pills are so tempting...

Options
So I was just in the gym working out and this lady came in. Even though I was listening to my mp3 player and in the middle of strength training, she came over to tell me about some pill she's taking called "add-a-pex" (or something like that) and it makes you loose 1 pound a day. She knows someone who took it and lost 30 pounds in 30 days and that girl didn't follow the diet or the exercise plan so SHE is going to exercise and follow the diet plan so she's hoping to lose 40 pounds in a month and she has 120 pounds to lose so she'll hopefully be done loosing weight in 3 months. :indifferent: :yawn: :ohwell: (yes, I meant for that to be a run on sentence to show how fast she was talking) She also said you have to get it from a doctor and our insurance covers it (although she doesn't know that I'm not on our company's insurance...I'm on my husband's).

I would LOVE to lose 120 pounds in 3 months and finally be done with my weight loss battle but I know its not the right way to do it. 1) its not physically healthy for your body to change that much in that short of a time and 2) even if you lose all that weight, you haven't learned how to eat/exercise properly to maintain weight and keep it off so you'll probably gain it all back within a year.

But still....its so tempting......

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Quick fixes are always tempting...it's human nature to want what we want, and to want it RIGHT now with minimal effort. I've never been swayed by diet pills, only because I know that how you lose weight has to be something you can sustain long term, or that temporary fix becomes just that- a temporary fix.
  • Timothy2000
    Options
    If something sounds too good to be true then it probably is.
  • daybyday815
    Options
    If something sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

dude no kidding - i think the only way to be successful is to get and stay there mentally.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Adipex...been there done that. Quick loss = quick regain + extra on top of that.

Only good old fashioned nutritionally sounds eating + exersize = healthy permanent weight loss.

Avoid the temptation to take the 'easy' way...its never the right one.

PS...side effects suck. Still have heart trouble from phen phen.
  • SEG1985
    Options
    She's probably talking about Adipex which is a type of Phentermine.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I, too think they are tempting. But I have to keep reminding myself that my REAL goal is to be healthy and fit. And, being thin is just a nice benefit of that (realizing that thin is a relative term.) I also have to keep reminding myself that I'm trying to live a healthier lifestyle, which is a lifelong project. Dieting seems to suggest that there is a stopping point to the process, and THAT has always been my downfall. I get tired of dieting, so I go back to my old overindulgent, lazy ways...then I get fat again. I think the biggest issue is that diet pills seem to be marketed to get skinny fast. It's just not healthy..physically or emotionally.
  • jenniferhouck
    Options
    I have no problem keeping off the 75 pounds I have already lost because I took 5 years to do it. The last 15 hang around because I haven't been super-motivated, :blushing: and I fluctuate here and there. I have a wedding date of 9/11/11 :heart: , and I would like to be 110 pounds (I'm only 5'1') and not be so flabby. :tongue:

296300.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    If you want to know about this drug suggest yu check out this:

http://www.drugs.com/adipex.html

Suggest you get your medical advice about losing weight from your doctor, not from anyone else.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I too took them and lost 50 pounds in three months, then turned around and gained it all back. If your relying on the pills to do all the work, that is where the problem is. I don't think it's a bad thing to take supplements or medications to help you reach your goal when you are learning to eat right and exercise along with it. I would give anything to go back and do it again only with those things added in. As soon as I got off the meds I went right back to eating whatever whenever! That's what makes us fat. Controlling our food portions and getting exercise.....for the rest of our lives. However, we manage to do it!
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    tempting.. oh yes! lol.. i only have about 30 more lbs to lose and i would be done by the end of the month!! woo hoo!!
    but i like how you said you wont "learn" to maintain it. That is sooo true! I tried sooo many quick fixes and crash diets before and didnt stick to it. Doing it the right way took to long and to much effort. but you slowly but surely learn how to eat right... exercise and keep the weight off! this is where the saying
    "good things come to those who wait" comes into play perfectly =]
  • AprilKill
    AprilKill Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes, they work, tried them and they helped alot, make you not hungry at all but very jittery, i lost the weight but it came back

there not good at all, i love this site, it is very helpful and its coming off slowly but for sure to last
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would be wary of anyone walking up to me and trying to sell me something while I was working out! And maybe you can lose weight by taking a pill, but you can't get healthy. And what is your true goal...just to drop weight, or to be a fit and healthy person?
  • EllienLyla
    Options
    I'm tempted too, mostly I am tempted by Ali. but, I'm just to scared to follow through with it. Dang pills!! :explode:
  • lkharris
    Options
    Been there too - tried Xenidrine (ephedrine) at the advice of a trainer. It did work, and I didn't really have a lot of weight to lose - those last 10 that he wanted me to get rid of. BUT, it made me jittery, especially after eating. Just didn't like the side effects. And then all the news came out about how bad the stuff was....

That was years ago, and while there are times now that I'm up in weight again that I would love to go back and use the pills again, as all have stated here, the loss from them is not sustainable! Dang it! Only the old fashioned things work.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I'm tempted too, mostly I am tempted by Ali. but, I'm just to scared to follow through with it. Dang pills!! :explode:

I hear Alli gives you uncontrollable "leakage". Uh huh.... from your butt. :sick:
    THAT is enough to make me just try to eat right instead of risking butt leakage at work!!!!!!! :noway:
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    Does anyone else read this thread as an ad for weight loss drugs...it works...
  • mommy22
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with supplementation as long as you're informed, choose wisely and understand that you really need diet and exercise as well.