For the last time, I'm not on a diet!

Options
Merithyn
Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
There's a lady that I work with that makes it her business to check what everyone is eating and comment on it. I've mostly shrugged it off, until recently when she started judging my food with comments like, "Oh. You're eating that? I thought you were on a diet? How are you going to lose weight eating that?" :huh:

I'm going to lose weight by making sure that what I eat fits with the amount of exercise I do every day. I'm not on a diet; I've changed my eating and exercise habits. I never want to be on a diet again, so instead, I've changed my lifestyle.

I know my co-worker is a bit of an extreme, but she's not the only one to make comments on what and how much I eat. How do you handle people like this?

Replies

• MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have learned to ignore people and do what works best for me. My co-workers constantly comment, "Oh, you're on a diet." whenever food is catered to our office. I don't bother anymore to tell them it's not a diet. It is difficult for many to understand the difference.
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    "I'm going to lose weight by making sure that what I eat fits with the amount of exercise I do every day. I'm not on a diet; I've changed my eating and exercise habits. I never want to be on a diet again, so instead, I've changed my lifestyle."

That is all you have to tell them...if they don't get it, don't sweat it~~When they see you losing weight, they will come to you asking...HOW DID YOU DO IT? That is when you can remind them what you told them before...hahaha...gotta love it!!

GREAT JOB AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!! HAVE FUN!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 lbs and 10% body fat. They quit asking.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Heres how I handle it....I just dont care,why should I? They can blah blah blah all they want
  • jenniferlmartinez
    jenniferlmartinez Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like to eat healthy. At work i have some co-workers that say "gross your eating that" or "I wouldn't eat that" I simply remind them that they are being rude. I'm the one thats eating it not you. It drives me nuts. Sometimes I even tell them "Whats it to you and why do you care!"
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Her: "Oh. You're eating that? I thought you were on a diet? How are you going to lose weight eating that?"

You: "Magic."

Simple and elegant. ;)
  • beth_816
    beth_816 Posts: 19
    Options
    I don't spend a lot of time wondering or worrying what others are thinking about what I do or don't do.
    People ask me what I'm eating because I'm getting results and I look different. They ask because they want to know how I'm doing it.

If there was someone who was in my face with judgment about it? I'd simply ask them to stop.

I had a very well meaning. well informed friend who would (unasked) launch into a lecture when I would talk about my food choices--like choosing lowfat yogurt over full fat. I would end up feeling like I had to defend my choices which weren't that bad. Her lectures weren't even ABOUT me. They were more general rants. I finally just had to stop her one day and say I didn't want to talk with her about food anymore because I just end up feeling bad about myself. The real irony being--our philosophy wasn't that far off!

She stopped.

I mean really. If it's bothering so much you why don't you just tell her how you feel? I promise. If you tell her it makes you uncomfortable--she won't do it anymore.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I just let them think what they want. I hate calling it a diet too. As soon as I do that I fail. It's a lifestyle change for the long term and some people just can't see that far ahead. As long as you know what you're doing and you're happy then ignore them. They need to make themselves feel better by belittling you and that's their issue not yours. Don't let it get to you. Stay positive!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I like to eat healthy. At work i have some co-workers that say "gross your eating that" or "I wouldn't eat that" I simply remind them that they are being rude. I'm the one thats eating it not you. It drives me nuts. Sometimes I even tell them "Whats it to you and why do you care!"

Why do you let it get to you? Just smile and shrug. Or tell them it's delicious and ask if they've ever tried it.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It seems to me the argument is over the meaning of the word. Our diet is what we eat. Some people have lousy diets, some people are on healthy diets because they have good habits, some people are on fad or unsustainable diets and some people are on a diet they have made their own informed choice about. The last of these describes "I'm going to lose weight by making sure that what I eat fits with the amount of exercise I do every day. I'm not on a diet; I've changed my eating and exercise habits. I never want to be on a diet again, so instead, I've changed my lifestyle."
  • mollysonnotice
    Options
    Her: "Oh. You're eating that? I thought you were on a diet? How are you going to lose weight eating that?"

Simple and elegant. ;)

I agree. Shrug them off. You know your body and you know what to do. They obviously dont. Your coworker seems a bit nosy and eager to open her mouth. There's not much you can say to those people. Just show results. She'll have trouble speaking then ;)
  • Merithyn
    Options

Yeah, I get a lot of that, too. I had an avocado for lunch one day, and this co-worker scrunched her face up into a dirty look and said, "You're eating that?" Well, yes, yes, I am.

It's a regular occurrence from her if it's something she's never eaten (quite a lot in that category) or something she's never seen before (a lot in that category, too). Since she eats crap food and never anything new, you can imagine how it goes. She's been slapped down repeatedly, but it doesn't stop her. She's just one of those types of people.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options

Simple and elegant. ;)

This is brilliant, you should add a big s*t eating grin to go along with it.
  • Merithyn
    Options
    I mean really. If it's bothering so much you why don't you just tell her how you feel? I promise. If you tell her it makes you uncomfortable--she won't do it anymore.

Not true in this case, unfortunately. I've told her, other co-workers have told her, our boss has told her. It hasn't stopped. It's such a habit to her that she's pretty much incapable of NOT commenting.

We have taken to teasing her about it now, so at least she's aware that she's doing it now - and how rude we find it. Just hasn't stopped it.

But I was actually asking more of a general question than about this particular woman. It's annoying as heck hearing this from anyone, and this co-worker isn't the only one who says stuff like that. So I was wondering how others handled it.
  • bjorksig
    bjorksig Posts: 3
    Options
    I tell people that I have been reevaluating my eating habits to feel better. I'm learning to love what I eat and eat what makes me truly feel good. Weight loss is just a bonus!
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I saw some coworkers for the first time after my6 months of Mfp and exercising. As I reached for a cheese Danish, one woman who was previously thinner than me and had been asking about my weight loss said, "can I look like you if I eat like that?". I said, "sure, if you're willing to sweat it off." funny how everyone grimaced then.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Tell them you're on a magic weightloss pill to shut them up.
  • Merithyn
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. You've been very helpful. :smile:
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    Crystal Meth
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    tell her to stuff it!! thats rude!!