Kara_xxx
Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
I just started baking my own bread.

Any ideas how best to log it reliably? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I enter the recipe and servings into the recipe builder here. It is time consuming but you only have to do it once :smile:
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    WTS. I find it hard to judge the number of servings though.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I used to bake my own bread from scratch every week including 15 minutes of kneading by hand. Talk about a workout LOL. I would freeze the loaves for the week. I had to give up making it because it tasted so good and I found it hard to resist eating too much :wink:
    Calculating the calories seems complicated at first but you only have to figure it out once.

1. I put the whole recipe into a recipe calculator (I find the spark recipes to be better, sorry MFP)

2. My recipe made three loaves so I would divide the recipe into three servings so I knew the calories per loaf.

3.I would weigh one baked loaf then divide the weight by 12, or how ever many slices you think your loaf would yield. Now you have the weight of one average slice.

4. Now you take the calories you calculated per loaf and divide that number by 12 to get the calories per slice, or simply increase the number of servings in the recipe calculator to reflect the total number of slices for the whole recipe (it would be 36 in my case, 3 loaves with 12 slices each)

5. make a custom food entry in your diary for one slice and don't forget to record the weight of the slice.

I hope this makes sense. It is really easier than it sounds and you only have to calculate your recipe once. Just remember to try and make your loaves as equal as possible when you divide your recipe into dough balls. I used to weigh the dough so each loaf was the same size.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Thank you all of you. :flowerforyou:

I was wondering if it was just a case of adding up all the ingredients (the flower, the yeast, any seeds you're using etc) and literally divide this by however many slices you're getting from your baked loaf. I thought it has to be more complicated than that, but clearly it isn't. :laugh:

I recently became suspicious just how loooong supermarket bread appears to stay "fresh" for, and have wondered about the heaps of additives that must be in them, and I quite enjoy baking, so I thought we'll make our own.

Made my first loaf of rye bread yesterday. It came out very nice but the crust almost takes your teeth out! :laugh:

I'll keep practicing! :drinker:
  • rosalang
    rosalang Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i log mine as granary homemade. it seems pretty accurate
  • freeli
    freeli Posts: 43
    Options
    I calculate it similar to sweetnlow. If i replace maybe rye with spelt or wheat I still use the same value to be honest, I don't bother too much.

T get the crust a bit softer try to spray a bit water all over the loaf immediately after you take it out of the oven and cover it with a clean kitchen towel until it has cooled down completely. That helps me.
  • agreenmess
    agreenmess Posts: 94
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    I do, but only because idiots pay me to.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I bake my own bread and yes definitely plug in the recipe and slice it up so you know how many servings are in it.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me want to pull out the bread machine. Om nom nom!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Would love to bake my own bread, can anyone link a recipe and equipment needed tins etc for a good small white / brown loaf that even i could make?
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bake my own bread, roll my own tortillas, make my own pizza crusts, even make my own crackers.

I typically just pick something in the database that seems like it would be pretty close, but sometimes I make my own entry and literally as you said just add it all together and divide by number of servings - as stated above - time consuming, but you only have to do it once.
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Softer crusts I pop a baking tray of boiling water into the oven... the steam keeps it softer :-) I bake a lot of bread for the family but don't count the calories because I cant eat it I'm coeliac so if anyone has a way of making wheat free bread that doesnt taste of vinegar/get so hard it knocks you out when it falls out the cupboard/break teeth/etc etc please tell me!!! lol

Good luck with it and enjoy it I always find the smell through the house wonderful!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Would love to bake my own bread, can anyone link a recipe and equipment needed tins etc for a good small white / brown loaf that even i could make?

I will in a little while here, I have a good one that makes 1 loaf not too big, and equipment is minimal!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options

I will in a little while here, I have a good one that makes 1 loaf not too big, and equipment is minimal!

Would be very much appreciated
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hi there.. I bake my own bread as well and to make the crust softer all you need to do is brush the loaf with water before putting it into the oven, then repeat ten minutes after it you put it in, then one more time another 10 minutes later.. I hope this isnt too confusing.. LOL have a great day and fun baking.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Softer crusts I pop a baking tray of boiling water into the oven... the steam keeps it softer :-) I bake a lot of bread for the family but don't count the calories because I cant eat it I'm coeliac so if anyone has a way of making wheat free bread that doesnt taste of vinegar/get so hard it knocks you out when it falls out the cupboard/break teeth/etc etc please tell me!!! lol

Good luck with it and enjoy it I always find the smell through the house wonderful!

There is a really great GF flatbread recipe on Gluten Free Cooking School dot com. It takes about 30 mins to make.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I enter the recipe and servings into the recipe builder here. It is time consuming but you only have to do it once :smile:

This for me aswell. I love baking my own bread :happy:
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-sandwich-bread-recipe
    Measure ingredients by weight, and try to make sure the ingredients you use are fresh. If you find that the dough is getting tough or isn't stretching out easily while you're kneading, let it rest for about 15 minutes on the counter under a cloth. Leaving the dough mixture sit for 30 minutes to and hour (covered) before kneading can help the dough develop a better texture and a more deep flavor. Baking at home can be delightful, and is thankfully pretty cheap to re-do when you mess it up. Kitchenaid owners take note- often the dough hook leaves some of the dough around the rim of the bowl, resulting in an incompletely kneaded loaf with a wonky texture. Have fun!

Edited for more things i wish someone had told me when i started baking at home.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    What she said. Only I did not do it every week. I did it once a month and would make about 12 loaves. They hold up in the freezer for quite a while. I don't buy much bread from the store. My family is always having some sort of get together and they always request my bread. When a loaf is done being cooked and cooled, I divide it up into single serving bags and keep the other "out of sight, out of mind" because I love my bread and want to eat it with everything!

When I started to reduce my carbs, my bread habit went with it. I still make break but not near as often as I used to. Now its a special treat.

I used to bake my own bread from scratch every week including 15 minutes of kneading by hand. Talk about a workout LOL. I would freeze the loaves for the week. I had to give up making it because it tasted so good and I found it hard to resist eating too much :wink:
    Calculating the calories seems complicated at first but you only have to figure it out once.

1. I put the whole recipe into a recipe calculator (I find the spark recipes to be better, sorry MFP)

2. My recipe made three loaves so I would divide the recipe into three servings so I knew the calories per loaf.

3.I would weigh one baked loaf then divide the weight by 12, or how ever many slices you think your loaf would yield. Now you have the weight of one average slice.

4. Now you take the calories you calculated per loaf and divide that number by 12 to get the calories per slice, or simply increase the number of servings in the recipe calculator to reflect the total number of slices for the whole recipe (it would be 36 in my case, 3 loaves with 12 slices each)

5. make a custom food entry in your diary for one slice and don't forget to record the weight of the slice.

I hope this makes sense. It is really easier than it sounds and you only have to calculate your recipe once. Just remember to try and make your loaves as equal as possible when you divide your recipe into dough balls. I used to weigh the dough so each loaf was the same size.