Eating before working out in morning

Options
Hey, all. I've been doing some googling but keep coming up with conflicting advice. If you exercise first thing in the morning, should you or should you not eat breakfast first? If yes, how long before you work out?

My issue is that I've been working out on an empty stomach for ages. Recently I've tried eating breakfast first but only about 15-20 mins before I start working out.

What do you do?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• lizitivity
    lizitivity Posts: 21
    Options
    Anyone have an opinion on this? Is working out on an empty stomach a bad thing in your opinion? Or is eating first important? If so, how long before? 30 mins or less/more?
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I usually just have protein shake for morning workouts and eat breakfast after. If I eat too much it slows me down.. but I am sure everyone is different.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat anything before your workout I don't know how you have energy to get through?
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You can eat post exercise...I have been told protein filled breakfast. I usually have a shake 20/30mins before a workout. But I know loads of people that might just have water or a coffee before a workout :) so many different opinions It really is finding out what works best for you
  • anwilson_83
    Options
    i dont know which your supposed to do,but if i do eat before it has to be at least an hour before or i get sick.
  • Denise_Valentine
    Denise_Valentine Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure if it's good or not to workout on an empty stomach or not. i used to do it all the time but as i got older i couldn't finish my workout without feeling sick. now i eat an apple or a yogurt about 10 minutes before and i don't feel sick anymore. eating too much before you workout will make you cramp up so i suggest something small if you feel hungry before your workout.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I eat 30-60 minutes prior and usually eat special K.

I say it depends on what you can handle, I get dry heaves working out on an empty stomach.
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I like to have a little something, like a protein shake or a protein bar, then go workout, it provides the nutrients your body needs after a long absence of food.

So if you can get a protein shake and half a banana would be ideal.

Hope this helps
  • crigsha
    crigsha Posts: 15
    Options
    If I train early, like today, I always eat before working out Generally 30 minutes to an hour before, and it's normally a banana and/or Peanut Butter on wholemeal toast. It's helps gives you fuel for your body. I used to go and train then come home and eat but I was getting tired and feeling sick after an hour as have not eaten.
    Plus eating first thing helps get you get a fast metabolism.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat anything before your workout I don't know how you have energy to get through?
    This. Fruit smoothies are great before a workout because they digest fast and dont weigh you down.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Even those who train in a "fasted" state at least consume 5-10g of BCAA's.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    OP I don't eat pre w/out (maybe a banana) but I do have a pre w/out drink - Craze- so that I have that kick, about 30 minutes pre w/out. Coffee is probably just as good though haha.

Russ
  • tcbutler
    tcbutler Posts: 146
    Options
    I usually have something small about an hour before I work out. My usual is a pice of whole wheat or whole grain toast with peanutbutter and honey and a tall glass(2 cups) of skim milk to go with it. I used to have two pieces of toast, but found that was a little too much. Once I cut down to one piece, I started feeling great during the workout.
  • wazzuteacher
    wazzuteacher Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Protein shake or a protein muffin is best for me when working out in the morning. If I eat a whole breakfast I feel like I am going to throw it up and I burp like crazy! Just go with something light to satisfy you temporarily.
  • tcbutler
    tcbutler Posts: 146
    Options
    If I train early, like today, I always eat before working out Generally 30 minutes to an hour before, and it's normally a banana and/or Peanut Butter on wholemeal toast. It's helps gives you fuel for your body. I used to go and train then come home and eat but I was getting tired and feeling sick after an hour as have not eaten.
    Plus eating first thing helps get you get a fast metabolism.

Haha! Great idea! I must have started typing my post as you were finishing yours.
  • batman12
    batman12 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    there was a study done recently in germany or somewhere like that where 26 men with about the same stats were tested for how many calories they burnt throughout a workout - one group consumed roughly 500 calories an hour before training, and the other consumed the 500 calories after training. the rest of their diets were kept completely the same throughout the day. caloric expenditure was tested via carbon dioxide monitoring. the group that consumed the breakfast before training actually showed that a higher amount of calories were burnt during and after training when compared to the no-breakfast group. i would cite the source of the study if i still had last month's publication, sorry. if i dont fuel up before a workout i can not train as hard, and i have noticed a good bit of muscle loss when i combine calorie-reduced diets with moderate/high intensity cardio on empty stomach/postworkout.
  • veryoutspoken
    veryoutspoken Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I usually eat a greek yogurt before then eat breakfast after . It works for me. but everyone is different. :smile:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I personally like to eat about an hour before a workout to give me that energy for a hard workout but the hour gap allows me to not get sick from workout out on a full stomach.

There is however no set rule about eating before or after a workout. Just see which one works for you better and go from there :)
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Personally I dont eat in the mornings before working out.... makes me feel a little sick. Think its down to personal preference really...
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted, as I get up very early and have no appetite. I down my 2 cups of coffee, and off I go. Usually eat about 30 mins after, or when I get my appetite back. No problems at all.....