weight training

Options
So I'm looking through these topics and people keep saying that weight training is just as important as cardio (if not more). Are the machines at the gym the same as free weights? Because I can do the adductor/tricep pulls/ab machine etc no problem, but I have absolutely no clue where to even begin with free weights. Are they really necessary or are the machines ok? Because I'm considering investing in an hour with a trainer to get an idea of how to use the weights.

Replies

• IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Using free weights allows you to engage stabilizer muscles that aren't necessarily worked using machines.

While there is nothing wrong with using machines, I do believe you will get more out of free weights.
  • louised88
    louised88 Posts: 159
    Options
    Oh ok, good to know. I'll try the machines for a while (they face the free weights area so I can have a sneaky look and see what other people are doing, lol. I seriously have no clue, I've never used them before) and then give the weights a go. Thanks for your reply!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    You can always try reading New Rules of Lifting for Women, http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women
  • matt_h76
    matt_h76 Posts: 39
    Options
    Using free weights allows you to engage stabilizer muscles that aren't necessarily worked using machines.

While there is nothing wrong with using machines, I do believe you will get more out of free weights.

Completely agree. You will always get a lot more from free weights as they activate more muscles as mentioned. But machines are a good place to begin if you've never done free weight lifting before. When you are comfortable and know which exercises you want to try have a go with the free weights or try a bit of both until you feel confident enough to move solely to free weights. Free weights in my personal opinion are also much more enjoyable. As mentioned, The New Rules Of Lifting For Women book is well recommended and very popular. Good luck with it all :)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    You can always try reading New Rules of Lifting for Women, http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women

great place to start.

The only machines I use are the back row and pull down. The rest I use barbell and free weights.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    In summary -

Machines:
    The good - Provide a form of resistance training and is certainly better for you than 14 consecutive hours of Starcraft or "The Bachelor" . Many machines are great for complimenting your free weight routine. Calf raises is a great example.
    The bad - Fixed plane of motion, Isolated to major muscles thus contributing to overall strength imbalances, Ergonomics geared toward average build

Free Weights:
    The good - Hit more muscles at a time, Ancillary muscles must participate in the lifts, greater range of motion to build balance and work around injuries or limitations, greater availability in the gym, cheaper and more portable than most machines.
    The bad - Require more technique to use, visually intimidating for some people, require more planning and knowledge of a greater variety of exercises if a spotter is not available; for example, using dumbbells instead of barbells on bench press.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Can you ask a trainer at your gym? Not as far as getting sessions, but most good gyms will have people who can show you how to use the equipment - after all, they don't want injuries. If might even be worth one or two official sessions with a trainer to give you the confidence to use the free weights.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I believe free weights are better, but my gym sucks and I can't afford a better one, so until I stumble upon a cheap set on Craigslist, I'm sticking to the machines. Very happy with my results. :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/474504-seven-months-of-admittedly-inconsistent-strength-training (an old post, but still shows results)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    The amount of knowledge required to get started on free weights is not really that much. A read through 'Starting Strength' by mark rippetoe will get you in the right direction.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If your gym has cable machines try them out. They allow a bit more freedom of movement than the regular Nautilus machines. I am just getting back into lifting and use those for some things and free weights for others.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I started with New Rules of Lifting, but I had a knee injury and couldn't do all of the moves, so I switched to StrongLifts 5x5 and liked that better, there are groups for both here on MFP.

I did hire a trainer to check my form, at first I just got 5 sessions with him to make sure my form was good and that I knew what I was doing.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • louised88
    louised88 Posts: 159
    Options
    Awesome guys, thanks for all your advice! I'll read those links first, and then try out the free weights, and maybe one session with a trainer to see if my form is ok.Thank you so much!
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    i think its best if you start by lifting dumbbells if you don't have one click the link below http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com/
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The amount of knowledge required to get started on free weights is not really that much. A read through 'Starting Strength' by mark rippetoe will get you in the right direction.

It's a very good and detailed read. Something like 60 pages on squats alone? Now I'm all paranoid about every little nuance.

OP: if you can, read the books, watch the videos, hire a good trainer to ensure form, and record yourself if possible so you can check form as well.