and find some exercises you can do while sitting down. Do vertical pushups against the photo copier. Just move.

My biggest advise right now is take your measurements. My biggest regret is that I didn't before I started losing weight.
  • hgaspard83
    hgaspard83 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have been doing MFP for almost 2 months, I was still brestfedding , but I just stopped , so that means I can Dec my calories and start to be a little more restritive with my diet, I keep telling myself that it took 9 months to put 60 pounds on, I have lost 27 pounds after i had the baby , 6 pounds total with MFP, SO I think you just have to keep in the mind set that it is not over night and it will get better. AS for the working out I understand, I work 12 hour shift so its hard for me , usually I can go for a walk with the baby or do a DVD while he is sleeping. Good Luck !!! Keep It up !!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Today starts my 3rd week...I lost 9 lbs the first week and NOTHING the 2nd. I found myself being bad already! My family got pizza and even though I wasn't hungry I ate a half a slice. My mother made some awesome rice and I ate 3 bowls of it! UGH!

THANKS

PS-I like friends so feel free to friend me and join my journey :)

I didn't see the bottom part of your message about working out. In April, I switched from a 2nd shift job that I had worked for nearly 6 years to a job where the training requires me to work 7-3, 9-5, 10-6. Talk about switching up my entire life. I'm not used to being in bed before I would have gotten out of work at my old job. I do not like to workout at the gym when it is crowded, so during the training period I decided to take a break from the gym. I'm in maintenance and I've maintained my weight easily. I do see a difference in my body, but not in my weight.

That all being said, do something as easy as taking a walk. I know that work schedules can really wear us down - trust me, I know. But, take a walk. Or buy an at home DVD and do that when you get up or right before dinner.

Some people recommend adjusting to one thing at a time - basically, work on your "diet" for awhile and once you feel like you have a firm grasp on that, then add in exercise.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    If you're 2 weeks in and you're losing faith/giving up, then you're not ready and you don't want it enough. Blunt, but true..
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    As for exercise, just do it! I mean, just get up and go. Put your workout clothes on and tie up your sneakers and go! If you're not feeling better in ten minutes, then go sit on the couch. But I think you'll find that once you get started, the energy will follow!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you're 2 weeks in and you're losing faith/giving up, then you're not ready and you don't want it enough. Blunt, but true..
    Yup.

OP - you lost more your first week than I did in over 2 months.
  • pj12string
    pj12string Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Each and every day recommit to your health. This is a daily battle over the long haul. Remember the story of the turtle and the rabbit. Pace yourself but do it daily.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but this the truth. You have to have determination to do this. Find ways to fit some extra walking in, if you really think about it you can find ways. Log your food everyday . The scale will start moving again. Your 1st loss should be your motivation. Give a little time to adjust.
  • OhKelsey1
    OhKelsey1 Posts: 139
    Options
    Whoa! Slow down, there. For one, 9 pounds in a week is awesome! Second, weight loss isn't something that happens over night or even in a span of a week. You'll have ups and downs, but keep faith that if you're eating right and exercising, you'll get there. Also, a half a slice of pizza is nothing to feel that ashamed of! And rice isn't THAT bad for you (although I'm not sure what was added to it/how it was made). You'll have slip-ups, but those don't matter so much. As long as your calories stay steady in the LONG run, you'll be okay. Your body can adjust to getting too many calories for one day, but it's the habit of it that causes the weight gain.

How do you stay on track? Belive in the process and know that it WILL work, as long as you're on track. Believe equally that if you sneak snacks daily, it won't. Hold yourself accountable!

I want to exercise but my work schedule leaves me exhausted... That's a hard one. Losing weight is all about calorie deficit, but creating that deficit is easier with exercise, and you'll also build muscle. Is there any time you can fit in even a 10-20 minute workout? Maybe in the morning, before work?

What can I do to make this work? Don't give up right in the beginning. If you do, you'll NEVER get there. Keep at it, and forgive yourself for the slip-ups.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've been here a year and a half (but with a massive 8 month break), and I've only lost 20 pounds- it takes TIME, and it will take you time. I don't know what will keep you motivated, I think it's different for everyone. For me, it's because I want a healthy body (to recover from various injuries), I want to be fit enough to hike up a mountain, to be a positive role model for my students, and to have a body that doesn't hinder my yoga practice. It can be easy to forget why you want this, but try to remember!

For exercise, move more! This means walk to the grocery store, stand up while working, use the stairs- anything that gets you moving.