Jogging/running for bigger people

Options
I'm going to start jogging but I've been a bit embarrassed for being bigger. I'm going really early in the morning. What's a good distance to start with? Have you stuck with running daily? thanks

Replies

• Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Imi 186 pounds I can do 2 miles easily after than i get tired. Id start with a mile maybe try the couch to 5 k program
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I suggest using a run training program like c25k. I was at least 40 pounds heavier than I am now when I started with c25k.
    I still run but not daily as I do some classes and other workouts. Good luck!
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Try starting with a couch to 5k, it starts off nice and slow so you don't get discouraged at first.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Celliott411
    Celliott411 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yeah the C25K program is great! It lets you slowly build up your endurance. Just make sure you've got good shoes/arch support because if not, shin splints might slow down your progress. And PLEASE don't be embarrassed! Nobody can think less of you getting out there and getting in shape!
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do make sure you start small - and don't feel bad if people of similar weight can run further than you. Weight could mean something completely different - 100lbs of muscle and 50lbs of fat is going to be able to run a lot further than 50lbs of muscle and 100lbs of fat.
  • davidhippo
    Options
    It's more getting into a routine than the distance at first IMO. Whatever distance you manage, just keep doing it over and over every day, you'll be surprised that soon it'll become easier and you'll be able to go further.
  • webdaughter
    webdaughter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am a big person....I just started the couch to 5k program and am finding that I can do it so that is very encourging to me. Check into that and see what you think!! I use a program on my phone called rundouble and it counts out the time that you run/walk for you and it makes it much eaiser to keep track.

Don't worry about what you look like...you are out there doing it and that is what counts. Who cares what people think, you are getting it done!!!
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I'm a big girl, too. Like, 300 pounds of big girl.

I really, really want to run, as well. I just can't stand C25K (I know it works for a lot of people, so no bashing there - it's just REALLY not for me!), so I found this:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50933/5K-Novice-Training-Program

Hal Higdon's 5-K Training Program is pretty awesome, in my opinion, and yep, that's what I'd do.

Also, I understand your running in the very early morning. I'm a very-late-night kinda girl myself, because I don't like the looks I get from people.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed on running if you're big. I run a lot and each time I see a big runner I'm more impressed / inspired rather than the fit runner who passes me up.
  • JoLar13
    JoLar13 Posts: 3
    Options
    Don't forget when people drive by, they are sitting on their butts and YOU are working out! Keep your head high and have a little fun with it!
  • blazingmissp
    blazingmissp Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Read the book "Run your butt off", very good way to start. It has a simple and very effective program.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    HA! I also go out early in the morning - I was over 200lb when I started running, and having never done ANY running before I started by going round my tiny block - about 200yrds.....

It almost killed me:laugh:

I did the same distance for a week, then edged it up a little at a time, keeping to the same distance for at least a week each time, then adding another 100-200yrds

There's been several stops and starts over the months, but it's been about 5 or 6months altogether and I now run 2.5 miles most days:heart:

Start with whatever you can manage, - the secret is to keep working at it so that you get to manage more:flowerforyou:
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Ok, i see you want to loose 135lbs so, I will assume you are fairly over weight. Running/jogging is not a good idea to start with, the impact on your joints can cause extra pain and soreness. Use an elliptical machine to get your heart use to a more rigorous exercise. Don't worry about distance or speed, just get your heart rate up and go with as much as you are comfortable with.

ps try and avoid using the quick add.
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Definately try the couch25k program. If you're not used to running it helps prevent injuries. When I started running, I just went at it and ran a few miles daily and ended up with a super painful knee injury. Start slowly, read up on the program and good luck :) Running is awesome!
  • mita2161
    mita2161 Posts: 20
    Options
    I started using 5k101 on my ipod (its free) and awesome. It helped me run and my husband just started it too and hes 6'6' and 360 pounds. He found it great.
  • Ketomaniac9
    Ketomaniac9 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i'm 400+ and I can only jog maybe 2 mins at most I just stick to walking for now.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Ok, i see you want to loose 135lbs so, I will assume you are fairly over weight. Running/jogging is not a good idea to start with, the impact on your joints can cause extra pain and soreness. Use an elliptical machine to get your heart use to a more rigorous exercise. Don't worry about distance or speed, just get your heart rate up and go with as much as you are comfortable with.

ps try and avoid using the quick add.

Only the OP knows their health/ fitness levels and personal circumstances - personally I just started running (my 200yrds!) and have never encountered any problems- no knee pain, no muscle pain to speak of, no back issues etc despite the fact that until I made it to 30mins/2miles I was still wearing my REALLY old trainers that were so totally unsuitable.

If you think you can do it - do it! just one minute of running is better than none You can do intervals with walking if you like. I found that the moment I started walking I could never motivate myself to run again, so I've just run.....
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I feel your embarrassment! I have been doing my running either late at night or super early in the morning. This past week I decided that I would start running around 6:30 in the morning for speed purposes (It's a little difficult to run with the flashlight on your phone guiding your way!). Well Saturday I woke up late and ended up running at 7:30. Needless to say there were a LOT of people out and about! Seriously though, I got more smiles and nods than I really would have imagined. And not once did I hear any negative comments!

As far as distance, run out as far as you can.... there is NO shame in taking a break and walking back!
  • itsme_timd
    itsme_timd Posts: 59
    Options
    I see a lot of people recommending the C25K program and I'm sure it works great for a lot of people. But some people are too out of shape or too big for even the C25K to be a good starting point. Jogging or running when you are really big plays hell on your joints. I'm 422 now, down from 465. I walk a lot, ride my stationary bike and hike. I've tried jogging but it's a bit too much of a pounding for me right now.

However I am building up stamina and muscle with my routines now that when I do drop more weight I believe it will factor in a lot when I start jogging.
  • StacyPervis
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed for doing something good for yourself. Those who you feel are looking at you are most likely the ones who need to be running too.
    My knees kill me so I walk at a jogging pace. Hope your knees will support running.