Fitbit

Options
I started counting steps witha a pedometer because of work. Our company joined the GCC (Global Corporate Challenge) to get us to move more. I love it. However, the pedometers we got suck. They fall easily and I dont think they are accurate at all. I also want a pedometer to track speed and distance. I keep seeing the fitbit online and seems good but want opinions from those who have it. Especially being 100$ I want to be 100% sure before buying...

Thoughts and comments?

Replies

• LadyB05
    LadyB05 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, I don't wanna pay $100 and it not be worth it.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    Good question, I would like to hear more about this fitbit.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I started counting steps witha a pedometer because of work. Our company joined the GCC (Global Corporate Challenge) to get us to move more. I love it. However, the pedometers we got suck. They fall easily and I dont think they are accurate at all. I also want a pedometer to track speed and distance. I keep seeing the fitbit online and seems good but want opinions from those who have it. Especially being 100$ I want to be 100% sure before buying...

Thoughts and comments?
  • shareajones
    shareajones Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love love love my fitbit, best $100 I have spent, I am lost without it. Having it on and being able to see my progress throughout the day is a good motivator and it makes me challenge myself to do more. I say go for it!
  • verapamil
    verapamil Posts: 94
    Options
    I got one last week and so far I love it. It's great for figuring just how much you do (or dont) walk. I have had some issues dealing with driving/riding in a car and having it count the bumps as steps and flights of stairs but I emailed the company and they gave me some suggestions on different places to wear it so it's less bumpy and more stable (on my hip instead of on my bra for example) and also I can go in and manually enter the times I was driving and it will cancel out those calories and flights of stairs. It also gives you daily and weekly goals and now if I don't climb 10 flights of stairs (default daily setting), I feel the need to go and climb my stairs just so I can meet my goal.

Also, my experience so far with the company has been great. I emailed them late Friday night and fully expected not to hear anything till next week (cause of the weekend) but they actually had emailed me today.

edit: I agree with the above poster. Even though I've only had it for a week, I would feel lost without it.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have been using my fitbit daily for 3 months and I like it a lot. It does a pretty good job with steps taken, stairs, and distance. It will not give anything about speed or heart rate. I wear mine daily and don't take it off unless I am charging it. It does not take the place of a HRM and I use one in addiiton for my actual workouts because the fitbit does not do a good job with weightlifting, running and swimming. If you just plan to walk, it would be good. It will give you amount of calories burned, but it is usually much lower than what my HRM says for workouts. I do use it to determine how much I burn in a day because it works well with the MFP interface. I am glad I have mine as an additional tool.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit! It has shown me that I am more active than I give myself credit for. I do all of my logging on MFP.
  • svetz
    svetz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Get the Fitbit. It's amazing. I love mine and am never without it. I like that it also tracks how well I sleep, since I don't get much of that! It is an awesome device though. Small and discreet, tracks steps, calories burned, mileage walked, stairs climbed, has a stop watch function, and also has encouraging memos. So worth the money. Also it automatically sync's with MFP, so its super easy to use!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    My first week...I hated it.

It does not come with printed instructions and some of the features are not exactly intuitive.

Work through it.

I take my fitbit everywhere now and it was well worth the investment.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research and finally bought it. I've had it about a week and I love it. While reading reviews, I found that people complained of it not tracking your steps properly. 1. It tracks mine perfectly. I can watch the numbers move as I walk. 2. Everyone's stride is different. If you're tall or short, you can calibrate your steps, so Fitbit calculates correctly.

It also does so much more than a pedometer. I love it.
  • verapamil
    verapamil Posts: 94
    Options
    It will give you amount of calories burned, but it is usually much lower than what my HRM says for workouts.

Fitbit lower than your HRM?? That's good to know, I figured it would be a little over so I've been subtracting about 200 calories. Now I can stop doing that :smile:
  • dr_firefly
    dr_firefly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I bought mine about 4 weeks ago and have used it every day so far. It measures steps, distance, floors(stairs), and it also has a kind of daily activity score. Lastly you can use it to measure your sleep efficiency.

I absolutely love it and it keeps me motivated. But of course it won't do the work for you ;-).

I recommend it though.

Oliver
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have noticed some people have worked out an estimate of their TDEE using fitbit with a HRM for workouts, but how does that work if fitbit only measures steps taken ? I am picking mine up tomorrow and had hoped it would give me a better ideal of my overall daily calorie burn.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I love mine! I found out yesterday though that going on the swings with the kids counts as flights of stairs! LOL
  • jenabbott00
    Options
    I am seriously considering buying one. I am looking for something that will accurately track the number of calories I burn during my zumba or kickboxing class. Is the fit bit accurate for that?
  • mhanley1961
    Options
    I love mine. For me, it seems to do a great job. Also, you cant beat their customer service. I recently lost mine, sent them an email asking if they could track it, and they replied that they couldnt, but they were sending me a replacement free of charge. Sure can't beat that
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am seriously considering buying one. I am looking for something that will accurately track the number of calories I burn during my zumba or kickboxing class. Is the fit bit accurate for that?

The Fitbit is fabulous...but NOT for Zumba or kickboxing, for those activities you really need a HRM.
  • teeny716
    teeny716 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love love love my Fitbit...it keeps track of everything steps, calories burn, stairs climb and distance and the website is awesome which is free when you buy the Fitbit. It really makes me more active to reach my daily goals and earn badget when you meet those goals. You can also link Myfitnesspal with your Fitbit account which is awesome too you just track your food and exercise on Myfitnesspal and the info will transfer to your Fitbit account and Fitbit will automatically transfer your steps and calories burn to Myfitnesspal. I think the Fitbit is so worthy the money. One time I left it home and I was soooo angry and soooo lost without it that now I have it with my cell phone so I will never ever leave it again. So...I say YES! YES! and YES! to the Fitbit.
  • dmwiseman
    dmwiseman Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love it!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have noticed some people have worked out an estimate of their TDEE using fitbit with a HRM for workouts, but how does that work if fitbit only measures steps taken ? I am picking mine up tomorrow and had hoped it would give me a better ideal of my overall daily calorie burn.

I use mine to determine my TDEE and how many calories I can eat in a day. I use MFP, the Fitbit, and my HRM together. I have set my activity level as sedentary on both MFP and Fitbit. For any exercise that Fitbit is not good at determining calorie burn i.e. Zumba, weighlifting, etc I use my HRM and record the time and calorie burn on MFP which it then sends to Fitbit to override that time period. It allows me to see at any point in the day if I need to eat more, or move more. I absolutely LOVE it and would not be without it.

Edited to add...The Fitbit can not determine heart rate and level of effort which is why I use the HRM for those more strenuous exercises.